Something has to give. (QB Salaries)

Rayman70

Reaction score
The market will continue to be set by the Owner willing to pay the most. There is always going to be a team with a lot of cap space desperate to make a splash and get that cherished player. It happens with all the marquis positions.
I still think it will fall back down closer to what it should be...a more manageable range. Right now the QB salaries are taking teams over the fiscal cliff. Thats why your seeing buyers remorse in unlikely places like Seattle. We haven't heard this, but I bet you the Texans and Watson both need a trade to happen. I think the Texans never solved their cap issue after they gave the money to Watson.Moves like this are feast or famine. Now 5 months after he signed, the team is crumbling and in full rebuild mode. I contend that the signing triggered it. Terrible ownership in Houston.Shame on Watson for accepting the deal as well..especially if he knew he wasn't fully on board. Plenty of blame to go round...lots of insincere parties to blame.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I still think it will fall back down closer to what it should be...a more manageable range. Right now the QB salaries are taking teams over the fiscal cliff. Thats why your seeing buyers remorse in unlikely places like Seattle. We haven't heard this, but I bet you the Texans and Watson both need a trade to happen. I think the Texans never solved their cap issue after they gave the money to Watson.Moves like this are feast or famine. Now 5 months after he signed, the team is crumbling and in full rebuild mode. I contend that the signing triggered it. Terrible ownership in Houston.Shame on Watson for accepting the deal as well..especially if he knew he wasn't fully on board. Plenty of blame to go round...lots of insincere parties to blame.
Greed is a strong motivator yielding little satisfaction. When you look at what Belichick and Brady accomplished in NE, it's looking likely that will never be seen again in professional sports.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I have been critical of NFL GM’s emphasis on QB salaries and perceived “market value.” Right now Mahomes is probably at the top of the pecking order in terms of QBs. His salary averages $45m per year. That’s too much, but at least he is the best in the game.

Let’s say you bring in a journeyman QB placeholder to pair with a draft pick as a bridge to the future. What is the journeyman QB worth?

I would argue if he can’t get you to the SB—- not much. Why pay even half of what Mahomes is being paid, if the QB can’t deliver you a championship?

I have been saying for a long time that NFL coaches were looking for a specific type of player instead of the best football player. Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Drew Brees, Baker Mayfield....none of them (and others) fit the historical QB prototype.

Now that teams are looking outside the standard cookie cutter QB they are starting to find more viable QBs.

Back to salary—-Dak may get paid $40m per year but he is no where nearly as good as Mahomes. I wouldn’t pay Dak more than $35M —-and if he wanted more than that—-I would be looking for a new QB.

Dak can get you to a SB but man, he looked very pedestrian at times, especially against better competition. It’s arguable that he’s not even a top 10QB.

I would like to have Dak playing QB for us for the next 5 years. But $40m per year is stupid money, and I hope the Cowboys dig in and don’t pay it, if that is what Dak as asking for. Flip Dak for picks and move on.
There you go again, not understanding how the current economic climate works. It's not up to you to say what is "too much" to pay for a QB's services. That is up to the check writers of each organization. Also, Mahomes is unquestionably the current King of the NFL QB salary scale but that doesn't mean he is "the best" QB in the league. He may be on the best team on average for the past few years but as an individual, he was just bested by the GOAT, so spare me the "he's the best QB" groveling that you Mahomes worshipers tend to do. The sky is the limit for the QB salary as long as they seem to make all the difference in the world in a championship game when evenly matched everywhere else on the roster. Owners ARE that enamored by QBs.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Exclude all or most of the QBs salary from the cap. The owners can double the price of a coke to 30$ And let the fans make up the difference.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
QB contracts are hampering the cap. It is not a Dak issue. I'm a bit surprised the player's union hasn't taken this on. They are supposed to represent all players, even the ones fighting for a roster spot. When one player takes up a quarter of the cap it can't bode well for money flowing to everyone.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I have been critical of NFL GM’s emphasis on QB salaries and perceived “market value.” Right now Mahomes is probably at the top of the pecking order in terms of QBs. His salary averages $45m per year. That’s too much, but at least he is the best in the game.

Let’s say you bring in a journeyman QB placeholder to pair with a draft pick as a bridge to the future. What is the journeyman QB worth?

I would argue if he can’t get you to the SB—- not much. Why pay even half of what Mahomes is being paid, if the QB can’t deliver you a championship?

I have been saying for a long time that NFL coaches were looking for a specific type of player instead of the best football player. Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Drew Brees, Baker Mayfield....none of them (and others) fit the historical QB prototype.

Now that teams are looking outside the standard cookie cutter QB they are starting to find more viable QBs.

Back to salary—-Dak may get paid $40m per year but he is no where nearly as good as Mahomes. I wouldn’t pay Dak more than $35M —-and if he wanted more than that—-I would be looking for a new QB.

Dak can get you to a SB but man, he looked very pedestrian at times, especially against better competition. It’s arguable that he’s not even a top 10QB.

I would like to have Dak playing QB for us for the next 5 years. But $40m per year is stupid money, and I hope the Cowboys dig in and don’t pay it, if that is what Dak as asking for. Flip Dak for picks and move on.

This is where I fall out now. I think Dak is a good QB but not sure relative to the potential cost. Jerry’s stupidity has hurt the team again and brought us to this point. He should have done a deal right after Goff was done. Now the cost is 8-10 million higher. My biggest issue is that either way Dallas has to make a decision and run with it. This draft is too important. A really good QB might be there at 10 or Dallas can trade down and fix the Defense and OT.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
One can argue he was greedy in the sense that he declined the contract due to it being 5 years instead of 4 years in order to again capitalize on another possible big contract.....therefore if he was about being a Cowboy for life and helping to win a Super Bowl then why would he not accept the 5th year?
If that's the case, you can call any contract less than 20 years being "greedy"

blueblood70

Reaction score
this cannot continue. The more money you pay them, the more power and control they want and believe they have. Cannot have the employee owning the company in a defacto way...or calling the player moves. That is ridiculous. It will destroy the league.Just look at Wilson and Watson right now. Look at Aaron Rodgers..how many times has he basically threatened to walk if A,B AND C doesn't happen? OWNERS own...sign checks, players get paid very well TO PLAY...they are the employee. Dak has been told by Todd France a bunch of lies. He has poisoned his mind into thinking HE is calling the shots. Jerry will respond in kind very soon. Promise you that.
:hammer::popcorn:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Zeke gets **** on just about every game he plays by quite a few people here.
24-7 hate thats for sure this dude must have hid under rock if he thinks Zeke, Dlaw, and JS and now LC gets hurt and hes loser..attack of the fan part 3

LittleD

Reaction score

I agree with everything except for what you pay Dak. To me, he's just outside the top 10 QB's and only worth 29-30mil per season. I don't think Dak is enough of a difference maker to justify more money than that. Will some team overpay, yep. Jerry should let some other team pony up.

LittleD

Reaction score
24-7 hate thats for sure this dude must have hid under rock if he thinks Zeke, Dlaw, and JS and now LC gets hurt and hes loser..attack of the fan part 3

We've already blown most of our cap on marginal players who underperform. Dak would just add to the pile of wasted money. Time to blow it up, pump and dump, rebuild and retool.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
I've covered up for Dak but not anymore. That wanting a 4 year instead of 5 that was offered holds no water. Why not? Because everyone knows had Dak kept playing very well, Jerry would have gladly given Dak a second big contract extension with at least still a year left. In other words, a 2nd big contract offer after 4 years instead of the full 5 year contract. Dak is simply being greedy. Super greedy.
Nah these guys careers are too short, and there is too much money in the NFL for them to be worried about being called greedy.

aikemirv

Reaction score
You are already seeing a reset with Goff and Wentz. It will continue going forward.

Flamma

Reaction score
Greed is a strong motivator yielding little satisfaction. When you look at what Belichick and Brady accomplished in NE, it's looking likely that will never be seen again in professional sports.

It can happen. You just need willing participants, major pieces focused on one goal, winning. But sacrificing some money in order to do so. So no, you'll never again see it in the NFL.

I'm going to call it now. Next year will mark only the second time in league history the same teams made it to the SB in consecutive years. Mahomes is on the 5th year of his rookie contract and Brady is taking up an acceptable % of the cap as to not hinder their chances. Both are great quarterbacks not taking up much cap space. Their competition will be limited.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Anybody read the title and start hearing Let the bodies hit the floor in their head?
Maybe too niche for this forum.

you did make me youtube it though, haven't listened to it for years.

Last edited: