Something has to give. (QB Salaries)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's why none of this ever made any sense.

I mean, why not add something like 3/160 on the back end of the deal if that where France thinks things are going? The team can cut Dak but if they did, what makes France think anyone else would give him the same money or more?

I'm thinking he just wants to be in the news again.
France isn't the one wanting to be in the news. He doesn't have to, that player network within the NFL knows exactly what agents are getting for their players.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If you pay a QB that much money every year, you wind up with a defense like we had last year. Get a defense like Tampa and we don't need to pay Dak all that money.
None of this makes sense. They had that defense last year WITHOUT PAYING THE QUARTERBACK.

Tampa's defense isn't what you're making it out to be. They get torched if KC is healthy on the OL

Rayman70

Reaction score
The QB market needs a reset, and the phrase "this is the going market rate" or something similar needs to be buried. Just because it a certain QBs time for a contract doesn't mean he gets paid top tier money i.e. Carr, Cousins n Garrapollo.

I don't think the Cowboys can afford Dak, at this point...they should've paid years ago if they wanted him. Now it's get what you can for him or not a team built around him that can win.
agree 100% ..

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
After this draft class of QB's - there will likely be another 4 potential starters that are on their first deal - approx 1/2 the league. On top of that, your high priced star QB's are all approaching the end - Big Ben, Brees, Brady, Rivers - 4 out of the top 10.

If analytics start creeping more into the NFL, draft a young QB - keep your cap hit reasonable for 4-5 years. Spend to make those around them better and not 20% of cap for the QB. This eventually should effect the top figures getting so crazy as there would be less teams wanting to pay top money for a mid tier QB.

This of course all depends on the success of these young QB's - but if I were a GM, that's how I would approach it right now.

Tag and trade Dak to someone looking to still pay QB huge money (even if you just get a 1st and a 2nd)
Draft Mac Jones
You'll have him surrounded by hopefully a healthy and improved Oline, good RB, and top WR group.
Stock up in draft on defense and spend the saved cap money on defense as well.

Basically you'd have to decide which is better for the team

Dak on long term deal

or

Extra draft picks
2 FA starters on D
Cap flexibility in future.
Risky QB bet - with vet back up (Dalton, Smith, McCoy)

Running a quick mock draft without the potential draft stock on a Dak trade (Trade down to 18 with Dolphins for 18 and 36)

1. Mac Jones - QB
2. Trevon Moehrig - S
2. Greg Newsome - CB
3. Jabril Cox - LB
3. Tyler Shelvin - DT
4. Adrian Early - OT
4. Paulson Adebo - CB
5. Jamin Davis - LB
6. Nick Eubanks - TE
6. Rakeem Boyd - RB
7. Jose Borregales - K

Probably looking to draft another LB or CB with the other potential 1st rounder (Nick Bolten, Zaven Collins or Jaycee Horn were all available after 20th pick)

Rayman70

Reaction score
the NFL isn't an endless gravy train. ALL good things must end as they say. The market must reset itself and self correct. The salaries cannot go on like this and keep the NFL solvent and run like a real business/sports league.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
the NFL isn't an endless gravy train. ALL good things must end as they say. The market must reset itself and self correct. The salaries cannot go on like this and keep the NFL solvent and run like a real business/sports league.

True but then hard to argue that point when NFL TV contracts are about to double in size adding over 100 Billion in revenues over the next 10 years.

Rayman70

Reaction score
True but then hard to argue that point when NFL TV contracts are about to double in size adding over 100 Billion in revenues over the next 10 years.
agree, its hard to see it now, but we know its inevitable.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
agree, its hard to see it now, but we know its inevitable.

True then again I would have never have imaged it would have gotten to where it is today. Growing up I remember Nolan Ryan being the 1st athlete getting a million dollar deal in 1979, then Hershal Walker getting 1.5 mill from the USFL in 1980 and Bruce Matthews who was the 1st NFL to have a base salary of 1 mill. If you told me then that players would be getting an avg of 40 mill I would have laughed at you. Now it is reality

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is just the designated portion that goes to the players. The TV money and gambling are what's driving the salaries up, not the owners. They'd like to be paying no more than 10M for any QB.

Interesting when you compare the NFL salaries 10 or even 5 years ago with that of MLB and NBA players. The NFL QB's caught up quickly.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not that I don't believe you, but where did you see this? Everything I've read only highlighted the years in Dak's counteroffer.

Correct they wanted 4 years but declined to lower their guaranteed money hence the impass.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
NFL teams seldom have the QB operate under center now I would guess 95% of the plays are ran out of shotgun. Teams don't have time to have QB adjust to the NFL so the NFL adjusted to the QB and as more guys see quick success more likely teams will look to make changes at QB sooner which will bring the cost down.

Excellent point.

Of course the obvious exception is Tom Brady, who operates under center most of the time. It’s more difficult but it’s much more effective since it opens up the possibility of play action which can be deadly.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Last edited:

Beaker42

Reaction score
You made a very good argument for not paying Dak more than $35 mil, which I agree, but you lost all credibility when you said Dak is no where near Mahomes or even in the Top 10 best QBs. That's a bunch of bunk, and everyone knows that. Dak is definitely Top 5 - 7 and is pretty good compared to Mahomes. The film and stats don't lie.

Since Dak is being reported to have passed up on $30 mil back in 2018... $35 mil back in 2019... and now demanding between $40 - $45 to become the 2nd highest paid player ever after Mahomes, it is clear Dak is all about the money. He has the audacity to claim he deserves respect? Pfft!

Jerry needs to put the non-exclusive franchise tag on Dak IMMEDIATELY and allow other teams to bid on Dak. If no one offers $35 mil or higher, you have the option to keep Dak at $35 mil or less per year. If someone offers him more, let them have Dak... as long as they compensate the Cowboys with two 1st round picks. From there, Jerry could decide to bring in a veteran QB for much cheaper while drafting another QB for the future. Heck, maybe trade a 2nd and a conditional 4th for Russell Wilson and pick up his remaining much cheaper contract for now.

As for Dak, he can go skate for his ridiculous overpaid riches somewhere else. Your greed lost me, Dak!!!!
Mahomes makes throws Dak hasn’t even dreamt of yet.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Excellent point.

Of course the obvious exception is Tom Brady, who operates under center most of the time. It’s more difficult but it’s much more effective since it opens up the possibility of play action which can be deadly.

Sure but he is one of the few who is more NFL style offense and that was 21 years ago. Brady is not going to pull the ball and run. But even Brady sat a year behind Bledsoe and QB were still expected to be able to take snaps from under center. I think NFL found it was easier to bring a QB in and keep many of the things they have been doing in college than trying to put them in uncomfortable system where it would take more time.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I have been critical of NFL GM’s emphasis on QB salaries and perceived “market value.” Right now Mahomes is probably at the top of the pecking order in terms of QBs. His salary averages $45m per year. That’s too much, but at least he is the best in the game.

Let’s say you bring in a journeyman QB placeholder to pair with a draft pick as a bridge to the future. What is the journeyman QB worth?

I would argue if he can’t get you to the SB—- not much. Why pay even half of what Mahomes is being paid, if the QB can’t deliver you a championship?

I have been saying for a long time that NFL coaches were looking for a specific type of player instead of the best football player. Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Drew Brees, Baker Mayfield....none of them (and others) fit the historical QB prototype.

Now that teams are looking outside the standard cookie cutter QB they are starting to find more viable QBs.

Back to salary—-Dak may get paid $40m per year but he is no where nearly as good as Mahomes. I wouldn’t pay Dak more than $35M —-and if he wanted more than that—-I would be looking for a new QB.

Dak can get you to a SB but man, he looked very pedestrian at times, especially against better competition. It’s arguable that he’s not even a top 10QB.

I would like to have Dak playing QB for us for the next 5 years. But $40m per year is stupid money, and I hope the Cowboys dig in and don’t pay it, if that is what Dak as asking for. Flip Dak for picks and move on.
so this was a back handed way of complaining about Dak!!!! so just come out and say that.

and what you described is QB market as you said. it is what it is.....at some point, an NFL owner may decide not to sign one. go cheap. but so far it hasn't happened. and Wilson got a 35M contract 3 years ago....his next contract is at least 45 if not more...Rodgers will get one more big pay day and he may decide to do the brady thing since he has had several contracts and is chasing the ring. Watson got 40M. he has had 2 4 win seasons. Allen, Jackson contracts are up next and you bet they will be in the mid 40s range....

and don't forget Mahomes got a contract before his previous contract was done. he got early money and his average salary is not 45, but closer to 50M.

and your statement about not paying Dak 35M make zero sense. if he is not good, then why even pay him at all. your stand should be I don't want him and let him walk......what's the difference between 35 and 40M...yes, mathematically 5M but is that such a big deal....if you think Dak at 35 is the QB of the future, why would he not be at 40? will his skills diminish the more money he gets!!!!

and you want to know what's stupid. NBA players getting 50M a year gauranteed contracts. Baseball players getting 10 year gauranteed 400M contracts. that's stupid money. NFL players have the shortest life span and injuries happen more often (see Dak).....

so if you are not in with Dak at 40M...then lets just try to trade him and move on...but I like 35 but not 40...that never makes any sense.....

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay more than the 30 mill Dak isn't even worth. Russell Wilson is worth his contract, Dak is probably worth 22-25 no where near 40.

Verdict

Reaction score
so this was a back handed way of complaining about Dak!!!! so just come out and say that.

and what you described is QB market as you said. it is what it is.....at some point, an NFL owner may decide not to sign one. go cheap. but so far it hasn't happened. and Wilson got a 35M contract 3 years ago....his next contract is at least 45 if not more...Rodgers will get one more big pay day and he may decide to do the brady thing since he has had several contracts and is chasing the ring. Watson got 40M. he has had 2 4 win seasons. Allen, Jackson contracts are up next and you bet they will be in the mid 40s range....

and don't forget Mahomes got a contract before his previous contract was done. he got early money and his average salary is not 45, but closer to 50M.

and your statement about not paying Dak 35M make zero sense. if he is not good, then why even pay him at all. your stand should be I don't want him and let him walk......what's the difference between 35 and 40M...yes, mathematically 5M but is that such a big deal....if you think Dak at 35 is the QB of the future, why would he not be at 40? will his skills diminish the more money he gets!!!!

and you want to know what's stupid. NBA players getting 50M a year gauranteed contracts. Baseball players getting 10 year gauranteed 400M contracts. that's stupid money. NFL players have the shortest life span and injuries happen more often (see Dak).....

so if you are not in with Dak at 40M...then lets just try to trade him and move on...but I like 35 but not 40...that never makes any sense.....
I’m just being reasonable. Don’t mind me.