Something I noticed about WR patterns

starfrombirth

Reaction score
On the NFL network they were showing highlight about TO being covered last week BUT on every single one of those throws, there was another wr totally uncovered running down the field. So much for Romo saying he was going to throw it to the open receiver. I mean they were WIDE open. :bang2: on at least 4 plays.

pgreptom

Reaction score
It was pretty obvious to me(at least) that Romo was forcing it to T.O. T.O would be his first look, he wouldn't be open, and he'd just try to pop it in there.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
yeah but thats really nothing new...it happens basically every game, and its not always when he forces the ball to TO either...sometimes he just out and out doesnt see people

as scary good as his numbers usually are, if he did a better job of picking up some of these other options when they were wide open, his numbers would really be amazing

cowboyz

Reaction score
EA matchup showed what the Commanders were doing.

they'd show one presnap look. with a safety up, then run that safety back.

they just got the best of tony because the Commanders didn't respect the team speed of dallas.

Commanders gambled and won.

Boysboy

Reaction score
dbair1967;2307662 said:
yeah but thats really nothing new...it happens basically every game, and its not always when he forces the ball to TO either...sometimes he just out and out doesnt see people

as scary good as his numbers usually are, if he did a better job of picking up some of these other options when they were wide open, his numbers would really be amazing

Happened in the Buffalo game last year when he kept locking onto Witten.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
cowboyz;2307665 said:
EA matchup showed what the Commanders were doing.

they'd show one presnap look. with a safety up, then run that safety back.

they just got the best of tony because the Commanders didn't respect the team speed of dallas.

Commanders gambled and won.

we should have been able to run them (or anyone else) out of that defense, but the OL really sucked last week...they said it was because of 8 man fronts, but the vast majority of the running plays the Skins werent in an 8 man front when we actually snapped the ball...we just didnt block anybody

cowboyz

Reaction score
dbair1967;2307669 said:
we should have been able to run them (or anyone else) out of that defense, but the OL really sucked last week...they said it was because of 8 man fronts, but the vast majority of the running plays the Skins werent in an 8 man front when we actually snapped the ball...we just didnt block anybody
correction, cory proctor didn't block anybody

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
cowboyz;2307672 said:
correction, cory proctor didn't block anybody

he was definitely the biggest problem, but even as a group they did not play well...we dont see the coaches grades, but I'd bet quite a bit that as a unit last week was by far the lowest the OL graded out this yr

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
starfrombirth;2307613 said:
On the NFL network they were showing highlight about TO being covered last week BUT on every single one of those throws, there was another wr totally uncovered running down the field. So much for Romo saying he was going to throw it to the open receiver. I mean they were WIDE open. :bang2: on at least 4 plays.
I saw that segment also and was really disappointed Romo didn't take advantage of this. I'm surprised Aikman didn't point this out in that game.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
starfrombirth;2307613 said:

What you don't see is the safety over the top. Those shots they show of individual routes on ESPN never have the deep safeties in view.

I promise you that there arent players running wide open down the field every play.

Marktui

Reaction score
I understand you see them open, BUT, your seeing it from on overhead view and maybe slow motion. Lets try it from field level with 4 guys trying to take you down.

Maybe he had to get rid of the ball before that receiver broke open. I understand what your saying about Romo trying to force it into TO, but, lets cut him some slack.

On the same replays, I saw some obvious holding on Springs that the refs were not calling. I mean on the shallow crossing routes that TO is famous for, Springs was not letting him go so TO could not accelerate and get the ball.

LongSnapper

Reaction score
Marktui;2307711 said:
I understand you see them open, BUT, your seeing it from on overhead view and maybe slow motion. Lets try it from field level with 4 guys trying to take you down.

Maybe he had to get rid of the ball before that receiver broke open. I understand what your saying about Romo trying to force it into TO, but, lets cut him some slack.

On the same replays, I saw some obvious holding on Springs that the refs were not calling. I mean on the shallow crossing routes that TO is famous for, Springs was not letting him go so TO could not accelerate and get the ball.

:hammer: Well put

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;2307669 said:

I'm not sure you can have a 'vast majority' out of 8. Sounds like they suckered us into abandoning the run with their pre-snap looks - not a good show by Garrett or Romo.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Marktui;2307711 said:

NO! at the same time the ball was thrown to TO, both crayton and Austin were open with the safety 10 yards away. TO was covered from the get go, he should have already been to his 2nd and 3rd reads. Sorry but Tony screwed up last week. No, I couldn't do better but Tony is supposed to be an Elite qb. He needs to see those open receivers and hit them.