Something to think about regarding our 1st round pick

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hayseed, Apr 29, 2022.

1. RodeoJake

RodeoJake Well-Known Member

3,219 Messages
    5,637 Likes Received
    The youngin hasn't had the benefit of having even decent coaching. You cain't learn what ain't taught.

2. kevm3

kevm3 Well-Known Member

8,063 Messages
    10,491 Likes Received
    So is he really going to get that coaching here to clean up his penalties when we were one of the most penalized teams in the league last year?

bigE79 and Creeper like this.
  3. Kingofholland

Kingofholland Well-Known Member

3,366 Messages
    3,267 Likes Received
    What a positive view!!!!

DogFace likes this.
  4. MountaineerCowboy

MountaineerCowboy Well-Known Member

14,160 Messages
    26,925 Likes Received
    It's not about being positive or negative. I prefer a realistic view.

Show me, don't tell me.

I hope you're not still falling for this stuff 26 years on thinking this is our year. At some point you guys are going to have to start expecting them to do something instead of just blindly believing in them year after year. They need to earn our trust.

bigE79 and fivetwos like this.
  5. DogFace

DogFace Carharris2

11,150 Messages
    12,538 Likes Received

Credit to Big Game James for sharing this.

Techsass and maryquality like this.
  6. DogFace

DogFace Carharris2

11,150 Messages
    12,538 Likes Received
    They need to earn trust? This isn’t a stray cat or friend that frequently gets out of control drunk. It’s a team we follow. So we hope they will do well. And hope the pick does well-which many have.

What is expecting them to do something mean?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    BobSacamano and adamknite like this.
  7. Creeper

Creeper Well-Known Member

7,471 Messages
    9,578 Likes Received
    Are people unhappy taking on offensive lineman, or are they unhappy with taking Tyler Smith? I think it is the latter.

8. Whyjerry

Whyjerry Well-Known Member

11,822 Messages
    18,844 Likes Received
    100 pct true. A great OL makes everything better. Dallas has been average to bad the last couple years. They needed to do something in this draft. I think there is going to be more than 1 OLineman taken this year.

9. Kingofholland

Kingofholland Well-Known Member

3,366 Messages
    3,267 Likes Received
    Believing no matter what is done everything will fail isn't a realistic view either. Cowboys should be competitive, but on paper at the moment no I don't think they've done enough to be better. Improvement will have to come from a more disciplined team and intern growth.

Techsass likes this.
  10. MountaineerCowboy

MountaineerCowboy Well-Known Member

14,160 Messages
    26,925 Likes Received
    I'll stop being doom and gloom when it comes to the Cowboys when I stop being right.

11. kevm3

kevm3 Well-Known Member

8,063 Messages
    10,491 Likes Received
    Pretty much. This looks like one of those 'raw project players with great traits' that, give us a year of decent performance. At least this guy pops out on tape somewhat, but the amount of penalties are extremely concerning. I feel like he's more of an LVE type of pick where we might be surprised by a decent year but those penalties will come at times we least need them to.

12. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

21,048 Messages
    19,322 Likes Received
    I am extremely happy we selected Oline in the first round as it was our most pressing need.

bigE79 likes this.
  13. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

19,989 Messages
    17,299 Likes Received
    I saw that we needed a better oline coach. Saw that all year.

Techsass likes this.
  14. Creeper

Creeper Well-Known Member

7,471 Messages
    9,578 Likes Received
    I just heard Skip Bayless on the radio saying he was talking to the coach at Tulsa who claimed Tyler Smith was at one point going to transfer to Alabama, at Alabama's request. The Tulsa coach described him as a monster. But as Skip also pointed out the Cowboys had a major penalty problem in 2021 and they just drafter the most penalized player in college football.

Techsass likes this.
  15. Fastpitch Dad

Fastpitch Dad Well-Known Member

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    1,057 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    Well said Hayseed, I personally loved the pick.

16. Preoccupied

Preoccupied Well-Known Member

728 Messages
    815 Likes Received
    I am thinking let's see what he is like in the trenches which is September or w/e he starts.
    Until that point .......exactly .........over to you OL coach, train him and send him out to war.....

17. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

48,581 Messages
    26,486 Likes Received
    You just see Mike McCarthy sitting between Jerry and Stephen like a bump on a log and realize we really have no advantage in the coaching department.
    We have the talent; we need the coaching. Otherwise, we'll squander our talent year after year like the Minnesota Vikings in the late 90s. It's a shame that a team with Robert Smith at tailback, Randy Moss and Cris Carter at receiver, Randall Cunningham at quarterback, John Randle at defensive tackle couldn't get to the Super Bowl for what would have been probably the most spectacular Super Bowl ever played between the Vikings and the Broncos.
    But the Falcons' game plan was better, and that's what coaching does for a team.

18. offlimits

offlimits Active Member

161 Messages
    128 Likes Received

...after the car wreck. He then lacked mobility and had to grab more.

19. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    23,098 Messages
    21,124 Likes Received
    He’s also 21 and already a powerful, strong player who will get stronger in the nfl
    I don’t know if he can be a LT but he could be a monster at guard once he learns it. I do question his ability to be a day one starter like we need

Techsass and CWR like this.
  20. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    23,098 Messages
    21,124 Likes Received
    He played only tackle in college. Most tackles can play guard. It’s a much easier position
    It’s fairly common for tackles to start out playing guard if they aren’t really finished products

Techsass likes this.