News: Sometimes it's the moves that you don't make

ultron

Reaction score
Hopefully he doesn’t go to Washington or Philadelphia.
He’s going to Philly, they have 3 first round picks (Dolphins, Colts, and their own) that are all currently in the top 10 of this years draft, and he fits exactly what they look for in a QB.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember when a lot of fans were campaigning for the Cowboys to trade for Jamal Adams. The Seahawks ultimately did, giving up two 1st round picks-plus for him. They've since had to make him the league's highest-paid safety, and both he and their entire defense are now a mess.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...t-pete-carroll-says-not-to-blame-any-one-guy/

Sometimes, it's as much about what you don't do as what you do.
I agree with you, Jerry is a genius GM!!!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if the same fans that whined about giving up a 1st round pick are the same ones that wanted to do the same for Adams plus more picks. :laugh:

As well give big bucks to other FA’s that have done nothing for their teams, but whine about Dak and Zeke deals.
Brady is the only FA that comes to mind that really impacted the new team, and his old team.

Havic

Reaction score
What's crazy is they are not having him rush the passer near as much. You gave up a premium of picks and cap space to sign the guy for this very reason. You paid him to get to the QB, not because of his pass protection skills. I wanted Adams but not for near what Seattle gave up.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
The reason we wanted Adams was because our defemse was soft with no attitude. Just look at Jaylon and LVE and his weak reaction to people clowning Jaylon. Those were the 2 guys manning the middle of the d. So yea, people wanted some dogs in the middle. Its jerrys fault that we wanted Adams. Donovan Wilson and Kearse have plenty of dawg and if we had them at their current form instead of Woods and Heath nobody would've asked for Adams.

Lets tell the full story

I always liked Woods. Not saying we miss him or need him, but he seems to be doing okay with the Vikings. He's still pretty young, might end up being a very good safety.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I wanted Jamaal Adams on the Cowboys, but I knew the price was going to be too high. Compensation + New Mega Contract is bad business especially for a Safety.

Cowboys did the right thing and found decent Ss for cheap. Kudos to McClay n Stephen.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I remember when a lot of fans were campaigning for the Cowboys to trade for Jamal Adams. The Seahawks ultimately did, giving up two 1st round picks-plus for him. They've since had to make him the league's highest-paid safety, and both he and their entire defense are now a mess.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...t-pete-carroll-says-not-to-blame-any-one-guy/

Yes, but each bad move, there's a good move that a team made that helped put it over the top. Where would our '90s teams have been without Charles Haley or Deion Sanders? Would we have those three Super Bowls?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well said. Many fans get too enamored with names everyone’s heard of rather than our own young players with more upside on rookie contracts or even future draft picks that are the future. Big names don’t always equal big results.
Yes, but each bad move, there's a good move that a team made that helped put it over the top. Where would our '90s teams have been without Charles Haley or Deion Sanders? Would we have those three Super Bowls?
The Charles Haley and Deion Sanders moves were totally different than moves today. First of all, Haley was 28 when we acquired him and was already under contract. That was pre-salary cap days. Sanders was also 28, but was a FA but it was a very different financial climate then. Both players were literally in their primes and had no prior major injuries.

In the case of Stephon Gilmore, he’s 31, coming off a major injury, and would probably be a “rent a player” because of future salary cap issues. Not at all the same as the Haley/Sanders moves. Besides, we just drafted a CB in round 2 and we haven’t even seen what he could do yet.

Last edited:

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
The reason we wanted Adams was because our defemse was soft with no attitude. Just look at Jaylon and LVE and his weak reaction to people clowning Jaylon. Those were the 2 guys manning the middle of the d. So yea, people wanted some dogs in the middle. Its jerrys fault that we wanted Adams. Donovan Wilson and Kearse have plenty of dawg and if we had them at their current form instead of Woods and Heath nobody would've asked for Adams.

Lets tell the full story

Lol.

This is the same drivel as “leader of men.” Probably the same group, too.

Talent wins out. I don’t care if Demarcus Ware was seen as more quiet. I’d gladly take another one of him in the draft.

Accumulate talent. Let the coaches figure out the personalities. “Dawg or no dawg” like that actually matters nearly as much as talent.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think sometimes people hype certain players up to the point where no player can play at that unrealistic level. Adams is a good player, though I think he is a lot like Roy Williams where he struggles in pass coverage. I don't think he was ever worth the draft picks the Jets wanted, or the money he was paid. This is why I harp on the Cowboys overpaying certain players, good players. You need 22 guys on the field to win the Super Bowl, and if you overpay 5 or 6 guys too much it means putting lesser player on the field everywhere else.