News: Sometimes it's the moves that you don't make

visionary

Reaction score
I remember when a lot of fans were campaigning for the Cowboys to trade for Jamal Adams. The Seahawks ultimately did, giving up two 1st round picks-plus for him. They've since had to make him the league's highest-paid safety, and both he and their entire defense are now a mess.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...t-pete-carroll-says-not-to-blame-any-one-guy/

Sometimes, it's as much about what you don't do as what you do.

no intelligent football fan would have ever supported this sort of move

it was a crazy move by the Seahawks

totally crazy

conner01

Reaction score
It's shocking to see the defense for a Pete Carroll team play and rank so poorly. If Wilson moves on, they're quickly in total rebuild mode. Would Carroll want to stick around for that?
My guess is no
He’s lost the brains behind the SB teams and he could get a nice cushy college job till he’s ready to hang it up
A RW doesn’t come along everyday and just the right time when they had a good team

Kingofholland

Reaction score
The irony behind it is. The people here who wanted Adams and ridiculed Jerry for not getting him, would be the exact same people hating on Jerry now for making the trade.

Totally accurate, or if you didn't want it would watch only Adams every play hoping for failure.

waving monkey

Reaction score
The reason we wanted Adams was because our defemse was soft with no attitude. Just look at Jaylon and LVE and his weak reaction to people clowning Jaylon. Those were the 2 guys manning the middle of the d. So yea, people wanted some dogs in the middle. Its jerrys fault that we wanted Adams. Donovan Wilson and Kearse have plenty of dawg and if we had them at their current form instead of Woods and Heath nobody would've asked for Adams.

Lets tell the full story
we are better off having our players then having Jamal but no doubt Jamal is a great player/ I think good teams dont throw around their big draft capital because of the huge salaries in todays game

kskboys

Reaction score

kskboys

Reaction score
If I'm the Seahawks I may move on from Carroll. He's been trading away picks left and right and the team has gotten worse. Trading Wilson would bring a lot of draft capital to rebuild the team under a newer, younger coach.

No one likes the R word but that team isn't competing for anything as it stands now.
Carroll inherited a team 7 deep at the DT position. I do not believe he even understands what he had. That was the real legion of boom. He immediately started releasing them after super bowl.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I remember when a lot of fans were campaigning for the Cowboys to trade for Jamal Adams. The Seahawks ultimately did, giving up two 1st round picks-plus for him. They've since had to make him the league's highest-paid safety, and both he and their entire defense are now a mess.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...t-pete-carroll-says-not-to-blame-any-one-guy/

Yup - I'd rather have Cee Dee Lamb and Micah Parsons than Prez :D

glimmerman

Reaction score
Fans think that this one position that’s not the QB will make all the difference on a team and will put them over the top.

THE NFL IS A TEAM GAME. STRAIGHT UP ITS A TEAM GAME. REALIZE SOMETHING. THIS IS AGAIN A TEAM GAME.

Remember when earl thomas was all we needed. Lmao.. you silly rabbit.

But look at this year with good D-Line play and we have decent safety play. These youngsters are going off.

Imagine if we locked into that contract. IMO D-Law was a bad contract. Cost us money that kills us this year when we have ALOT of starters that will demand and deserve a decent contract.

This could be a year we get the ring. After the players will get picked apart by other teams offering more money than we can pay. We look bad on the books after this year unless we dump some players contract. But who.

T-RO

Reaction score
So are we going to act like Adams wouldn’t help this defense lol?

Memo just in: Adams would not help our defense. At least in the Not For Long league.

Compare:
Kearse. 69.4, 18 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 2 QB hits
Kazee, 67.1 PFF, 1 Forced Fumble, 1 INT, 3 Passes Defended
Adams: 55.5 PFF, 0 sacks, 0 QB hits, 0 forced fumbles, 2 Tackles for loss...poor coverage

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Joey Galloway? WR Roy Williams?

I agreed that there are bad moves; that's what makes it so tough. Tampa Bay signed Brady after a down season with New England and despite the fact that he's ancient, and that worked out pretty good. They signed a tight end who had retired, and that worked out pretty good. They signed a receiver who had burned bridges with teams, that worked out pretty good.

Look through the rosters of every Super Bowl team and you'll find some key free agent signings or trades. Here, we are hoping Neal, Kazee, Kearse, Watkins, Urban and Cooper (the most comparable to Galloway, Roy Williams and Adams as far as cost goes) will help bring us that kind of success.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Memo just in: Adams would not help our defense. At least in the Not For Long league.

Compare:
Kearse. 69.4, 18 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 2 QB hits
Kazee, 67.1 PFF, 1 Forced Fumble, 1 INT, 3 Passes Defended
Adams: 55.5 PFF, 0 sacks, 0 QB hits, 0 forced fumbles, 2 Tackles for loss...poor coverage
How can someone good against the run not help this defense? I’m confused?

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I think it’s also about timing. A lot of these moves we were going to make as if we were “one piece away” in seasons when we really weren’t. We sat back and tried to maybe convince ourselves we were but really at best maybe that player would have won us our division with luck.

I feel we have a team this year in a league most importantly that’s wide open that’s more complete than we have been in a long time. I would have been ok with the Gilmore move bc of this but understand why we passed when you look at the financials.

T-RO

Reaction score
How can someone good against the run not help this defense? I’m confused?

Adams is a safety. What is job responsibility #1 for all safeties?

If Adams isn't good in coverage (he's not!) then he's not a good safety. Period.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
The reason we wanted Adams was because our defemse was soft with no attitude. Just look at Jaylon and LVE and his weak reaction to people clowning Jaylon. Those were the 2 guys manning the middle of the d. So yea, people wanted some dogs in the middle. Its jerrys fault that we wanted Adams. Donovan Wilson and Kearse have plenty of dawg and if we had them at their current form instead of Woods and Heath nobody would've asked for Adams.

Lets tell the full story
#triggered

pancakeman

Reaction score
Carroll's 70 years old. Gotta think *retire* sounds better to him than *rebuild* at this point.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Adams is a safety. What is job responsibility #1 for all safeties?

If Adams isn't good in coverage (he's not!) then he's not a good safety. Period.
Adams just like Parsons lined up all over the field. You guys are excited about Neal’s play? Adams has been doing that and more. Y’all are getting ahead of yourself. He’s struggling this year but Adams has been great his whole career.

willia451

Reaction score
If you don't believe in something, you'll fall for anything. You don't trade away first round picks unless everyone agrees you are one player away from the SB.

That's why I was philosophically opposed to the Amari Cooper trade when it was made in 2018. Nobody thought we were one player away. It was a move that was specifically made to save the 2018 season and give Garrett & Co. new life.

And that's not a good enough reason. At least not for me.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

They made a mistake trading all that for him and then compounding the problem by miss using him. Adams has to be used to attack, you have to move him around and send him after the QB. Not sit back every play in a zone. He has coverage, he wasnt a liability before, but thats not where he is making his money.

Given the contract situation, even a single first was too much. I think his real value was more like a #2. He was one of the better S's in the NFL when he was traded, but he doesnt take the ball away. As silly as it may sound, Id rather have Wilson

baltcowboy

Reaction score

You know what is frightening about the Seattle situation is that if we offered two of Kearse/Wilson and Kazee/Hooker for Adams they would probably do the trade.