Songs that should have been bigger hits when they were released

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What songs can you think of that are great songs but for one reason or another didn't sell?

I offer three:

Buddy Holly's "True Love Ways" which was released after his death and charted in the UK but never charted in the US. Just a beautiful song. Maybe his best IMO.

Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World". It was the best selling single in the UK in '68 but never broke the Billboard top 100 in the US. We hear it all the time in various places. A legitimately great song.

And here's a song that I think is terrific, and again its a song we hear all the time...

The Rolling Stones "She's a Rainbow". Only reached the 10th position in the Billboard top 100.

cowboyec

Reaction score
my Elvis top 5
•Big Boss Man....w/Jerry Reed on guitar...this is a classic recording...damn near perfect.
stalled just inside the top 40 but should've charted MUCH higher...fusion of r&b,rock and country w/gospel flair.
•Guitar Man...w/Jerry Reed...another classic from the same session as Big Boss Man....Elvis tears into this classic that charted outside the top 40.It was used to perfection in the great 68 comeback special.
Elvis' vocals on the single are priceless....should've been atleast a top 10 hit.
•I've Lost You...recorded at the historic nashville marathon sessions in June of 1970...it was Elvis' 2nd top 40 single.....stalling inside the 30s.Beautiful ballad....solid arrangement.....Elvis' vocals carry the day here...it was released as a forerunner to the classic Thats The Way It Is LP....rca used a LIVE version on that album...but I think the studio version...used on the single...was better.Hauntingly beautiful....raw....real.....probably too ambitious at the time.
•I'm Leavin.....recorded in '71....the single stalls inside the top 40....a true classic recording...and one of Elvis' favorites.This beautiful...ghostly ballad should've gotten more traction and been a top 10 hit.His vocal performance on this'n here....just awesome.
•An American Trilogy....recorded in Vegas LIVE in Feb of '72....the single charted outside the top 40.....getting burried some where in the 60s.ONE OF HIS GREATEST PERFORMANCES EVER.Shouldve been a #1 hit.This ballad...lyrically,arrangement and Elvis' vocals...PERFECT.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Too many to list but I remember back in the 90's a CD by the Bee Gees( Alone) and there is a song titled I surrender did not get airtime at all and to me it should have been the single.

Xelda

Reaction score
I could probably spend five years in this thread alone. The Fonz, you have a new fan. The Bee Gees were under appreciated with the exception of the unfortunate Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. I don't know what hit #1 but most of it didn't, so I'll submit these.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I could probably spend five years in this thread alone. The Fonz, you have a new fan. The Bee Gees were under appreciated with the exception of the unfortunate Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. I don't know what hit #1 but most of it didn't, so I'll submit these.

I wonder what happened to them. They were great and then they just kinda went away.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I like the pre-Saturday Night Fever stuff, like How Can You Mend a Broken Heart and Lonely Days.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Elvis had several GREAT hits that failed to reach number one and I'll never understand why...considering how CLASSIC they are:
Can't Help Falling In Love
His Latest Flame
Little Sister
Return To Sender
Bossa Nova Baby
She's Not You
In The Ghetto
Don't Cry Daddy
Kentucky Rain
The Wonder of You
Burning Love
Way Down

all made the top 10...but failed to reach number 1.....and all are included on many Greatest Hits packages over the years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oklahoma Nights - Troy Aikman, 1993

giphy.gif