Spagnola, Jerry doubles down in the war room

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-jerry-doubles-down-in-the-war-room

Spags' notes from the draft. Good right up on how the Deuce Vaughn pick went down in the war room.
They huddled and decided to go with Vaughn, as he was the top of the board of the last players left. While his dad was out of the room.
Then told him when he came back in. He did not advocate to draft his son. Just let it play out.

This is what McClay said about drafts. As to picking later in the draft.

"It's the penalty of being good," said Will McClay, the Cowboys vice president of player personnel. "You set your board, and everybody has guys they like and think they can add value to (the team). But we don't control that. We control our board and what we think about the next guy that's up there.
"It is what it is. There is nothing you can do about it."

More fans need to understand this better IMO.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If there's nothing you can do about then why did the Eagles have a top 10 pick after playing for a Super Bowl?

It's because they actually try to be better and make deals.

Stop believing the lies.
They started that cycle of multi firsts by dealing their terrible QB for a haul.

When was the last time we traded a player for a premium pick? That doesn’t happen here.

I didn’t hurt them that the Saints were willing to trade a future first to get a DB while not having a QB. Lucky it wasn’t higher.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If there's nothing you can do about then why did the Eagles have a top 10 pick after playing for a Super Bowl?

Stop believing the lies.
I guess you did not see what Mcclay said. This holds true for trades made from another year.
But yet here you are Debbie Downing on EVERYTHING.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They started that cycle of multi firsts by dealing their terrible QB for a haul.

When was the last time we traded a player for a premium pick? That doesn’t happen here.

I didn’t hurt them that the Saints were willing to trade a future first to get a DB while not having a QB. Lucky it wasn’t higher.
They had Frank Reich trading for his QB and gave up way more than needed. It was a stupid trade by the Colts, and the Eagles were lucky. But our Eagles lovers on here act as it the Eagles out smarted them. Which they did, in a way, but that never happens if Reich was not the HC at the time.

Dallas has no control over that. But some Dallas fans use that to whine.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I guess you did not see what Mcclay said. This holds true for trades made from another year.
But yet here you are Debbie Downing on EVERYTHING.
"It's the penalty of being good" says the figure head for a franchise that hasn't done anything for almost 30 years.

We're so good it makes it almost impossible to get any better.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"It's the penalty of being good" says the figure head for a franchise that hasn't done anything for almost 30 years.

We're so good it makes it almost impossible to get any better.
Back to back 12-5 season, went a game further in the playoffs. That is improvement, and in MM's 3rd year. And yes, remove his 1st year with Dak being injured.
That is far more than Garrett did. Which is Jerry's stupidity there.

Rayman70

Reaction score

Stop believing the lies.
exactly. Its just propaganda.. Then they let the team reporters regurgitate that nonsense for the gullible fan to consume as fact. The Spagnolas,Fishers of teh world are the first to defend the bs.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The draft didn’t fall the way they hoped it would imo. I think they wanted Kincaid in round 1 and probably would have gone OL in round 2 in that instance. Buffalo trading up forced us to focus on the trenches in round 1 which may work out for us.
it was Mazi or Avila at 26. They wanted a TE but at a later rd.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Back to back 12-5 season, went a game further in the playoffs. That is improvement, and in MM's 3rd year. And yes, remove his 1st year with Dak being injured.
That is far more than Garrett did. Which is Jerry's stupidity there.
30 years of nothing and you're supporting this figure head saying "it's the penalty of being good"? lol

Where is all that "good"?

Will McClay has seen us win 4 Wild Card games in his career. That's it. You shouldn't let this dude act like we're just too darn good to get better.

Rayman70

Reaction score
30 years of nothing and you're supporting this figure head saying "it's the penalty of being good"? lol

Will McClay has seen us win 4 Wild Card games in his career. That's it. You shouldn't let this dude act like we're just too darn good to get better.
as long as fans are willing 2 consume the fertilizer in bucketful's, it will contuniue.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They had Frank Reich trading for his QB and gave up way more than needed. It was a stupid trade by the Colts, and the Eagles were lucky. But our Eagles lovers on here act as it the Eagles out smarted them. Which they did, in a way, but that never happens if Reich was not the HC at the time.

Dallas has no control over that. But some Dallas fans use that to whine.
100 :hammer:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Ahhh...I was waiting for the 30 years comment....it is so worthless....

If you choose to be miserable about the past that can't be changed. Instead of looking ahead to what possible can be better. Which is why there are fans.
Then be miserable. I don't care.
I choose otherwise, it makes everything else in my life go much better as well.
You can post your negative opinions all you want, but others can counter that as well. It is a never ending loop. However it would be nice to have some analysis instead of drive by posting...oh they suck...

It is sports, it has no bearing on anything else in life. Again, I choose to not let it bring me down.