News: Spagnola: This Really Is Nothing New With Dak

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also he's just an ***. Listen to the way he talks over people, implies everyone who disagrees is at best ignorant, etc. I cant imagine anyone listens to him and thinks "now that's a sportswriter I want to talk football with".

I'd be ecstatic to run into Nick Eatman or Bryan Broaddus at a bar and get to talk football with them. If I saw Mickey at a bar I'd tell my friends "oh hey that's Mickey" and make 0 effort to talk to him.

I'm not saying Mickey would care, I'm just pointing out that hes kind of a disrespectful jerk of a person, occupations aside

Broaddus posted here in the past and was a jerk to many people. He's also been a jerk on social media.

I met Rob Phillips at training camp. He was very polite.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Mickey would probably be good at writing eulogies. But I kind of get the impression that not many are going to buy it.
"People, if this guy was any good he'd still be alive. I shouldn't have to keep telling you this."

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Broaddus posted here in the past and was a jerk to many people. He's also been a jerk on social media.

I met Rob Phillips at training camp. He was very polite.
I remember when Broaddus was briefly here...
You're right: he was kind of a turd, but peeps here were outright turds to him quite a bit without provocation.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I vaguely recall Spagnola's articles from the distant past, a few shows from the DC site, and several articles on the site.
He doesn't come across as hostile based on the remote past, but lately seems to be a self appointed enforcer against critical views about the team. I think I have read a few forum posts that contain enough relevant phrasing to suggest that he was the writer of said posts. Somewhat, uh, cranky?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It is just not him doing that, it is just about everyone. How many times have you seen on here someone cherry picking stats and games for any player to make their biased point.

I think this happens a lot period. For everything you want to prove, you can find some kind of stats to support it. I like using stats, but not in a vacuum.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
Mickey AND Dak?

giphy.gif
this meme is hysterical :lmao:great article! and i have to agree i just don't for the life of me understand how so many can hate on Dak - this dude comes to play

Dre11

Reaction score
Here's the problem. Mickey has already proven to be an extreme homer. He appears to be a company writer. When this is the case, no one listens to what you say, even if you finally come up w/ something that has credence.

This was actually a nice article. And I stopped reading Mickey years ago.

No, you don't. Negativity and controversy is what complainers and whiners like and gravitate to.

Flamma

Reaction score
Posted this in a different thread.
2018 7-2 with Coop, 3-4 without him
2017 6-4 with Zeke, 2-4 without him

Aaron Rodgers might be the best QB in the game and he was 6-9-1 last year because his teammates were crap. The top 6 highest paid QB's missed the playoffs.

Football is a team sport. Even the best QB's need great players around them to succeed. The NFL is overvaluing the position right. Giving Dak credit for going 7-2 with Coop is just as unfair as blaming Dak for going 2-4 without Zeke. I have no issue with the Cowboys keeping Dak and I think they can win big with him as QB. I just think its a huge mistake to follow the other teams giving massive deals to these QB's. The teams that will win will be the ones who spread out the money and have great players around their QB.

What QB wins without the pieces around him? I am critical of Dak but also realize his situation starting last season was less than ideal. If Dak sucked the addition of Cooper wouldn't mean much. I know you didn't say he sucked, just making a point.

The problem I see now is if we don't pay Dak, what then?

GMO415

Reaction score
Out of the draft class of Goff, Wentz, and Dak....I think it's between Dak and Wentz for the #1 2 spots and Goff #3 if the draft would be held today.

Ken

Reaction score
So here is a 2 for 1 for all you that want to bag on Mickey and / or Dak. :laugh:

Nice article, even though many of you won't read it because it is from a guy you hate about the QB many of you hate. :laugh:

But for those that like Dak, and the few that like Mickey. Then it is a very good article.
He can have some good articles, but I guess many don't like him from the radio shows. I don't really listen to them all that much to comment about that.

But he wrote some interesting things and comments from Kitna.
One being right after he was hired as the QB coach. He watch and analyzed every snap last year of Dak.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-this-really-is-nothing-new-with-dak
I like both...lucky me! :)

kskboys

Reaction score
No, you don't. Negativity and controversy is what complainers and whiners like and gravitate to.
Not sure why you'd say that. I lost interest in Mickey as I generally found his articles slanted. So, I stopped reading them.

erod

Reaction score
Mickey is Jerry's press secretary. Nothing more. He's hasn't been a serious professional in 20+ years.

We all want Dak here. We want to ride this out. We're all fine with Kitna exaggerating his new pupil's potential.

That doesn't mean we're convinced he's going to ever be more than average or that he's worth 20% of the team's salary cap.

We'll all know exactly what Dak is this next season. We'll know everything in six months.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mickey is Jerry's press secretary. Nothing more. He's hasn't been a serious professional in 20+ years.

We all want Dak here. We want to ride this out. We're all fine with Kitna exaggerating his new pupil's potential.

That doesn't mean we're convinced he's going to ever be more than average or that he's worth 20% of the team's salary cap.

We'll all know exactly what Dak is this next season. We'll know everything in six months.

And when he wrote fluff pieces about how great your boy Tony was, did you hate him then? As he never got us to the NFCCG either.

Dre11

Reaction score
Not sure why you'd say that. I lost interest in Mickey as I generally found his articles slanted. So, I stopped reading them.

Slanted how, he writes what happening within the organization, he writes using facts. Most don't like it because it doesn't fit their narrative. Who doesn't want the raw news, who want to deal with a whole bunch of speculation.

erod

Reaction score
And when he wrote fluff pieces about how great your boy Tony was, did you hate him then? As he never got us to the NFCCG either.

I have despised Spagnola for decades.

I'll never forget when he excused the Cowboys failures because of the injury to Mike Lucky. He said that turned the season. Seriously.

They need to just put him in a cheerleading uniform and let him dance with the girls on the sideline.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have despised Spagnola for decades.

I'll never forget when he excused the Cowboys failures because of the injury to Mike Lucky. He said that turned the season. Seriously.

They need to just put him in a cheerleading uniform and let him dance with the girls on the sideline.

:laugh:
I don't think anyone wants to actually see that.
It is bad enough with Rowdy out there.

Just keep the cheerleaders as they are. :D

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not consider him a professional writer and able to maintain objectivity. Several years back, after he joined the team, someone asked him a question about his lack of objectivity and reporting on an entity that employed him. Now this is in written form so he had to actually think about it before putting it up. He went off on this guy and acted so defensively, I knew this wasn't the only one he'd received like that.

He should go by Mickey "Spin" Spagnola because that's what he does and the "Are you kidding me" got old really fast and that was his way of putting down anyone with a negative, but viable, observation.

However, I do give he and Bill Jones for getting me completely off pretend games because listening to them was a sure way to bum out a Saturday night. His whinyass nasally voice put ants on me.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
The problem I have with Mickey is because he is a "shill" for the organization, he doesn't ever break any news. He isn't allowed to, even if he know something. You have to hear it from national reporters like Adam Shefter which seems silly since Mickey is so close to the organization. When Dak's deal gets done, we should be hearing it from Mickey or other beat writers first, not the Ian Rappaports of the world.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem I have with Mickey is because he is a "shill" for the organization, he doesn't ever break any news. He isn't allowed to, even if he know something. You have to hear it from national reporters like Adam Shefter which seems silly since Mickey is so close to the organization. When Dak's deal gets done, we should be hearing it from Mickey or other beat writers first, not the Ian Rappaports of the world.
Back when the team was going through some rough water and rumors swirling around, the local media got pissed that the national media was getting preferential treatment and Booger basically told them how it is. FOX and ESPN are more important than the local affiliates, who are forced to cover the Cowboys.

Back in the Schramm days, it was different, he was very tight with the local media, especially KRLD and Ch 4. But he was concerned about the localism and ticket sales plus he trusted Frank Luksa and Blackie Sherrod. Today, the Cowboys are a national brand, ticket sellouts are the norm and Booger wants to see himself on the nets. They don't shun local media but they do not feed it either when it comes to breaking news.

Plus, the owners have NFLN that they need to feed which is exactly what they did when Scheffter was there, they personally built his credibility by giving him the news first to build NFLN.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
And yet....he has ZERO rings to show for it. :popcorn:

People just need to quit trying to quantify this absurd contract...and see Prescott for what he is....
Riiiight, because he had ALL the right pieces in play to go win a SB. 3 years from a rookie, and TWO playoffs in those 3. Name another star QB who can sport that stat? I'll wait.