Speak For Yourself-Cowboys should prioritize Dak's contract over Zeke's-Marcellus Wiley

Flamma

Reaction score
No brainer. Dak comes first.

Since Zeke is signed through next year and Dak isn't, of course they would have to sign Dak first. I'm not sure what the debate is about.

I’d like to see them hold off on extending both. In fact I’d prefer they not extend Zeke at all. Dak should wait a year. There’s enough doubt surrounding him, even with the good things he’s done, that he should face a prove it year, like Garrett.

I almost certainly won’t get my wish on either front.

I'm not so sure the Cowboys are going to jump to signing Dak to a monster deal. They may very well wait until next year. But the Cowboys are in an odd situation right now. They're built to win now with no alternative to Dak. They can wait until next year, but then what? What if he still looks better than average to good but not much better than that? Not sign him? How long will it take to replace him while still maintaining this team's talent level? Right now he's still this team's best chance of winning.

If the Cowboys were like the Jets or Bucs I'd say move on from Dak.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I'm not so sure the Cowboys are going to jump to signing Dak to a monster deal. They may very well wait until next year. But the Cowboys are in an odd situation right now. They're built to win now with no alternative to Dak. They can wait until next year, but then what? What if he still looks better than average to good but not much better than that? Not sign him? How long will it take to replace him while still maintaining this team's talent level? Right now he's still this team's best chance of winning.

If the Cowboys were like the Jets or Bucs I'd say move on from Dak.

Good point. In that scenario I'd probably franchise him once or twice. Give me time to find his replacement. Dak is the new Kirk Cousins, in some ways. You don't want to commit, except at a discount (which he may not accept), but it's hard to replace him with something better on the fly. So you use up his rights and give yourself maximum time for your search to upgrade.

Flamma

Reaction score
Good point. In that scenario I'd probably franchise him once or twice. Give me time to find his replacement. Dak is the new Kirk Cousins, in some ways. You don't want to commit, except at a discount (which he may not accept), but it's hard to replace him with something better on the fly. So you use up his rights and give yourself maximum time for your search to upgrade.

I'll start off by saying you're probably right. But I'd take the chance and Transition tag him. I don't think any team that currently is in the market for a starting QB (which there are very few) is going to offer Dak a contract we're not willing to match. So they'll be saving 10 million on those cap hits. Currently I think only the Bengals are in great need of a starting QB. I could be wrong.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I would always prioritize QB over a RB.

In our case i wouldnt. I wouldnt give anyone of those a contract extension. I'd try to figure out a way to replace both of them. QB would be my top priority.