Speculation: Berry to exit upon Mathieu's arrival?

Proof

Reaction score
he's played in 3 games over the past two years, and his injuries are the type that linger. I LOVE the player, but his market will likely be weak and 1 yr oriented.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I thought the plan was to fix their defense? How would Berry leaving help achieve that goal?

Berry's costing $16.5 million against their cap this year and would cost $14.5 million in dead cap if they cut him this season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/eric-berry-6514/

So no pay cut and no roster cut regardless of playing 3 games in 2 season's or not.

If Berry is healthy and plays the whole season, this is easily the most talented safety tandem in the league since Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor.

Proof

Reaction score
Berry's costing $16.5 million against their cap this year and would cost $14.5 million in dead cap if they cut him this season.

So no pay cut and no roster cut regardless of playing 3 games in 2 season's or not.

If Berry is healthy and plays the whole season, this is easily the most talented safety tandem in the league since Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor.

My 3 games in 2 seasons was in regards to what his potential market would likely be. I don’t think they’re getting rid of him either. And yes those two together are an awesome pairing. (On paper)

AKATheRake

Reaction score
My 3 games in 2 seasons was in regards to what his potential market would likely be. I don’t think they’re getting rid of him either. And yes those two together are an awesome pairing. (On paper)

What you said about the 3 games is a fact and if he was released, which I think he would have been if not for the dead money, teams wouldn't flock and pay big bucks.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Anyone letting Andy Reid sneak up on them?

He's been 'close' quite a bit and probably knows the final differences by now...

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score

His salary isn’t fully guaranteed yet. The 15th another 7.5 becomes guaranteed.

“If the Chiefs were to cut Eric Berry with a post-June 1st designation, they’d save over $9 million in cap space on the 2019 season. The team would still be subject to nearly $7 million in dead money, but they’d at least save something against the cap this season and next.”

AKATheRake

Reaction score
His salary isn’t fully guaranteed yet. The 15th another 7.5 becomes guaranteed.

“If the Chiefs were to cut Eric Berry with a post-June 1st designation, they’d save over $9 million in cap space on the 2019 season. The team would still be subject to nearly $7 million in dead money, but they’d at least save something against the cap this season and next.”

It's still going to be $14.5 dead cap. Up to them if they want to eat it in 1 year or 2. Going to be a hit and it sounds like they want him. He's not going to take a pay cut.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It turned out to be a terrible contract for the Chiefs and I expected them to try you get out of it as soon as they could, but even I didn't expect it to be this soon.

But 3 games out of 32 at $13 million a year?

Yeah, no.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Actually, this sounds exactly like something Stephen would do........former elite player forced to settle for one year prove-it deal.