Speculation: Berry to exit upon Mathieu's arrival?

fansince68

Reaction score
Berry's costing $16.5 million against their cap this year and would cost $14.5 million in dead cap if they cut him this season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/eric-berry-6514/

So no pay cut and no roster cut regardless of playing 3 games in 2 season's or not.

If Berry is healthy and plays the whole season, this is easily the most talented safety tandem in the league since Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor.
Which one plays in the box?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Haha CD, Adrian Phillips, and of course Earl are all still available and make sense. Berry would too if he came at significant discount

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Which one plays in the box?

That's a question I asked when Mathieu signed myself. Sorensen did for them last year. Since Spagnuolo is the DC there now and the league is so pass oriented who's to tell? Berry is the bigger player but a FS also. 1 on 1 with Gronk in that playoff game Berry couldn't do anything with Gronk when the Pats went to him in the end.

Berry was hurt but the Chiefs were going to trade for ET as well before he got hurt as well.

So I understand the speculation that Berry could be cut because Mathieu is there now, but it's a hell of a price to pay to cut him, especially now that he's healthy and should be playing.

wecasa

Reaction score
Berry has some kind of bone spur on his heels that causes issues with his Achilles tendon which he ruptured a couple of seasons ago. Surgery now would mean hes out of another year. Folks on talk radio in KC question his "want" to play football.