Spitting in the Wind

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Those on this fansite who are actively campaigning against Dak Prescott being given a big money contract extension are just wasting everyone's time.

It's a discussion forum! There will be those with differing opinions.
I agree that it's inevitable the Dak will be signed to a long term deal.
It is silly, however, to accuse those who are opposed to that decision of "wasting everyone's time".

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Why is this a new post written a different way every week lolol

People are tired of it and for one reason or another don't want to leave. A lot of us have been posting together for years between this place and the old DC site.

The hate right now after we just won the division for the 2nd time in 3 years is worse than during the 8-8 trilogy.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
neither are the narrow minded or close minded. ask yourself why the patriots are always near the top of the mountain. the obvious answer is they have great head coach. we were winners with landry and jimmy. not so much with garrett. when a top quits spinning, it just topples over.

I’m all for hiring Belichick if he wants to come here. We agree on that one.

Jimmy was a good coach. He won championships with great players. So did Barry Switzer. Because that’s usually how it works.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eh. A bunch are scapegoating him, a few were wrong from the outset and some just have a different view of how long a coach should be given.

You've conceded yourself that if we don't take the 'next step' (exactly what that means is a mystery though it surely means advancing beyond the divisional round) this year it will be fair to replace him. That reflects a commitment to the view that at some point, whatever the circumstances, you have to produce results. Now you just have a difference of opinion with some of the GROG crowd over how soon that point comes. You're with Jerry: this year is it; get us past the divisional round or get packing. But there's nothing in principle that would prevent someone from saying 'it should have been this past season (or 2017 or whatever) -- he's had an inordinately long tenure for someone who has produced 2 playoff wins.'

That's why I don't think you should be siding with the FO on this 'prove it' year business. The idea all along -- and this is part of what they bought into when they hired Garrett -- was that what you're trying to do isn't to win it all in any given year but to contend consistently over a long period of time, knowing that things aren't likely to fall your way in any given year (and you need them to fall your way to win a Super Bowl) but if you're in the mix year after year eventually things will fall your way. Garrett's been integral to putting a system in place that looks like it will allow us to contend year in and year out for many years. Eventually it should bear championship fruit. The 'prove it' year thing is to appease impatient fans. It amounts to Garrett being scapegoated by Jerry.

I don’t know that I’m siding with the front office as much as I’m confident we’ll contend—like we should—with the team we’ve got. I don’t mind a prove it year for Garrett, because he’s played himself a fair hand. And I don’t think they replace him anyway unless there’s a coach out there they see who’s available and represents a significant upgrade. It’s more likely they extend Garrett another 5 years and CZ goes ape.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thanks Jumbo! I don’t have the patience (or the smarts) to wade through all the stats and numbers. Of course it will probably get pish-poshed because it doesn’t support the whole ”Dak sucks” narrative, but...
As usual the answer is somewhere in the middle. Dak has many positive assets and why we’ve had some success with him but the criticism in his passing skills is legit. He doesn’t suk. He just isn’t one of the elite QB. And that might be ok. We shall see.

But this notion that everyone should shut up because he’s fixing to be our guy is a familiar tone I’ve heard before from this OP. And one we hear from a segment who tires of the constant criticism and bashing.

Do we really want to limit everyone’s voice simply because we don’t agree or don’t want to repeatedly hear it. We have options if we don’t want to tolerate it. Everything is a click away!!

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
hum ain't you the same guy who said he was through with the Cowboys after they did what you can't mention at midfield.. yep go piss in the wind.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t know that I’m siding with the front office as much as I’m confident we’ll contend—like we should—with the team we’ve got. I don’t mind a prove it year for Garrett, because he’s played himself a fair hand. And I don’t think they replace him anyway unless there’s a coach out there they see who’s available and represents a significant upgrade. It’s more likely they extend Garrett another 5 years and CZ goes ape.
It’s really just a very vocal minority that leads the Lynch Mob. And they can be very persistent and intimidating to others who choose not to take them on.

Sure there are many who see Garretts weaknesses but not everyone blames him solely for not winning championships. They just don’t all get on the mountain top and scream.

It’s like much of Social Media. Often you have to wait for the dust to settle before uncovering a more sober vibe.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes to this. There really is no logical alternative at the moment.
I’d agree . And I’m ok with a 3 year deal. But I’m not agreement that everyone should shut up and like it.

It’s attempting to control the narrative and censor everyones right to voice their opinions within the rules of this site.

Instead I’d challenge those calling out these segments is bordering on breaking the rules stopping short by not calling them out individually.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
For how long? The last several QB contracts all reset the market.
  • 2011 - P.Manning - 5 years, $90M - avg 18M per season
  • 2012 - P.Manning - 5 years, $96M - avg 19.2M per season
  • 2012 - Brees - 5 years, $100M - avg $20M per season
  • 2013 - Flacco - 6 years, $120.6M - avg $20.6M per season
  • 2013 - Ryan - 5 years, $103.75M - avg $20.75M per season
  • 2013 - Rodgers - 5 years, $110M - avg $22M per season
  • 2016 - Flacco - 4 year, $66.4M - avg 22.13M per season
  • 2016 - Luck - 6 years, $140M - avg $23.3M per season
  • 2017 - Cousins - 1 year, $23.9M - avg. $23.9M per season
  • 2017 - Stafford - 5 years, $135M - avg $27M per season
  • 2018 - Garoppolo - 5 years, $137.5M - avg 27.5M per season
  • 2018 - Ryan - 5 years, $150M - avg $30M per season
  • 2018 - Rodgers - 4 years, $132M - avg $33M per season
  • 2019 - Wilson - 5 years, $175M - avg $35M per season
After Wilson signed this year, Roestlibergers signed a 2 year deal for $68M, avg $34M per year.

Dak Prescott may technically get a 6 year, $30M extension for seasons 2020-2025. But with his 2019 $2M salary, that is $182M over 7 years, an average of $26M per season. That is less than 75% of the $35M per season that Wilson will make. While he might be near the top of the scale temporarily, he'll be quickly surpassed by deals for Goff, Wentz, and Cam Newton next year. Phenom Mahomes, DeShaun Watson, and Mitch Trubisky to will pass Dak by two years from now.

By the 2021 season, Dak Prescott's average of $26M per season over 7 years will be exceeded by Russell Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Jimmy Garoppolo, Matthew Stafford, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Cam Newton, Patrick Mahomes, DeShaun Watson, and Mitch Trubisky, making him the 13th highest paid QB in the NFL. And if the Cowboys get him for $28.5M per season, his actual average over 7 years will be under $25M per season. At the same time, over the next 7 years, the NFL expects the Salary CAP to increase at least $70-80M, meaning that the it will go up to about $260M-$270M per year. A deal where the starting franchise QB makes 10% or less of the overall CAP is a great deal for the Cowboys.

If you think Prescott is a slightly better than average, but not elite QB, then a 6 year contract extension paying him $168-180M from 2020-2025 is just about the right amount.

At signing

Flamma

Reaction score
It's a discussion forum! There will be those with differing opinions.
I agree that it's inevitable the Dak will be signed to a long term deal.
It is silly, however, to accuse those who are opposed to that decision of "wasting everyone's time".

That's what we all do here, waste time. I don't mind any opinion, I'll either agree or disagree. But as far as Dak goes, we either sign him this year or the next. If he's not the answer we're screwed. We have a limited amount of time with the talent on this current team and it has to be clear by now that the Cowboys are behind Dak.

Flamma

Reaction score
I’d agree . And I’m ok with a 3 year deal. But I’m not agreement that everyone should shut up and like it.

It’s attempting to control the narrative and censor everyones right to voice their opinions within the rules of this site.

Instead I’d challenge those calling out these segments is bordering on breaking the rules stopping short by not calling them out individually.

Well some people find it annoying when all they hear is Dak sucks this and sucks that but pose no realistic fix. I'm not one of them. I'm not one of the people that are happy with our QB, but I am hoping he changes my mind. But I can see where it might get annoying for those that realize we're moving forward with this QB. It is spitting into the wind.

But yeah, something like a 5 year deal with all guarantees used up after 3 years is far better than franchise tagging him two straight years. I'd rather sign him this year or next. If the Cowboys don't want to do it, I'd transition tag him. No need for a franchise tag.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those on this fansite who are actively campaigning against Dak Prescott being given a big money contract extension are just wasting everyone's time. The Cowboys ARE going to give him a contract extension, and it will be a HUGE contract. That is already decided by the Jones family. They are only negotiating over how HUGE it will be, not if he will get an extension.

The Cowboys aren't going to franchise tag Dak next year. They are going to give him a long-term deal this year, and he WILL BE the Cowboys QB for at least the next three seasons - the prime years for most of the star players on this roster. They are going to bet the farm on Dak being able to take this team to a championship soon.

What the Cowboys are NOT going to do is undermine Dak's potential success by elevating another QB to the same level of Dak within the immediate future. So wishing for it, and campaigning for it is like listening to a nagging wife. It is just tiresome, and gets old really, really fast. Some of you are like a gaggle of nagging wives who get together to complain about their husbands at the beauty shop. I hope you have fun complaining to each other, but I don't want to be a part of it.

I don't claim to know if Dak will be able to achieve Championship status in Dallas. I see the same faults some of you do. But the Cowboys are committed to him, and as a fan, I'm committed to support him despite his flaws. I don't see the point of constantly griping about his flaws. Yes, I see them. So what? Is pining for someone new going to change anything? Nope. It is a complete waste of time to do so.

So I implore the site administrators to set up a Dak Prescott chat space for ALL Dak Prescott complainers to go to to complain about Dak - kind of an online beauty parlor for the nagging nebobs of negativity to get together in a big circle jerk and pleasure each other. I can simply avoid clicking on that location, and enjoy the input of others without the constant refrain of Dak Prescott negativity.
I agree that Dak is our QB, and I’m glad. I like Dak. He will be getting a long term deal soon. Like you, I sometimes tire of the Dak bashing.

However...I disagree with your assessment of what you call “nagging nebobs of negativity” (a phrase you somehow chose to borrow from one of history’s bottom feeders) getting together as you propose, under one administrative category. Here are some things you are suggesting that should make many here uncomfortable:
  • I don’t like the Dak bashing either but I would never presume one fan’s opinion is any better than another. If a Cowboys fan chooses to “hate on” Dak, so be it. If someone doesn’t like a post, they can choose not to post. The topics on these boards only live as long as people choose to post on them.
  • I often disagree with your opinions. But I support your right to put them wherever you choose. Or anyone else.
  • The day we set this place up with “acceptable” opinions and “unacceptable” opinions is the day we no longer have a forum. It becomes a country club with only one acceptable opinion. That’s garbage.
  • We don’t need one group of fans deciding what’s a “real fan’s” opinion.
  • Jumbo, you’re a great Cowboys fan. I respect that. Even when we disagree. But none of us, including you, know what is a “waste of time” and what isn’t on an opinion board. Collectively, all us will decide what opinions are better than others by the topics we choose to comment on.
  • One of my strongest opinions on these boards is that we should spend less time telling our fellow fans what is an acceptable opinion. If you have an opinion, post it. Everyone is fully capable of deciding on their own whether they agree or not.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I agree that Dak is our QB, and I’m glad. I like Dak. He will be getting a long term deal soon. Like you, I sometimes tire of the Dak bashing.

However...I disagree with your assessment of what you call “nagging nebobs of negativity” (a phrase you somehow chose to borrow from one of history’s bottom feeders) getting together as you propose, under one administrative category. Here are some things you are suggesting that should make many here uncomfortable:
  • I don’t like the Dak bashing either but I would never presume one fan’s opinion is any better than another. If a Cowboys fan chooses to “hate on” Dak, so be it. If someone doesn’t like a post, they can choose not to post. The topics on these boards only live as long as people choose to post on them.
  • I often disagree with your opinions. But I support your right to put them wherever you choose. Or anyone else.
  • The day we set this place up with “acceptable” opinions and “unacceptable” opinions is the day we no longer have a forum. It becomes a country club with only one acceptable opinion. That’s garbage.
  • We don’t need one group of fans deciding what’s a “real fan’s” opinion.
  • Jumbo, you’re a great Cowboys fan. I respect that. Even when we disagree. But none of us, including you, know what is a “waste of time” and what isn’t on an opinion board. Collectively, all us will decide what opinions are better than others by the topics we choose to comment on.
  • One of my strongest opinions on these boards is that we should spend less time telling our fellow fans what is an acceptable opinion. If you have an opinion, post it. Everyone is fully capable of deciding on their own whether they agree or not.
good post-Bob.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s really just a very vocal minority that leads the Lynch Mob. And they can be very persistent and intimidating to others who choose not to take them on.

Sure there are many who see Garretts weaknesses but not everyone blames him solely for not winning championships. They just don’t all get on the mountain top and scream.

It’s like much of Social Media. Often you have to wait for the dust to settle before uncovering a more sober vibe.

Exactly. We’ve been through this many times before with the angry mobs. They’re loud, often wrong, and never collectively say ‘our bad’ when it becomes obvious. We went through it with Mike Zimmer. We went through it with Tony Romo. This ain’t new.

ESisback

Reaction score
As usual the answer is somewhere in the middle. Dak has many positive assets and why we’ve had some success with him but the criticism in his passing skills is legit. He doesn’t suk. He just isn’t one of the elite QB. And that might be ok. We shall see.

But this notion that everyone should shut up because he’s fixing to be our guy is a familiar tone I’ve heard before from this OP. And one we hear from a segment who tires of the constant criticism and bashing.

Do we really want to limit everyone’s voice simply because we don’t agree or don’t want to repeatedly hear it. We have options if we don’t want to tolerate it. Everything is a click away!!

Agreed! If you don’t like my opinion, just click!

Never said (or even insinuated) that Dak was elite. While he’s way above average for number of wins his first three years, I can name at least 10 QBs that are currently better. Two things, though. One, I don’t think he’s reached his ceiling yet, and two, we’ve all seen lesser QBs win Super Bowls.

What I see, personally, is that his footwork in the pocket needs to improve, plus, he holds the ball too long. And I agree with Jumbo—his contract will be too high initially, but after the rest get their deals, he’ll be right where he belongs. Or even less.

If you have a better option, let’s hear it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed! If you don’t like my opinion, just click!

Never said (or even insinuated) that Dak was elite. While he’s way above average for number of wins his first three years, I can name at least 10 QBs that are currently better. Two things, though. One, I don’t think he’s reached his ceiling yet, and two, we’ve all seen lesser QBs win Super Bowls.

What I see, personally, is that his footwork in the pocket needs to improve, plus, he holds the ball too long. And I agree with Jumbo—his contract will be too high initially, but after the rest get their deals, he’ll be right where he belongs. Or even less.

If you have a better option, let’s hear it.
It’s not my job to present a better option . That doesn’t mean I can’t critique the current one.

While I don’t deny the Cowboys are dug in on Dak, I’m not as dug in. I’d prefer waiting another season. I still believe we could draft a more elite QB in 1st round next year or beyond. That doesn’t mean we can’t win more with Dak. And if you are dug in then I get signing him now . But just because our ownership is dug in we don’t have to be.

I just think it’s going to be tougher once we pay him to continue the level of support around him. And we’ve already seen what those results are. That should be a concern to everyone.

I’m not so certain we couldn’t draft a better one. And not afraid to take that risk to hit big. Plus I’m not sold our franchise is capable of continuing to support him with the talent he needs around him. They couldn’t keep Romo surrounded with enough. I can’t help but dream about landing one of those other 10 QB’s you’d rather have.

And none of that is intended to be a bash on Dak anymore than I’d rather have more elite talent at other positions. But wouldn’t it be something to have as much talent at QB as we do at RB or WR. That’s what I want. I’m tired of settling for less. I’m tired of watching us trying to overcome not having one of the best QB’s in the league. If that makes me a bad fan then so be it.