News: ST: Bailey, now 3-for-8 on road 50-yard tries, says he was comfortable trying from 56, but not...

NewsBot

Reaction score
Dan Bailey missed a 56-yard try in the second quarter that would have been the longest field goal of his career. It was long enough but went left.

“Some of the work I did in the offseason has carried over into the season, as far as leg strength,” he said. “I was confident. I’m sure Jason and Rich were confident. It’s just unfortunate that I didn’t put it through.”

Bailey is 3-for-8 on road attempts of 50 yards or more. But he had made kicks of 53 and 51 two weeks ago at Kansas City.

"I wasn’t really comfortable with the whole operation," he said. "Comfortable with the situation, just wasn’t comfortable with how it turned out.”

The Chargers used the field position on the miss to drive for their own field goal and take a 10-7 lead.

“We had the wind, and we have a lot of confidence in Dan Bailey,” coach Jason Garrett said. “We felt like we were real close to his range to be able to make that kick. I think he got it there, he just missed it a little bit left. It’s always an aggressive decision there. We felt like it was important to try to take advantage of that opportunity with one of the best players we have.”

-- Carlos Mendez
Twitter @calexmendez

Continue reading...