News: ST: Cowboys coach Jason Garrett explains clock management decisions at end of Redskins game

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by NewsBot, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

5,788 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    yes, and mods request you do as well.

you want to criticize me, please do so right here. I'll gladly report again.

2. DandyDon52

DandyDon52 Well-Known Member

10,860 Messages
    6,394 Likes Received
    Well as steve martin used to say "well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussssseee meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!"

3. DandyDon52

10,860 Messages
    6,394 Likes Received
    yeah JG is evidently starting to copy the master of babble speak!

4. Idgit

Idgit Fattening up Moderator

57,522 Messages
    58,003 Likes Received
    Just as an aside, and I prefer to keep threads on track, but this one seems intent on derailing itself no matter what, it's much better to report potential guideline violations and then keep on topic than it is to resort to flinging poo bad and someone you think might be flinging it at you.

coult44 and Eric_Boyer like this.
  5. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

31,321 Messages
    21,570 Likes Received
    The word out on VR is that he was supposed to be playing off making it essentially cover 2. We had timeouts and how come no one on that defense, Lee, Church, or anyone else who wants to call themselves a leader, fixed it. The coaches for that matter could have called one of our many timeouts.

I just hope they learn from this. Aaron Rodgers will make that read and more. One byproduct moving forward of having Jones do everything is the he will evolve into a leader of the secondary just by virtue of his knowledge.

They've started using Hardy like they did in Carolina essentially flipping the defensive formation with the strong side end, Hardy, and Hayden over the left side. Moses couldn't block DLaw on isos, Crawford was active against Sherff, and they did a good job attacking not-Sherff and the C using line stunts and blitzes. Hardy did well against Williams. I even though my whipping boy Hayden was outstanding for about 20 minutes.

Nightman likes this.
  6. TheDude

TheDude McLovin

9,197 Messages
    7,410 Likes Received
    That calculator assumes you have the ball on your hand up 7 and doesn't factor time.

Odds for wash to after that score and time yielded a 7- 15% depending on starting around the 20 or 30. That puts dallas at 86-93%

7. DandyDon52

10,860 Messages
    6,394 Likes Received
    I have to go with B ! lol

Coy likes this.
  8. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

4,932 Messages
    4,428 Likes Received
    Mistake that JG did not tell DMC to stay in bounds during the 4-5 mins he had between plays to do so. Pathetic actually.

Amy50632 likes this.
  9. DandyDon52

10,860 Messages
    6,394 Likes Received
    I could say JG said "we"
    also it insinuates he did not tell dmc to not run out of bounds. or call for plays that dont go outside.
    It is all speculation.
    no matter what happens on the field , the HC is going to be blamed, and with some validity most of time.

10. Eric_Boyer

5,788 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    I think it is pathetic a grown man that has played this game longer then the head coach needs to be told, but I'm not sure he wasn't told, and neither are you

11. Eric_Boyer

5,788 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    LOL, it doesn't insinuate that, and I am sure plenty are "blaming him for the win"

COOKOO COOKOO

12. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

9,968 Messages
    5,038 Likes Received
    Have I told you lately "I love you"?

13. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

2,038 Messages
    1,196 Likes Received
    First of all, if your back is a headcase and you don't trust him, why would you give him the ball in the most important play of the game? That's a pretty strong indictment agaisnt a head coach.

And second of all, this is not my prefered outcome, I based my statement on what actualy happened. If you watched the play, Dmac could've easily dropped down at rhe 3 after he got the first but Garrett never told him to. By the way, that's a play they practice according to Broaddus.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    Coy and Amy50632 like this.
  14. tecolote

2,038 Messages
    1,196 Likes Received
    Just watch the play. It's been done before, it's not rocket science, they actualy practice that play but Garrett did no call it.

15. FuzzyLumpkins

31,321 Messages
    21,570 Likes Received
    DMC said he was thinking end zone. It sure looked like the team was too. The whole way.

I know for a fact that Garrett and Linehan teach their backs to not go out of bounds. I know this because we have seen Demarco Murray and Joseph Randle do this in part of closing out our 12 wins last year.

We heard Jason Garrett say the circumstance changed when he failed to go out of bounds. 5-7 yards on first down, clock running forcing a timeout is what we wanted. In the moment Garrett is trying to run out the clock. He calls another inside run a fan blows a whistle in the stands. Redskins played true defense. Sorry we were so much better than them. I thought Tyron, LC and Fred were outstanding on the play myself.

I bet the whole team goes over 2 minute again in practice this week.

16. tecolote

2,038 Messages
    1,196 Likes Received
    Well they practice that play, smart teams have run that play, 12 year olds playing Madden run that play.

You are like the king with no clothes, calling everybody dumb while you bask in your own bubble of ignorance.

17. Eric_Boyer

5,788 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    in a game where we were getting better push, Jason acknowledged he would consider using the play too.

I notice most of the people that like the use of vitriol when discussing the head coach, doesn’t like others doing the same against them.

18. Idgit

Idgit Fattening up Moderator

57,522 Messages
    58,003 Likes Received
    The problem with this discussion, is that there's a big old subtext here that's not really about this specific chain of events, and that's what's really feeding the debate. Time management is something Garrett has historically not been good at, and then we didn't handle this end-of-game opportunity well, and it became a bigger issue than it really needs to be. The back going out of bounds and giving up a clock-stoppage was a mental error on behalf of a veteran player. DMC has not really been prone to a lot of mistakes, and I don't really believe he'd have made this one if he didn't think he could likely get to the first down marker. He got tempted, and he went for it and ended up stopping the clock. From that point on, we're kind of arguing shades of gray.

Personally, I didn't like that sequence. I think we should have netted the first down, milked the TOs and the clock, and then played for the touch or kicked the game winner on 4th down. But playing the way we did wasn't completely insane, either. WAS isn't going for a 2 point conversion in a tie game at home in that situation, so you've got a tie in the bag and a very likely win if you just play decent ST and decent defense.
    We, of course, did neither on that series. As a fan, it was all-too-predictable. As a coach, I'm taking those probabilities, every time. Even if I don't like how I got myself in that situation.

Dodger12, Eric_Boyer, Coy and 3 others like this.
  19. tecolote

2,038 Messages
    1,196 Likes Received
    I called someone dumb but not Jason.

Coy likes this.
  20. FuzzyLumpkins

31,321 Messages
    21,570 Likes Received
    Your scenario of getting a first down and clocking it three times to time so you can kick a FG as time expires is not reality. You are taking you preferred outcome, everything works as planned, comparing it to reality and acting like that is sufficient. We have pointed out multiple ways at each individual point of your plan that things could go awry.

Although running the clock with a lead is the ultimate goal, scoring a TD is the next best conclusion to a drive.