News: ST: Cowboys coach Jason Garrett explains clock management decisions at end of Commanders game

tecolote

Reaction score
Your scenario of getting a first down and clocking it three times to time so you can kick a FG as time expires is not reality. You are taking you preferred outcome, everything works as planned, comparing it to reality and acting like that is sufficient. We have pointed out multiple ways at each individual point of your plan that things could go awry.

Although running the clock with a lead is the ultimate goal, scoring a TD is the next best conclusion to a drive.

To each his own Fuzzy.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Relax man. You're playing into their hands.

I don't think so.

I think playing in their hands is sitting quietly while they spew their vitriol against the flavor of the day hate rants that seems to be going on around here with more and more frequency

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Where I think the disconnect is I don't think people really consider how football is actually played on the field as opposed the generalized narratives that the DFW and national medias feed us.

And I don't mean football as it was played last week at least not entirely. I'm talking about more of how it's taught in practice and in the meeting rooms and brought onto the field to use the coaching cliche they feed us.

I know for a fact that during training camp they go over the 2 minute drill extensively. We all got to see it on DC.com. I've heard Todd Archer ask about practice in the season and gotten Garrett to admit they practice 'situational football' throughout the year.

You want Garrett to call timeout and draw up in the dirt your gameplan: run, run/knee, knee, kick when they just screwed up what they've been practicing for months.

Its vainglorious.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I don't think so.

I think playing in their hands is sitting quietly while they spew their vitriol against the flavor of the day hate rants that seems to be going on around here with more and more frequency

You keep fighting fire with fire and see what happens. You have to at least try to be subtle. Risen tries very hard at it for example.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
You keep fighting fire with fire and see what happens. You have to at least try to be subtle. Risen tries very hard at it for example.

Risen is not who I want to emulate, and I strongly urge you to not do so as well.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Because that was expected before DMAC scored a TD..
None of it was expected, obviously. Nobody expected a big return and penalty that set them up in Dallas territory. But it's what happened. Thirty seconds from kickoff to TD, using only one timeout after a running play.

khiladi

Reaction score
None of it was expected, obviously. Nobody expected a big return and penalty that set them up in Dallas territory. But it's what happened. Thirty seconds from kickoff to TD, using only one timeout after a running play.

Of course it's what happened, that's not what the issue is about.. You don't coach based on very odd possibilities..

If we kicked a FG after running the clock, whose to say that the Commanders would have even tried to be aggressive, because they no longer needed a TD. We could have forced them inside and kept the clock running and the Commanders would be in panic mode to to try and get to the line to get the playoff..

Plus, we played man to allow Jackson a TD.. Which was even more absurd..

I can't believe people are defending the absurdity,. Even Jerry Jones said they botched the time management and even Garrett himself gave some convicted explanation that they did it because DMC going out of bounds threw them in a kilter..

khiladi

Reaction score
They used 1 timeout on that drive after a running play. They would not have run the ball, they would have passed. Do you think that 6 yard run made the difference on DJ's TD?

Seriously - read the play by play Einstein!

its called having to line up and hurry to get the ball off, because the clock is still running.. And being forced to choose from a wide list of options at the spur of the moment because the clock is still running..

You see that is what time management is about.. When you manage it well, you'd list of possibilities grow.. When you manage it idiotically, then you end up like Garrett whose team gave up a TD BTW on man coverage, which was idiotic as well.

In this case, the Commanders could afford to take multiple shots deep or even go down the middle for another first and call timeout..

You act like the options would have been the same had they had 30 seconds left or we would have even played it the same, Einstein..

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Of course it's what happened, that's not what the issue is about.. You don't coach based on very odd possibilities..

If we kicked a FG after running the clock, whose to say that the Commanders would have even tried to be aggressive, because they no longer needed a TD. We could have forced them inside and kept the clock running and the Commanders would be in panic mode to to try and get to the line to get the playoff..

Plus, we played man to allow Jackson a TD.. Which was even more absurd..

I can't believe people are defending the absurdity,. Even Jerry Jones said they botched the time management and even Garrett himself gave some convicted explanation that they did it because DMC going out of bounds threw them in a kilter..

Problem is some can't decipher what JG said. They were playing football.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The problem with this discussion, is that there's a big old subtext here that's not really about this specific chain of events, and that's what's really feeding the debate. Time management is something Garrett has historically not been good at, and then we didn't handle this end-of-game opportunity well, and it became a bigger issue than it really needs to be. The back going out of bounds and giving up a clock-stoppage was a mental error on behalf of a veteran player. DMC has not really been prone to a lot of mistakes, and I don't really believe he'd have made this one if he didn't think he could likely get to the first down marker. He got tempted, and he went for it and ended up stopping the clock. From that point on, we're kind of arguing shades of gray.

Personally, I didn't like that sequence. I think we should have netted the first down, milked the TOs and the clock, and then played for the touch or kicked the game winner on 4th down. But playing the way we did wasn't completely insane, either. WAS isn't going for a 2 point conversion in a tie game at home in that situation, so you've got a tie in the bag and a very likely win if you just play decent ST and decent defense.
We, of course, did neither on that series. As a fan, it was all-too-predictable. As a coach, I'm taking those probabilities, every time. Even if I don't like how I got myself in that situation.

There is also the reality of how the team is behaving. They wanted that TD. Garrett went with KISS and called another middle zone which is bread and butter stuff. Frederick who is trained in probabilities was up there in the circle bouncing with DMC when they got it. The playcall got a TD.

A lot of times KISS is the answer and not micromanaging. They executed.

I'm not saying your way won't work and it's fairly termed cutthroat but I don't blame Garrett. I wouldn't have trusted DMC, Turbin, or whoever else to execute it out of the dirt like that.

plasticman

Reaction score
The most predictable part of this is that if the Cowboys had run the clock down after three kneels and something happened that caused the field goal to be missed.....and we have catalogued numerous circumstances when this has occurred.......

......the same people now telling us how they would have won the game better than Jason and the Cowboys WON the game.....

...would then be criticizing the Cowboys and Jason Garrett for being too conservative or too scared or too cautious....

......including Jerry Jones.

The first victory without Romo this season and against our most bitter rival, on their field, keeping the team playoff relevant.......and it wasn't enough...they didn't win the right way.

How could the Cowboys not be inspired beyond their physical limitations to shock the world with such fan support and focused leadership from their GM/owner? It's why he should just put himself in the Ring of Honor right now.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
bottom line is I think JG thought the td would be enough to win the game.
So I think he was going for the td whole time, and it should have been enough.
But our defense can shut out the other team whole game, and then play terrible in that hurry up situation, not the first time
we have seen a team drive on us late.

That is why maybe the run the clock and fg is better, our defense just cant handle that last drive scenario.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Risen is not who I want to emulate, and I strongly urge you to not do so as well.

Sure then don't do it at all is what I'm getting at. You both are just going back and forth directly calling each other stupid. I only point out this because I've read you for a long time and know that your heart is in a good place. The people that you are going back and forth with not so much.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Sure then don't do it at all is what I'm getting at. You both are just going back and forth directly calling each other stupid. I only point out this because I've read you for a long time and know that your heart is in a good place. The people that you are going back and forth with not so much.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I have not directly called anyone stupid.

I said:
I think it is pathetic a grown man that has played this game longer then the head coach needs to be told, but I'm not sure he wasn't told, and neither are you

The quote you replied to was this^ I would prefer you quote my posts when you want to say something critical about them, otherwise, I have no idea what you are referring to.

I don't think the head coach should have to tell the QB to tell the guys in the huddle simple stuff like stay in bounds. A good QB is going to do that in the huddle and a good coach will remind the QB to do it in crucial parts of the game, but we have no idea what happened. The only person I know for sure made a dumb move is the running back, who reminder or not,he should of known. Everything else is pure speculation, but those with an agenda don't care.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have not directly called anyone stupid.

The quote you replied to was this^ I would prefer you quote my posts when you want to say something critical about them, otherwise, I have no idea what you are referring to.

I don't think the head coach should have to tell the QB to tell the guys in the huddle simple stuff like stay in bounds. A good QB is going to do that in the huddle and a good coach will remind the QB to do it in crucial parts of the game, but we have no idea what happened. The only person I know for sure made a dumb move is the running back, who reminder or not,he should of known. Everything else is pure speculation, but those with an agenda don't care.

That is what you said but that wasn't subtle. Trying to use a double negative to call someone pathetic is what that was.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
thats true, either way they look stupid.
I am glad they won, it makes the gb game more interesting, I hope they win that one too.
This game though was like the first game with giants, the other team made key mistakes at the end and that allowed
dallas to win.

It was a lucky win, nothing inspiring.

I think the team needed the win without romo, and maybe this pumps them up enough to play GB tough.
I think people are over reacting about the last 2 min, both teams made mistakes.
who is dumber,
1.McF for running out of bounds ?
2.Jackson for going from his 24, back to the goal line in attempt to get a good runback?
3. JG for how he handled the td drive of what 15 yards?

I would have to go with #2 jackson that was dumbest thing I have seen in awhile, and on top of that he fumbles ! lol
That changed the game and really allowed us to win.

If he just goes down at 24, I bet game ends differently, and maybe goes to OT.