News: ST: Cowboys coach Jason Garrett explains clock management decisions at end of Redskins game

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by NewsBot, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Ultra Warrior

Ultra Warrior 6 Million Light-years beyond believability.

2,733 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    There isn't a "point". The game is over. We Won. You & others should just let this drop. No game is going to be coached 100% perfect. Mistakes will always be made. It's if those mistakes cost you the game, that matters. It didn't. The End.

2. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

24,614 Messages
    16,370 Likes Received
    And your still trying to fuel your pro-Garrett agenda after years of his incompetence..

I'm talking about the very next play when McFadden scored. I've already said a million times McFadden made a mistake going out of bounds the previous play and if he didn't, Dallas would have kicked a field goal either way with a lot less time on the clock and the Redskins would have had to BURN their time-outs. You know the real issue..

You keep acting as if the dynamic would have been the same for the Redskins of they had no TOs or Dallas would have played defense differently. The Redskins would have to run play with no TOs and run up the field to set. And in none of those scenarios would they've able to choose from a wide diverse set of plays.

Garrett didn't expect the Redskins to return the ball midfield. It's called situational awareness which is a coaches job. If McFadden made a clear mistake the first time, why didn't Garrett tell McFadden not to make the same mistake. Hell, why not tell Cassell to down the ball..

All Dallas would have to do is keep the Redskins inside on 2 plays maximum without any time.

Just stop.. Even your boy Jason admitted McFadden threw him off kilter but they practice going down.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Amy50632 likes this.
  3. Boyz981

Boyz981 Well-Known Member

765 Messages
    782 Likes Received
    Special teams coach wanted that TO!

4. khiladi

24,614 Messages
    16,370 Likes Received
    If there is no point, than why are you on this forum?

Amy50632 likes this.
  5. khiladi

24,614 Messages
    16,370 Likes Received
    The hilarious part of the Garrett defense of Bailey missing FGs, is Garrett has been settling for field goals during this whole stretch of losing.

Suddenly, there is the fear of the deadly Bailey of missing a FG from 2 yards out as some rationale by his homers that Garrett planned wisely.. I mean let's ignore the fact that DMC could fumble, since he already fumbled TWICE or Cassell could bobble the snap or muffle the hand-off and so on..

TheDude and Amy50632 like this.
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

20,145 Messages
    4,101 Likes Received
    see, always someone else's fault

7. Kevinicus

Kevinicus Well-Known Member

15,459 Messages
    8,070 Likes Received
    I wouldn't have just blamed Bailey, but he definitely would have played a big part in things, yes.

No, nothing is ever a sure thing, 100%.

It would have been the result of a lot of things throughout the game, and that would likely be one of the more significant things.

The turnover margin.

You shouldn't have thought that. Decisions should be judged by whether they provide the best chance at success, not whether or not they worked out in a particular instance.

I would have blamed many factors, turnovers primarily, Bailey for missing, and that 3rd and 1 play too which was piss poor coaching as well. If they score there, the entire game changes, nothing would happen exactly as it did before, so you can't play that game with the exception of the very end of the game. It's most likely that if the Skins went down by 4 at that point that and ultimately score a TD, they win the game. Would they have punted back to Dallas?

Which they did not do.

They actually scored 13. They should have gotten a TD on the earlier drive, but poor coaching decisions didn't help the cause. They only got 10 because of Jackson's idiocy and a special teams play of their own, not because the offense did anything great.

Based on the rest of the game, the chances of the Redskins scoring a TD was not great. However, looking at the Cowboys defense and special teams in these situations is cause for concern. Over a minute and two timeouts provides plenty of opportunity, especially to a team with a home run threat like Jackson. You also have to be concerned with the return possibilities and penalties. Despite the odds of the Redskins scoring a TD not being high, it was far greater than the chances of the Cowboys not making a FG with 0 time on the clock had they gotten the first down and not the TD.

Amy50632 likes this.
  8. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

3,070 Messages
    1,984 Likes Received
    Almost the same situation in the Denver vs Cowboys game from 2013.

Manning told Moreno: Get a first down, but don’t score

Manning said after the game that he told Moreno that he needed to get inside the 1-yard line for a first down — but not cross the goal line — so that the Broncos could run the a minute and 30 seconds off the game clock and then kick a field goal as time expired. Manning didn’t want the Broncos to score a touchdown and have to kick the ball back to the Cowboys, who would then have time to score a touchdown of their own and send the game into overtime.

“He basically was asking me, ‘How am I supposed to do that? How can I get a half-yard but not get a yard and a half?‘” Manning said, via the Associated Press. “I just said, ‘You can’t! You can’t score! You can’t do it!'

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/08/manning-told-moreno-get-a-first-down-but-dont-score/

You can say what you want about Peyton but I think most would agree that he is one of the smartest players in the history of the sport.
    That is SMART football and that´s exactly what Dallas should have done on Monday night.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    TheDude, BAT and Amy50632 like this.
  9. Nightman

Nightman Capologist

27,135 Messages
    24,061 Likes Received
    It is too smart to the point of being a gimmick. It's not how you play the game. People get hurt and things go wrong when you go half speed. Every coach in the world will tell you that.

It sounds great on paper but not in reality.

When you are tied or behind, scoring a TD in the last minute is never a mistake.

10. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

12,800 Messages
    10,000 Likes Received
    Garrett didn't run out of bounds. A veteran player did
    The only other option was try not to score td and you'll never convince me going up by 7 with less than two minutes against a team who had not scored or came close to scoring a td in 58 minutes, was not the right thing to do

11. conner01

12,800 Messages
    10,000 Likes Received
    Not close to the same situation
    The skins had not come close to scoring a td in 58 minutes of football

rpntex likes this.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

76,023 Messages
    42,839 Likes Received
    What if I told you we would put Mo on DJax and DJax was heading straight for the end zone. Frankly I'm shocked the Redskins didn't try to exploit that matchup all game. Why they waited until the last 2 minutes made zero sense to me.

Amy50632 likes this.
  13. rpntex

rpntex Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    1,042 Likes Received
    As I recall, on that play Marino did not have a defender anywhere near him, and he went to the ground on his own. McFadden had two Redskins hanging onto him. He still should have been able to drop to the ground after getting the first down, but the objective – decided upon after a discussion on the flightline – was to score if possible. nonetheless, it would have been much harder for McFadden with two defenders on him in that situation.

14. khiladi

24,614 Messages
    16,370 Likes Received
    And coaches called a run to the sidelines.. Maybe McFadden had just as much bad coaching as a rookie that the Cowboys have had with Garrett that veterans ends up making mistakes, because the coaches don't have them prepared..

The point being, if McFadden made a mistake which he did, that exemplifies the point that Dallas was trying to run the clock down... Meaning the coaches were well aware of the clock and time, but bungled it the very next play because, as Garrett admitted that DMC three them off kilter, though they practice going down 100s of times in practice...

Amy50632 likes this.
  15. khiladi

24,614 Messages
    16,370 Likes Received
    So Dallas should assume the Redskins have a better chance NOT scoring with two TOs left and more time on the clock as opposed to not scoring with less than 30 seconds left and no TOs left?

Did Dallas think that the Redskins would run past the half-way mark on the kick-return, you know because they weren't doing that all day and Desean Jackson went full blown stupid on the previous kick return allowing them to score in the first place?

Coy and Amy50632 like this.
  16. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

30,974 Messages
    21,145 Likes Received
    Khiladi, what on earth are you talking about? Besides trying to make GROG a political slogan, I see little substance to your points. Arguing about his clock management from 2+ years ago is fun I guess but grown ups realize things don't stay the same.

Who is to say what Garrett planned. The plan he implemented in practice went in the toilet so he just let it ride. While your master plan of calling timeout and drawing it up in the dirt for them seems flawless, to me, it seems completely obtuse to the significance of DMC screwing it up again.

And before you parrot like and idiot that 'why should he trust DMC to run the ball' I ask you to think it through.

1) a lead run is a routine playcall while your plan is not even remotely
    2) they had just screwed up what they've been practicing since July.

And don't you dare dumb down this take into "pro-Garrett" you know damn well I want Payton over him.

17. conner01

12,800 Messages
    10,000 Likes Received
    Dmac has been in the league a long time and should know not to run out of bounds
    Once he did that changes the whole picture
    They wanted to run the clock down but that doesn't mean you don't take 7 if it's there

18. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

3,070 Messages
    1,984 Likes Received
    Not the point, you don't give them a chance.

khiladi and Amy50632 like this.
  19. khiladi

24,614 Messages
    16,370 Likes Received
    i think you missed the point...

What we are talking about is the ridiculous rationale such as Garrett went for the TD, because Bailey could have botched a field goal like he supposedly did in Seattle..

Amy50632 likes this.
  20. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

30,974 Messages
    21,145 Likes Received
    It's not unrelated.