News: ST: Cowboys coach Jason Garrett explains clock management decisions at end of Redskins game

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by NewsBot, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

4,303 Messages
    1,986 Likes Received
    No, when McFadden got the TD it was exactly 1:13 left on the clock so I don't know where you're getting your time from. If they had taken a knee 3 straight times after McFadden got that 1st down, Washington would have no more than 15 seconds left with no TO's. They would have no time to complete 1 pass without running out of time.

khiladi and Amy50632 like this.
  2. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

30,547 Messages
    19,963 Likes Received
    That is the problem, he doesnt know he made a mistake. You, me, and millions of other fans including the announcers and commentators knew that it was a no brainer to kneel on the ball and run out the clock. Im sure even all the Deadskins fans were saying it was over. Then they saw Dallas completely screw it up. And at least we know 100% now that it was Garrett that did NOTHING as a coach to stop his team screwing it up. First thing any good coach would have done was demand they kneel on the ball. Is that no longer in Clappy the Clowns playbook?

khiladi and Amy50632 like this.
  3. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

4,385 Messages
    6,912 Likes Received
    Everyone except the Garret apologists that is.

Amy50632 likes this.
  4. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

9,968 Messages
    5,038 Likes Received
    He didn't make a mistake...McFadden did in that situation.

You guys should listen to Nate Newton on Talkin Cowboys speak on the subject. I'm sure you won't accept the position because of your disdain for Garrett....but players and coaches have different perspectives than fans.

5. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

9,968 Messages
    5,038 Likes Received
    :facepalm:

6. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

10,214 Messages
    5,828 Likes Received
    Apparently it's all new to you - the guys upstairs usually make the call on challenges and Garrett doesn't make halftime adjustments. You need to watch with greater scrutiny.

Amy50632 likes this.
  7. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

4,385 Messages
    6,912 Likes Received
    Explain

Amy50632 likes this.
  8. StarWiz2

StarWiz2 Active Member

185 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    http://i1028.***BLOCKED***/albums/y344/OldChickie/images_zps87cfzotq.jpeg

Darren McFadden's thought process before running the ball out of bounds? Or, JG's thought process before explanation of time management problem. You decide!

9. InDakWeTrust

InDakWeTrust DezBRomo9

2,062 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    This, every time is see a 12 formation with the WR in motion stopping next to strong side TE, I know it's either a zone right or dive left..last year I remember play action being called and large plays down the seam to 82 or Dez open on a crossing route last year.

10. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

18,310 Messages
    23,684 Likes Received
    I saw the presser on the news last night and he threw McFadden under the bus.

I don't understand it. Just say that's on me, even if you know it's not! There's always a scapegoat.

daveferr33, Kevinicus and Amy50632 like this.
  11. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

5,788 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    You should learn the rules. Only the head coach can challenge

12. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

2,038 Messages
    1,196 Likes Received
    Here's the thing, we actualy did what you said we should do and it did not work! We scored the TD and Washington came right back and scored one of their own. Dallas took just 12 seconds off the clock before scoring and Washington did not have to use a timeout, that is not smart football, it's borderline idiotic.

Kevinicus, Amy50632 and Coy like this.
  13. Doomsay

10,214 Messages
    5,828 Likes Received
    What you meant to say was: only the head coach can actually throw the flag thingie. Challenges are actually the only time they turn Garrett's headset on so that he can receive the "throw, no throw" instructions from the booth. They practice it in training camp.

Amy50632 likes this.
  14. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

3,211 Messages
    2,167 Likes Received
    That's smart football, that's why the defense rather let you score than milk out the clock, so they can get another chance.
    If you miss a 20 yard fg (99% probability) to win the game then you have other sorts of problems.

Amy50632 likes this.
  15. Eric_Boyer

5,788 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    my exact words were "you see that red hankie in his back pocket"

apparently that was too complex for you, throwing the hankie is what initiates a challenge, only he can do it.

Only the head coach can challenge <--fact

16. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

17,049 Messages
    5,132 Likes Received
    Did you forget how mad JG was on Thanksgiving after he threw the challenge flag then saw the challenged play for himself afterwards?
    The coaches upstairs tell him what to challenge.

Amy50632 and Doomsay like this.
  17. Doomsay

10,214 Messages
    5,828 Likes Received
    You still haven't told me what value he adds on the sidelines other than his clock management.

Amy50632 likes this.
  18. Eric_Boyer

5,788 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    it is his and only his decision.

19. Eric_Boyer

5,788 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    this isn't the rant zone. your ****** bag questions don't belong in this zone

20. Doomsay

10,214 Messages
    5,828 Likes Received
    To be fair, the guys in the booth have better views of some calls & most coaches confer with them. It just seems like a more unilateral process with Jason.

Dave_in-NC and Amy50632 like this.