News: ST: Cowboys longshot receiver gets a chance to shine for his Hall of Fame father, Darrell...

NewsBot

Reaction score
In front of his Hall of Fame father in the Hall of Fame game, Jared Green got his moment and didn’t waste it.

There may not be many more.

“His opportunities are going to get less and less when the veterans start playing,” Darrell Green said of his son, who caught a 32-yard pass in the fourth quarter that set up the game-sealing touchdown for the Cowboys in their 24-20 victory against Miami in the preseason opener Sunday night. “He just has to do the right-now moment. That means whatever moment you have, and that’s right now. You got to be great at that moment.”

Jared caught a well-placed pass on the right sideline from fourth-string quarterback Alex Tanney, converting a third-and-6 from the Miami 39 with 2:02 left.

“I got the opportunity, and that’s what I’ve been praying for,” said Green, who can be considered the sixth receiver in camp. “I’ve been praying for a chance to show a little bit of what I can do to better this team. The opportunity revealed itself, and I was blessed with the ability to make the play. That is just one notch closer to the trust of the coaching staff and the quarterbacks.”

Darrell Green said he is naturally pulling for his son, and that the suspense of his effort to make the team is tough.

“You wish you could take their shots when they are crying,” he said. “It’s how I feel. You wish you could do it for him.”

The color of the uniform does not matter for the former Commanders great, who, of course, played his college football in Texas at A&M-Kingsville.

“This is his life, his day,” Green said. “The Cowboys are one of the great teams in the league. He has an opportunity to play there. That’s all any kid could want.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Twitter @calexmendez

Continue reading...