News: ST: Cowboys sound like they'll let linebacker Hitchens walk in free agency

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Draft an upgrade, don’t bring in any other aging vets either...

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Hitchens.JPG

Just what is abnormal in this picture?

Nothing new here ... move along, just another blatant hold that wasn't called !

cern

Reaction score
the writer implies. the reader infers. hitch remains a cowboy for now. but sadly, looks like he'll be gone. big hole to fill. wish it wasn't raining in texas. i'd rather be out quail hunting.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm okay with it but they better draft a better LB'er. Sean Lee only plays half the games anyway and Jaylon can't do it alone. I'm pretty sure Hitch isn't the only LB'er they let walk. It's a weak spot on the team among many.

cern

Reaction score
I'm okay with it but they better draft a better LB'er. Sean Lee only plays half the games anyway and Jaylon can't do it alone. I'm pretty sure Hitch isn't the only LB'er they let walk. It's a weak spot on the team among many.
probably the weakest spot given lack of depth and possible releases/departures. wish this draft would be as filled with lb's as last years was with d-backs.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'd much rather keep him for a reasonable amount, but the odds are he's going to walk for a bigger pay.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
When you look at it we've done a decent job with FA LB'er additions. Durant was serviceable but age caught up to him. Rolando played well before the "purple Jesus drank" did him in. I see David Harris has retired. Not sure who is out there in FA LB'er land but wouldn't be surprised to see a lower tier guy signed in FA
But wouldn't you rather have a LBer core that stout, consistent, has continuity and we're not constantly bringing Jags as bridge players? LB to me is one of the weak spots on this team.

sbark

Reaction score
the writer implies. the reader infers. hitch remains a cowboy for now. but sadly, looks like he'll be gone. big hole to fill. wish it wasn't raining in texas. i'd rather be out quail hunting.
over a setter?.........Pheasant season long over up here in N.Dak, miss it already, but the English setters like sleeping on the living room floor also LOL

CCBoy

Reaction score
But wouldn't you rather have a LBer core that stout, consistent, has continuity and we're not constantly bringing Jags as bridge players? LB to me is one of the weak spots on this team.

As to importance to the team...I'd have to agree.

Reactions: G2

sbark

Reaction score
To me, try to sign Hitch, Let Wilbur and his cap hit walk when logical to do to cover Hitch's extra

, Wilson can cover those snaps, but cannot cover Hitch's snaps, throw a draft pik at replacing Wilbur ST play etc

.........yup, realize Wilbur really pretty cheap and likely in the middle of a contract,

cern

Reaction score
over a setter?.........Pheasant season long over up here in N.Dak, miss it already, but the English setters like sleeping on the living room floor also LOL
chocolate labs. I have 3. all females. they don't mind being wet, but it's been raining for 4 days (snow 2 days ago) and the poor quail need a break from being pressured.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You've never liked him, but you have to admit when he came back and replaced Jaylon is was like we put in Ray Lewis for Bobby Carpenter. The defense improved immensely.

Jaylon Smith is a cripple.

sbark

Reaction score
Excellent, had blacks Labs for years, then got too old to "jig".........needed Pointers to "troll" for me :),

Beaker42

Reaction score
This sucks. I like Hitch. Maybe FA won’t be as fruitful as he thinks. Bring him back down to earth. These players agents ask top dollar.

Baseball salaries are finally starting to slow down as the market comes back to reality and slow pace of FA signings proves. Same needs to happen in football. Let these guys try living on $50-75K a YEAR, not per GAME.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You've never liked him, but you have to admit when he came back and replaced Jaylon is was like we put in Ray Lewis for Bobby Carpenter. The defense improved immensely.

For me, add one of the following as well:

Best options: Roquan Smith, Rashaad Evans and Tremaine Edmunds. Smith and Edmunds are not likely to be there, but if one of them is, it might be the right fit. Smith and Edmunds are absolute studs and Evans is a thumper the Cowboys could use.

http://profootballtalkline.com/nfl/...st-position-need-2018-nfl-draft-cowboys.html/

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Yeah, Jerry and company will let Hitch walk because he is a defensive player. Defense isn’t as important to Jerry. To Jerry the show is all about offense. Example of this: Zack Martin is really good, but in reality he is only as good, especially in pass blocking, as the weakest link on the O line. We saw how well that worked out last year vs Atlanta and Seattle. Zack Martin will probably become one of the, if not the highest, paid G’s in football, but to sign him we will possibly loss Hitch and Irving, two defensive standouts. I think Hitchens is a dam good LB, not a JAG, especially when lined up next to Lee.Look how good NE’s O line is. Not a bunch of all pros making 8-12 million a year like half the guys on our O line. If Zack Martin wants 8 million a year he needs to move to T. Guards are a dime a dozen compared to tackles.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Yeah, Jerry and company will let Hitch walk because he is a defensive player. Defense isn’t as important to Jerry. To Jerry the show is all about offense. Example of this: Zack Martin is really good, but in reality he is only as good, especially in pass blocking, as the weakest link on the O line. We saw how well that worked out last year vs Atlanta and Seattle. Zack Martin will probably become one of the, if not the highest, paid G’s in football, but to sign him we will possibly loss Hitch and Irving, two defensive standouts. I think Hitchens is a dam good LB, not a JAG, especially when lined up next to Lee.Look how good NE’s O line is. Not a bunch of all pros making 8-12 million a year like half the guys on our O line. If Zack Martin wants 8 million a year he needs to move to T. Guards are a dime a dozen compared to tackles.
I'd switch him and collins and keep the entire 2014 draft class intact

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It's a flag offense for an offensive lineman to hold another player when not directly embraced during initial contact.

LOL.................this is Dallas bro, we don't get holding calls................what was it, like 7 consecutive games without a hold call against an opponent.

Funny that during this 7 game stretch was when Jerry was threatening the commish by trying to stop his extension.....just a coincidence, I am sure.

:thumbup: