News: ST: Garrett says there's no advantage to revealing play-caller in June: 'It's just the way I...

NewsBot

Reaction score
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said there’s no advantage to revealing who is going to call plays, not at this point in the offseason.

That’s why he resisted for so long acknowledging what owner Jerry Jones told reporters Tuesday at Valley Ranch – that offensive line coach Bill Callahan will call plays next year.

“There is no real advantage for us to reveal who’s calling the plays explicitly, and how we’re going to do it, in early June,” Garrett said. “It’s just the way I feel about it. We have scouts who advance games, who go watch other teams play, and we try to figure out how they’re calling plays, offensively, defensively and the kicking game. We have a plan in place. We’ve had a plan in place for a long, long time. I don’t want to get into that plan much further than I already have.”

Garrett brushed off the idea that the change could mean he has less power.

“Perception doesn’t matter to me a whole lot,” he said. “Doing my job to the best of my ability matters the most. What my job is, is to try to create an environment for everyone in this building, on this football team, players and coaches, to be put in the best position possible to be there best. And consequently, we can be our best as a team. That’s why I focus on each and every day.”

Garrett said of course he was on board with the decision.

“I’m completely on board with all decisions we make,” he said. “We make collective decisions in this organization. We always have, and we always will.”

Garrett was asked if Jones’ impromptu announcements sometimes make his job more difficult as head coach.

“Not at all,” Garrett said. “He and I get along great. We have a great relationship. He’s an outstanding owner. He’s an outstanding owner because he cares a great deal about this football team and making the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys great. When you’re in an environment like that, working for a guy like that, the pedal is down, and that’s a good thing. The pedal is down for all of us.”

But, Garrett was asked, is it fair to say he and Jones have different philosophies on how information is put out?

Garrett, expressionless, said: “I think you can draw your own conclusions.”

The press conference ended in laughter, and Garrett walked off with a smile.

-- Carlos Mendez

Twitter @calexmendez

Continue reading...