News: ST: Kyle Bosworth says he was just trying to get as many yards as possible on squib

NewsBot

Reaction score
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Kyle Bosworth had two choices when the linebacker and occasional fullback picked up a squib kick late in Sunday's loss to the Lions. Garrett wanted Bosworth to either fall on the ball or run straight up the field.

Bosworth instead picked up the ball at the Dallas 33 and tried to bounce it outside. He got 13 yards, but burned five seconds. It left the Cowboys, who trailed by one point, with only seven seconds.

"When I got it kicked to me, or right up the middle, I saw everything kind of close up, and I saw an opportunity to go outside and I did," Bosworth said. "Just so happened it [the clock] went from 12 to 7."

Bosworth said he and the rest of the special teams players were instructed to run with the anticipated squib kick.

"He [special teams coach Rich Bisaccia] just said get as much as you can get," Bosworth said. "I thought I could get that corner. I probably could have gained a couple of extra seconds if I had just gone straight, but I just tried to get as much as I could."

-- Charean Williams

Continue reading...

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
You're an idiot. Know the situation and know what's at stack and stop trying to be a hero. You don't have the speed or ball handling to make that kind of move. Until we get rid of players who make dumb mistakes like this; this team will always suck. You cost the team a play period. 2 plays 2 TO's they could've gotten into a position to kick a 57-60 yard FG with that amount of time left.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
I was having a happy halloween until I read this. Highschool players know better than to do what Bosworth did. This guy is a scrub, this is exactly the kind of crap you churn the roster to get rid of.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Stupid coaches and stupid players.

Its obvious that Garrett diddnt tell him anything.

^^^^This. It is clear his coaches did not tell him to go up the middle or down the football. It is clear the coaches did not tell Tanner on the last drive to forgo bouncing the ball outside. There are 3 things Garrett could have said before taking the field on that last drive. No fumbles. No penalties. Do not go out of bounds. I thought freeing him up from playcalling would make him better at being a head coach. And from the looks of it...NOTHING has changed.