News: ST: Witten: 'Jon is poised. Jon is real. Jon is authentic.' But will he be good for Dak Prescott?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
'Jon is poised. Jon is real. Jon is authentic.' But will he be good for Dak Prescott?

image.jpg

Former Cowboys tight end Jason Witten believes new quarterback coach Jon Kitna will be good for Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott. He says he will have the same impact that Tony Sparano had on him early in his career.

Read Full Story

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Kind of a BS title for the story because it gives the impression Witten is saying he likes Kitna but isn't sure Kitna will really be a benefit to Dak. That impression is intentionally misleading for the purpose of hooking readers.
But the writing at the bottom of the OP clarifies it.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how Dak develops this offseason. He now has a more "innovative" OC in Moore. He has a new QB coach in Kitna. He should have a healthier and stronger OL with T Fred returning and Williams getting an offseason in the gym. He should also benefit from an offseason with Cooper and the development of the young TEs and any addition skill position players they bring in via the draft or FA.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will be interesting to see how Dak develops this offseason. He now has a more "innovative" OC in Moore. He has a new QB coach in Kitna. He should have a healthier and stronger OL with T Fred returning and Williams getting an offseason in the gym. He should also benefit from an offseason with Cooper and the development of the young TEs and any addition skill position players they bring in via the draft or FA.

For me, it's even more reason as to why I would be in no rush to get a contract extension done now. Everything is lining up in his favor, he should have the best season of his career. And prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is, in fact, this team's franchise quarterback. If he does, I have no problem in paying him at the high end of quarterback salaries. He will have earned it.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
For me, it's even more reason as to why I would be in no rush to get a contract extension done now. Everything is lining up in his favor, he should have the best season of his career. And prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is, in fact, this team's franchise quarterback. If he does, I have no problem in paying him at the high end of quarterback salaries. He will have earned it.

Reasonable approach IMO. If he struggles, you can either walk away or leverage his asking price down.

Zeke though? I would get his done and lock him up for 4-5 years. He is the straw that stirs the drink for our offense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reasonable approach IMO. If he struggles, you can either walk away or leverage his asking price down.

Zeke though? I would get his done and lock him up for 4-5 years. He is the straw that stirs the drink for our offense.

I'd be against that too, for three reasons:
  1. The team has the ability to keep him for two more years under the terms of his rookie contract. I'm not rushing to give that up.
  2. Todd Gurley. The Rams extended him early and are now undeniably having second thoughts about it, especially given his issues down the stretch. I'm not eager to jump into having a problem like that.
  3. The Cowboys are running Elliott into the ground, and his workload far outpaces the closest running back. If you sign him to an extension, you're likely to regret it, as almost all teams do with running backs.
Just my opinion.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For the first time, I'm expecting a big improvement in our offense. Between play calling, the O-line getting healthy, more chemistry with Dak, Gallup, and Cooper, the improvement I expect from the TEs, and Kitna's tutelage, I honestly think we could go deep this season, possibly all the way.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be against that too, for three reasons:
  1. The team has the ability to keep him for two more years under the terms of his rookie contract. I'm not rushing to give that up.
  2. Todd Gurley. The Rams extended him early and are now undeniably having second thoughts about it, especially given his issues down the stretch. I'm not eager to jump into having a problem like that.
  3. The Cowboys are running Elliott into the ground, and his workload far outpaces the closest running back. If you sign him to an extension, you're likely to regret it, as almost all teams do with running backs.
Just my opinion.
Or they begin to manage his carries which negates his mojo. He is the definitive workhorse back on a team that runs the offense through him or they don't do much at all. This team has to run the ball.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Word I've heard is that Kitna doesn't put up with crap quarterback play and lets it be known.

Can Dak avoid the wrath of Kitna?
Actually, he played for a pretty tough coach in Mullen at Miss St., so he's not running from being coached. Because of the nature of the sport, I think most players respond well to tough coaching and prefer it. The question I have is will he be able to do what he needs to do when playing and not revert to instinctive play?

If Kitna can just have success with Prescott with vision and knowing when to throw it away to avoid the negative plays. It has been puzzling to watch the surprise in his eyes when he realizes they're right on him. Can he not see them coming?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or they begin to manage his carries which negates his mojo. He is the definitive workhorse back on a team that runs the offense through him or they don't do much at all. This team has to run the ball.

Undoubtedly, as it is currently built.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
First questions first: Did Kitna have good footwork in the NFL?

If not, it's reason to worry if he'll make Dak's feet better.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the first time, I'm expecting a big improvement in our offense. Between play calling, the O-line getting healthy, more chemistry with Dak, Gallup, and Cooper, the improvement I expect from the TEs, and Kitna's tutelage, I honestly think we could go deep this season, possibly all the way.

Agree.

Even without adding any new players, they could be significantly better.

They are a young team and young players improve with experience.
Gallup
Connor Williams
La'el
All the TEs.
Dak.

They get Frederick back and have Cooper all off-season.

Moore can't be any worse than Linehan and might be much better.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
'Jon is poised. Jon is real. Jon is authentic.' But will he be good for Dak Prescott?

image.jpg

Former Cowboys tight end Jason Witten believes new quarterback coach Jon Kitna will be good for Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott. He says he will have the same impact that Tony Sparano had on him early in his career.

Read Full Story

One thing that seems obvious, especially after the Cowboys game that Witten worked, is that he did not like Scott Linehan.