Stafford decides not to max out new deal. Still big $$

DFWJC

Reaction score
But it's still 4 years 160 mil
:laugh:

Certainly, not remotely the Brady discount but could've gone for 180 or even 190 (45-47.5 mil) but did not push it.

Just be happy your front office continues to surround you with talent.

Flamma

Reaction score

Certainly, not remotely the Brady discount but could've gone for 180 or even 190 (45-47.5 mil) but did not push it.

His contract is really cap friendly for the next two years. The two years following that are at 50M, but the cap will be much higher, and those two years just happen to have big base salaries. So they can restructure if need be. Matt Stafford's cap hit will stay under 10%. Can't beat that.

kskboys

Reaction score

What was that? I hear the greedies spewing: "You'd fight for every dime too."

No, I wouldn't. I'd be happy being an incredibly rich man fighting for a ring, w/ a few mill less than I could've gotten. That's what a real man does, not hold the team hostage over pennies.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
His contract is really cap friendly for the next two years. The two years following that are at 50M, but the cap will be much higher, and those two years just happen to have big base salaries. So they can restructure if need be. Matt Stafford's cap hit will stay under 10%. Can't beat that.
Same exact thing happened with Dak's contract, yet so many here have bashed Dak while congratulating Matt Stafford.
:facepalm:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

No, I wouldn't. I'd be happy being an incredibly rich man fighting for a ring, w/ a few mill less than I could've gotten. That's what a real man does, not hold the team hostage over pennies.
Same exact contract that Dak got. Same thing. Yet, Dak gets blasted while Matt gets applauded.

The personal hatred is clear as day for some.

Flamma

Reaction score
Same exact thing happened with Dak's contract, yet so many here have bashed Dak while congratulating Matt Stafford.
:facepalm:

None of Dak's cap hits are bad due to restructure. The only difference is Dak has double the money being pushed forward, if not more.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
None of Dak's cap hits are bad due to restructure. The only difference is Dak has double the money being pushed forward, if not more.
Do you think Stafford's new contract will get restructured as well next year or the year after?

I know Dak has a higher "fully guaranteed" ($95 mil) compared to Matthew's ($63 mil), but the cap hits look almost identical. Which one has a better team-friendly deal?

Flamma

Reaction score
Do you think Stafford's new contract will get restructured as well next year or the year after?

I know Dak has a higher "fully guaranteed" ($95 mil) compared to Matthew's ($63 mil), but the cap hits look almost identical. Which one has a better team-friendly deal?

Forget all that. What matters is their cap impact on the team. Right now Dak's cap hit is ideal. Right now Dak's cap hit is higher than Stafford's, but it doesn't matter since both are so stupid low. The biggest difference short term is that Dak doesn't play for the Rams. Stafford does. I know Dak isn't elite, but either is Stafford. He's just on a team willing to go all out to win a championship. The Cowboys are not. And I'm not even a Dak fan.

These are the same Cowboys that had Romo at QB. IMO Romo is better than Stafford. But Romo didn't play for a team like the Rams that went all out. Right now Dak's cap hit is very team friendly. But the Jones boys don't seem t want to take advantage of that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Forget all that. What matters is their cap impact on the team. Right now Dak's cap hit is ideal. Right now Dak's cap hit is higher than Stafford's, but it doesn't matter since both are so stupid low. The biggest difference short term is that Dak doesn't play for the Rams. Stafford does. I know Dak isn't elite, but either is Stafford. He's just on a team willing to go all out to win a championship. The Cowboys are not. And I'm not even a Dak fan.

These are the same Cowboys that had Romo at QB. IMO Romo is better than Stafford. But Romo didn't play for a team like the Rams that went all out. Right now Dak's cap hit is very team friendly. But the Jones boys don't seem t want to take advantage of that.
Agreed on everything except for Romo. In 2007, Romo was surrounded by a franchise record 13 Pro Bowlers. It doesn't get any better than that to be surrounded with top talent.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Agreed on everything except for Romo. In 2007, Romo was surrounded by a franchise record 13 Pro Bowlers. It doesn't get any better than that to be surrounded with top talent.
They did have a nice team in Romo's first full year as a starter.

I think everyone knows that back then--when voting was mid-season and it was 100% popularity contest--that Dallas' redhot start led to a fan frenzy and about 6-8 guys making the Pro Bowl that were not really Pro Bowlers.

But yeah....very nicely balanced team in 2007, that lost to the eventual Super Bowl winner Giants. Giants held the 18-0 Pats (a team that destroyed Dallas by 3 TDs) to 14 points.

Marion Barber was the league's 18th leading rusher....made the Pro Bowl, for example.
Any Cowboy with a pulse was getting voted in.

Flamma

Reaction score

In 2007 Romo just awoke from his crib. Besides that, the Giants beat the best team I've ever seen play, the 2007 Patriots.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score

*THIS* non-union and unAmerican! You'd be an idiot to take a few million less than you could've gotten!! This is America, we don't do business like that. You must be from Canada or something!!

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what Derrick Carr gets from the Raiders. I'm assuming they'll either extend him before the season starts, or move on after this year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Same exact contract that Dak got. Same thing. Yet, Dak gets blasted while Matt gets applauded.

The personal hatred is clear as day for some.
Did Stafford previously hold out for a bloated contract? I'm not a DET fan, so I surely don't know.

I'm a Cowboys fan. I am against whatever hurts our chances of winning a super bowl. Players who hold out for max contracts hurt our chances. I personally hate any player who holds out for max money if they are not worth it. Hate is way too strong of a word, BTW, it's more of a dislike. I extend it to DLaw and Zeke also, both of whom pulled major chickenpoop moves to assuage their greed.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what Derrick Carr gets from the Raiders. I'm assuming they'll either extend him before the season starts, or move on after this year.
Move on? You think? Carr has been a very good QB his entire career. What makes you think they'd move on?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Did Stafford previously hold out for a bloated contract? I'm not a DET fan, so I surely don't know.

I'm a Cowboys fan. I am against whatever hurts our chances of winning a super bowl. Players who hold out for max contracts hurt our chances. I personally hate any player who holds out for max money if they are not worth it. Hate is way too strong of a word, BTW, it's more of a dislike. I extend it to DLaw and Zeke also, both of whom pulled major chickenpoop moves to assuage their greed.
Did Dak hold out? I don't remember Dak holding out during the season (which includes training camp and preseason).

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
In 2007 Romo just awoke from his crib. Besides that, the Giants beat the best team I've ever seen play, the 2007 Patriots.
True on Romo. He was very immature at the time (2007), but you can't say he didn't have as much good talent around him in 2007 as Stafford had last year in L.A..

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
They did have a nice team in Romo's first full year as a starter.

I think everyone knows that back then--when voting was mid-season and it was 100% popularity contest--that Dallas' redhot start led to a fan frenzy and about 6-8 guys making the Pro Bowl that were not really Pro Bowlers.

But yeah....very nicely balanced team in 2007, that lost to the eventual Super Bowl winner Giants. Giants held the 18-0 Pats (a team that destroyed Dallas by 3 TDs) to 14 points.

Marion Barber was the league's 18th leading rusher....made the Pro Bowl, for example.
Any Cowboy with a pulse was getting voted in.
Blasphemy! Those Cowboys were legit Pro Bowlers.

Knocking down MBIII in order to cover up for Romo’s "shortcomings" at the time? You Romo hardcore fanatics do it all the time.

Look at MBIII's 2007 highlights. No way in hell anyone can say he wasn't a Pro Bowler!

Heck, look at the push, the holes and running lanes that 2007 Oline created every single play! That's the best Oline performance we have seen since then, and that's because we are now in 2022!!! So enough with the lies to cover up for Romo's early years shortcomings. Romo was surrounded with a franchise record 13 Pro Bowlers! Count them...13 Pro Bowlers during his early years as a starter, but they came up way short. Heck, I bet Dak would have done better if he was surrounded with 13 Pro Bowlers, MBIII and that monster Oline!