Started New Job

lukin2006

Reaction score
As some of you know I am separated from my wife and needed to get back to work out of necessity.

Most screwed up work place I have ever worked at...and I am not exaggerating. Constantly understaffed. Some of the employees in my department are just plain lazy, incompetent, no work ethic and showing up appears optional.

People leave when they choose, telling no one. Call off just because. And in manny cases do not call at all when not coming in.

And no one gets fired. The manager of that department could not run a hotdog stand. How do these managers get these jobs...they have to know someone.

End of rant. I just needed to vent.

I have been in full court press trying to find a new job. But jobs are scarce.

Bigdog

Reaction score
First I am sorry about your divorce. Marriage is difficult. Second I am sorry you have to work at a place that just doesn’t have good work ethics or ethics in general. Best of luck to your search for a job and for someone that you can live with that makes you happy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As some of you know I am separated from my wife and needed to get back to work out of necessity.

Most screwed up work place I have ever worked at...and I am not exaggerating. Constantly understaffed. Some of the employees in my department are just plain lazy, incompetent, no work ethic and showing up appears optional.

People leave when they choose, telling no one. Call off just because. And in manny cases do not call at all when not coming in.

And no one gets fired. The manager of that department could not run a hotdog stand. How do these managers get these jobs...they have to know someone.

They should have never drafted you, when are you up for FA?

lukin2006

Reaction score
First I am sorry about your divorce. Marriage is difficult. Second I am sorry you have to work at a place that just doesn’t have good work ethics or ethics in general. Best of luck to your search for a job and for someone that you can live with that makes you happy.

Thank you for your kind words.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sorry about the work situation as well as the divorce... as someone near and dear to me once said (as I was going through a similar situation): "you need a girlfriend, or a distraction, or a girlfriend"

:muttley:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I'm confused. Your thread title says started a new job, but your post says jobs are scarce like you're still looking.

So, either congrats on the job, or good luck finding one.

The odd thing is, unemployment is a low, though that is expected to change due to the world wide economic slowdown. That said, what vocation exactly?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm confused. Your thread title says started a new job, but your post says jobs are scarce like you're still looking.

So, either congrats on the job, or good luck finding one.

The odd thing is, unemployment is a low, though that is expected to change due to the world wide economic slowdown. That said, what vocation exactly?
I did some research recently on jobs for a friend of mine whose company downsized and was shocked just how many open jobs there are out there.

I think the main thing a lot of people, especially 35+ year-old people, do is get stuck in the old way of thinking that 1) you should only apply for jobs that specifically match your existing skills or past education/training, AND 2) that companies will only hire people that match every line item on their requirement list.

When I was looking at jobs for my friend, I remember seeing some of the "Required skills" lists and thinking, if someone had all of those skills, it would cost that company well into the mid-six figures and even then, it would be a short term rental because that person would be in very high demand all over the country.

In the professional world, jobs are mostly about interviews and money. Most companies list job openings hoping to get awesome employees for non-awesome salaries. However, what they really want is someone who can do one or two things consistently well while being reliable showing up and doing their job.

kskboys

Reaction score
I did some research recently on jobs for a friend of mine whose company downsized and was shocked just how many open jobs there are out there.

I think the main thing a lot of people, especially 35+ year-old people, do is get stuck in the old way of thinking that 1) you should only apply for jobs that specifically match your existing skills or past education/training, AND 2) that companies will only hire people that match every line item on their requirement list.

When I was looking at jobs for my friend, I remember seeing some of the "Required skills" lists and thinking, if someone had all of those skills, it would cost that company well into the mid-six figures and even then, it would be a short term rental because that person would be in very high demand all over the country.

In the professional world, jobs are mostly about interviews and money. Most companies list job openings hoping to get awesome employees for non-awesome salaries. However, what they really want is someone who can do one or two things consistently well while being reliable showing up and doing their job.
Nicely done.

Employers are always looking for energetic go getters who have the capability to learn and adjust.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

I agree. Actually, in my hiring practices I want that great person, but they can be difficult to find. My company is actually willing to pay above average for great developers, but the deal is. Truly great developers are hard to come by. (because great means more than just knowing your job)

I don't know how many times I get resumes that look good on paper, and then you talk to the person and can immediately spot the person and the resume are two different things. I won't hire deceptive people. If you're a liar. You won't be on my team. Always be up front about your skill set and whatever else. Trust is not given out, it's earned and if you fail by lying to be before I even met you. You will never earn my trust.

The project manager I hired had a decent resume, not fantastic. When I would ask her about something specific on her resume, she immediately said. I've done this, but minimal and I do not want you to think I'm an expert at this. I took that as a very good sign. She passed all my questions and the fact that she was truthful about what her real skill set was was enough for me to make her an offer. She has been the best PM I've worked with thus far in my career. That's saying a lot.

The character of the person I hire is of extreme importance to me. Happy workers are productive workers. Unhappy or lazy workers breed unhappy and lazy workers. I will have none of that working for me.

Due to the difficult in finding people who have the high end skills said and have character. I tend to end up hiring more people that have promising aptitude for a given position if they also have great character and grow them. A majority of our help desk team actually came from our warehouse / manufacturing. They told their managers they wanted to go into IT. We interviewed them and their home hobbies where IT related things. (programming, building PCs, etc) I gave them their shot and so far they have been doing very well and in some cases have moved out of help desk into Network Administrator, Systems Administration, and one even decided to move into QA. (no idea what possessed them to do that! hah but to each their own! QA takes a certain type of personality)

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree. Actually, in my hiring practices I want that great person, but they can be difficult to find. My company is actually willing to pay above average for great developers, but the deal is. Truly great developers are hard to come by. (because great means more than just knowing your job)

I don't know how many times I get resumes that look good on paper, and then you talk to the person and can immediately spot the person and the resume are two different things. I won't hire deceptive people. If you're a liar. You won't be on my team. Always be up front about your skill set and whatever else. Trust is not given out, it's earned and if you fail by lying to be before I even met you. You will never earn my trust.

The project manager I hired had a decent resume, not fantastic. When I would ask her about something specific on her resume, she immediately said. I've done this, but minimal and I do not want you to think I'm an expert at this. I took that as a very good sign. She passed all my questions and the fact that she was truthful about what her real skill set was was enough for me to make her an offer. She has been the best PM I've worked with thus far in my career. That's saying a lot.

The character of the person I hire is of extreme importance to me. Happy workers are productive workers. Unhappy or lazy workers breed unhappy and lazy workers. I will have none of that working for me.

Due to the difficult in finding people who have the high end skills said and have character. I tend to end up hiring more people that have promising aptitude for a given position if they also have great character and grow them. A majority of our help desk team actually came from our warehouse / manufacturing. They told their managers they wanted to go into IT. We interviewed them and their home hobbies where IT related things. (programming, building PCs, etc) I gave them their shot and so far they have been doing very well and in some cases have moved out of help desk into Network Administrator, Systems Administration, and one even decided to move into QA. (no idea what possessed them to do that! hah but to each their own! QA takes a certain type of personality)
Nice.

I've seen many places of business ruined by one or two bad apples. Young friend of mine started a business, I guess about 5 years ago. It was fascinating watching him learn stuff. Couple of things: You cannot let your employees smoke pot on the job. I was amazed that he thought it was OK, but he soon learned it was not.

You can't always be nice to employees. There's a huge variation between employees. Some don't work well at all if you don't jump their bum now and then. Others will quit trying if you even speak harshly to them.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have interviewed hundreds of applicants, fewer candidates, but my primary objective was to stop doing that. If I had someone that I thought was better but would be moving on v someone was somewhat less but I thought would be stable and stay there, I would fall back on the latter. The only thing worse than interviewing for jobs is interviewing for employees.

If you've never done that in a market with a limited pool of qualified prospects, try that and tell me you don't want to get up the next morning and run away. I have interviewed every type of creature including a guy with Tourette's and he informed me of that, what he left out was he could not stop howling like a wolf, as I found out into the interview. The people in the office thought I was beating him in my office. Shame too, I think he could have done well, good enough to lead the pack.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice.

I've seen many places of business ruined by one or two bad apples. Young friend of mine started a business, I guess about 5 years ago. It was fascinating watching him learn stuff. Couple of things: You cannot let your employees smoke pot on the job. I was amazed that he thought it was OK, but he soon learned it was not.

You can't always be nice to employees. There's a huge variation between employees. Some don't work well at all if you don't jump their bum now and then. Others will quit trying if you even speak harshly to them.
Managing individuals to comprise a team takes a lot of patience. In the mid 80's, I had 8 saleswomen and 1 guy and my best salesperson was a 45 year old woman who gave me a secret calendar of the menstrual cycles of all of the women. I was never so thankful to get that, only problem is that it wasn't I could ask for in subsequent markets, I had to move forward......ever.......so...…...carefully.......step......by......step...….inch...….by...….inch.

Xelda

Reaction score
Luken, how do you feel about Southern heat? You could make a small fortune and be your own boss. Buy a riding lawn mower, trailer, good weed eater, blower, hedge trimmers and an Igloo for the drinks of your choice. You'd have winters off and can ride around laughing at us as we try to navigate frozen roads. It's an option.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Nice.

I'm nice and friendly with the people who work for me, but I do not befriend them. I try to make it fun around the office, but they all know. This is a business and it's business first and fun second.

If you come into the office inebriated. That likely will be the last time you come into the office. Your job is far more safe if you just call in sick. Just remember, you only have so many days to call in sick (real sick or not) till even that will become termination. You have a job because there is a job to do. If you're never there, someone else will be.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/complaint-box.396630/

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm nice and friendly with the people who work for me, but I do not befriend them. I try to make it fun around the office, but they all know. This is a business and it's business first and fun second.

If you come into the office inebriated. That likely will be the last time you come into the office. Your job is far more safe if you just call in sick. Just remember, you only have so many days to call in sick (real sick or not) till even that will become termination. You have a job because there is a job to do. If you're never there, someone else will be.
You can be friends w/ your employees like you can be friends w/ your kids. Must be the parent/employer first.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I work to make money. I don't work to make friends. While I'm friendly with almost everyone, there are only a couple I consider friends, and I rarely choose to hang out with even them outside of work.
I learned at my last job that very few people can distinguish between personal and professional, and even though I'm not the boss at this job, being too close with co-workers can be a pain in the ***.

Oh...and I don't really care for most people.