Starting Left Guard - Who will it be?

J12B

Reaction score
With drafting the Penn State player in the 3rd round who is capable of playing Guard and Center, their will be a few players fighting for that Left Guard spot.

Xavier Su'Filo
Connor William's
Joe Looney (with Frederick expected to return)
Connor McGovern

Let's say all players are decent options but there is no clear front runner....who gets the job for starting LG?

Personally, I feel it is in the team's best interest to start either Su'Filo or Looney. Shift Williams over to Tackle and prepare him for next year. McGovern can learn on the sidelines this year and come in and start next year.

This is a contract year for both players and if one of them can step up and play solid, Dallas will have another Ron Leary situation on their hands. Meaning one of these players can cash in during free agency and get the team a 4th round comp pick or possibly a 3rd.

Now if any player is a clear front runner, then by all means, start that player.

Should be a fun and interesting training camp for the oline with all the talent that is available.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Just let it play out, if it's competition and not injury that decides the outcome the winner will no doubt provide a huge upgrade over last season's level of play.
Training camp competition is going to be fierce across the board:flagwave:

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Looney at LG and move Williams to RT assuming La’el needs more time to recover from shoulder surgery..
Honestly that's exactly what I would like to see...I honestly think depending on how Williams would play at RT that it'd be our best way to line up. Looney is a better G than Filo.

Nexx

Reaction score
I think Williams should be cross trained at tackle but he’s the front runner at LG for me. Looks like he’s addressed weight/strength issues and technique wise I thought he was a level above Looney/Su’a Filo.

completely agree. one more year of Williams at LG and Collins at Right tackle. Let McGovern gain strength and experience this year. Next year its McGovern and LG and Williams at Right tackle. Let Collins walk and get a 4th round comp pick for him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Let's say all players are decent options but there is no clear front runner....who gets the job for starting LG?

Personally, I feel it is in the team's best interest to start either Su'Filo or Looney. Shift Williams over to Tackle and prepare him for next year. McGovern can learn on the sidelines this year and come in and start next year.

It's in the team's best interest to play the guys with more upside who they have under contract for years to come. That's Williams and McGovern. If McGovern is close to Looney or SuaFilo, he starts.

If they start this year, we'll have our starting oline set for the next 3 years.

starfan1

Reaction score
So I’ve said this before maybe not here but at ranch I can’t remember but is anyone else besides me worried about our perennial pro bowler now often injured left tackle

Don’t get me wrong I still think he’s best option on roster but who is the best person to step in there once his back flares up again

I really consider that position a priority to address and soon even more than safety

Am I worried about nothing?

John813

Reaction score
IMO Williams is probably the favorite. A year in bulking up and a handful of games to remind/rewatch to see his flaws and work on them.

I'll be amazed if Sua-Filo makes the roster, if they get through TC/PS without any injuries. Could see him moved for a conditional late rounder or equal level roster player before the 53 man cuts.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With drafting the Penn State player in the 3rd round who is capable of playing Guard and Center, their will be a few players fighting for that Left Guard spot.

Xavier Su'Filo
Connor William's
Connor McGovern

This is a contract year for both players and if one of them can step up and play solid, Dallas will have another Ron Leary situation on their hands. Meaning one of these players can cash in during free agency and get the team a 4th round comp pick or possibly a 3rd.

Now if any player is a clear front runner, then by all means, start that player.

Should be a fun and interesting training camp for the oline with all the talent that is available.

I'm hoping that McGovern is given the chance and wins the job outright. For no other reason than tomadd an element of physicality that the team lacked inside last year. Between Looney replacing Frederick and Williams as a rookie replacing Cooper, the team lost a lot of its power inside. And I think that in turn greatly contributed to their short yardage and red zone struggles.

I'd like to see Williams get plenty of reps at RT as well, to prepare for what will likely be Collins' departure. Collins will miss most of the offseason work recovering from shoulder surgery and that makes it the perfect team time to get Williams reps there.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I want them to battle it out in camp. Call me old fashioned.

I'd almost have to screw up a 'wet dream' to mess with that very projection...and to this fan, the offensive line's present and future projections, are already on roster.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Xavier Su'Filo
Connor William's
Connor McGovern

JMO but barring injury and shuffle I suspect the left and right side of the line to look the same as 2018. The centre will look different hopefully. All bets off in 2020

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I think people are jumping a little too quick to assume, but the Jones boys are fans of starting the 5 best offensive linemen on the team and these boys will have to battle it out.

I think McGovern wins the LG job.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
We have a lot of options so that is the good thing. Let them battle it out in camp not just at guard but at RT as well and may the best man win.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Just let it play out, if it's competition and not injury that decides the outcome the winner will no doubt provide a huge upgrade over last season's level of play.
Training camp competition is going to be fierce across the board:flagwave:
I think Alexander being gone is good for about 4 additional wins. He had to be a mole for the Eagles or ‘Skins.