Starting Left Guard - Who will it be?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So I’ve said this before maybe not here but at ranch I can’t remember but is anyone else besides me worried about our perennial pro bowler now often injured left tackle

Don’t get me wrong I still think he’s best option on roster but who is the best person to step in there once his back flares up again

I really consider that position a priority to address and soon even more than safety

Am I worried about nothing?

It's fair to worry. Could be an issue for the rest of his career.

I think he was actually better with the back last year than in 2017. Fingers crossed that he turned the corner.

Number1

Reaction score
I think people are jumping a little too quick to assume, but the Jones boys are fans of starting the 5 best offensive linemen on the team and these boys will have to battle it out.

I think McGovern wins the LG job.

Williams, Collins, Su'Filo, McGovern, and Looney may all be fighting for the start at LG.
Would it really surprise anyone if McGovern flat takes the LG spot in camp?

Colombo may surprise a lot of people with his line up.
For example, if the idea is "a nasty attitude" he may go to more man blocking - still want to get rid of Collins? or move him to LG?

if Williams is a better pass blocker than Collins at RT, and Collins more powerful than Williams at LG? ... DUH

Smith / Flemming
Collins / Su'Filo
Frederick / Looney
Martin / McGovern
Williams / Collins

and what if Fleming is the 2nd best OT ... hard to imagine he can't pass block better than Collins

2019 may depend more on Colombo's judgement than Moore's play calling

bodi

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Number1, post: 9205457, member: 40264

2019 may depend more on Colombo's judgement than Moore's play calling[/QUOTE]

quit being so smart

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Williams, Collins, Su'Filo, McGovern, and Looney may all be fighting for the start at LG.
Would it really surprise anyone if McGovern flat takes the LG spot in camp?

For example, if the idea is "a nasty attitude" he may go to more man blocking - still want to get rid of Collins? or move him to LG?

if Williams is a better pass blocker than Collins at RT, and Collins more powerful than Williams at LG? ... DUH

Smith / Flemming
Collins / Su'Filo
Frederick / Looney
Martin / McGovern
Williams / Collins

and what if Fleming is the 2nd best OT ... hard to imagine he can't pass block better than Collins

2019 may depend more on Colombo's judgement than Moore's play calling
Agreed. These guys need to play with a nasty attitude and swagger.

What the Colts were doing at OL last season is want I want us to do this season. They were bullies at the LOS.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Sorry to inform you folks but Looney is trade bait. The job at LT is Conner Williams to lose.

Xavier187

Reaction score
Smith LT
McGovern LG
Fredrick C
Martin RG
Williams RT

Hyatt OG OT
Flemming swing OT
Puni OG
Looney is the wild card

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LT- Smith, Flemming
LG- McGovern, Filo
C- Fredbeard, Looney
RG- Martin, Looney, Filo
RT- Lael, Williams

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I’m just glad Dallas has the depth going into this year that whoever is plugged in should workout well

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Tyron-Williams-Frederick-Martin-Collins To start the season but will look different later in the season. Tyron-McGovern-Frederick-Martin-Williams.

With Collins out for injury for a while, it's Tyron-McGovern-Frederick-Martin-Williams unless McGovern or Williams shows they're not up for it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This group excites me.
No matter what, it's hard to imagine the OL being anything but dominant.
I'm honestly happy with any of those three.
Jerry Jones mentioned layering strength on strength and I agree with part of that. The McGovern pick was insightful even though it looks not significant at the time of the pick.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Jerry Jones mentioned layering strength on strength and I agree with part of that. The McGovern pick was insightful even though it looks not significant at the time of the pick.
Very cap savvy pick.
I also wouldn't be surprised to see Collins get a deal between 10-12 million a year given how thin the Tackle market usually is.
We may even end up with a comp pick for Collins close to or on par with where McGovern was taken

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
That is assuming a three way battle with those three players. Su'a-Filo deserves a shot too.
Yeah, let him compete, of course.
He's probably your fourth choice between all the candidates and even he is functional.
The depth is pretty much stupidly good.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Darkhorse at LG...wait for it....one of 2 guys..ONE would be crazy..Larry Allen Jr. HE IS A REAL LONGSHOT. But given his genes, who knows. The other, not so outlandish at all considering how well they played in 2018, that would be Joe Looney. I see a scenario where McGovern becomes the jack of all trades and backs up FredBeard at center and Connor Williams becomes a depth guy and a swing tackle. That may make Fleming expendable.Watch out for Joe Looney at guard this year. Depends on how camp goes.