Starting Left Guard - Who will it be?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Darkhorse at LG...wait for it....one of 2 guys..ONE would be crazy..Larry Allen Jr. HE IS A REAL LONGSHOT. But given his genes, who knows. The other, not so outlandish at all considering how well they played in 2018, that would be Joe Looney. I see a scenario where McGovern becomes the jack of all trades and backs up FredBeard at center and Connor Williams becomes a depth guy and a swing tackle. That may make Fleming expendable.Watch out for Joe Looney at guard this year. Depends on how camp goes.
I used to love Darkhorse Comics.
They were pretty edgy and weird, back in the day.
Robocop Vs Godzilla? 4 Issue mini-series?
Sign me up!

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
LT - Smith, Fleming
LG - Mcgovern, Sua-Filo
C - Frederick, Looney
RG - Martin, Sua-Filo
RT - Williams, Fleming

Close....but the more I've been thinking about this I think Collins best spot might be left tackle...and he should concentrate on that spot...incase something happens to Tyron. Tyron always seems to get nicked up anyway....so might as well be prepared.

Question is...will we go long on the O-line? :rolleyes:

LT - Smith, Williams
LG - Mcgovern, Sua-Filo
C - Frederick, Looney
RG - Martin,
RT - Collins , Fleming

75boyz

Reaction score
So I’ve said this before maybe not here but at ranch I can’t remember but is anyone else besides me worried about our perennial pro bowler now often injured left tackle

Don’t get me wrong I still think he’s best option on roster but who is the best person to step in there once his back flares up again

I really consider that position a priority to address and soon even more than safety

Am I worried about nothing?

Nope, your worry is legitimate as I agree with you. It's still the one thing that can hi jack/sabotage the whole season. Fleming is merely a stop gap measure, not an extended playing time starter.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Close....but the more I've been thinking about this I think Collins best spot might be left tackle...and he should concentrate on that spot...incase something happens to Tyron. Tyron always seems to get nicked up anyway....so might as well be prepared.

Question is...will we go long on the O-line? :rolleyes:

LT - Smith, Williams
LG - Mcgovern, Sua-Filo
C - Frederick, Looney
RG - Martin,
RT - Collins , Fleming

Not a bad point. People are saying the Mcgovern pick makes Collins expendable, but I'm not so sure about that. We really only have one "certain" stud on our OL - Martin. The other two studs - Smith and Frederick - have serious health concerns that could bring their careers to a sudden halt. Mcgovern could fill in at LG, which would allow us to move Williams to RT, but he also could replace Frederick if his disease is more serious than we think. Also, even if Frederick stays healthy and we slide Williams out to RT, should that mean we get rid of Collins? If Smith's health is more serious than we think, we can be looking at Collins and Williams as our future tackles. Then there's always the possibility of Williams being a bust, Collins never reaching his potential, and Mcgovern being nothing special.

jaybird

Reaction score
With drafting the Penn State player in the 3rd round who is capable of playing Guard and Center, their will be a few players fighting for that Left Guard spot.

Xavier Su'Filo
Connor William's
Joe Looney (with Frederick expected to return)
Connor McGovern

Let's say all players are decent options but there is no clear front runner....who gets the job for starting LG?

Personally, I feel it is in the team's best interest to start either Su'Filo or Looney. Shift Williams over to Tackle and prepare him for next year. McGovern can learn on the sidelines this year and come in and start next year.

This is a contract year for both players and if one of them can step up and play solid, Dallas will have another Ron Leary situation on their hands. Meaning one of these players can cash in during free agency and get the team a 4th round comp pick or possibly a 3rd.

Now if any player is a clear front runner, then by all means, start that player.

Should be a fun and interesting training camp for the oline with all the talent that is available.
Ideally I like to see Looney swing guard/center and Williams swing tackle. Starting 5 as follows:
Smith-McGovern-Fredrick -the President- L Collins
That would be ideal for now and our future-IMO