Starting O-Line for 2019

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
La'El is a bust as a RT in the NFL, he either needs to be moved to LG or released.
Nah...he had a less than average year. In 2017 he faced a murderers row of top shelf defensive ends each week and dominated......he just needs to get back to playing at that level. The change from pollack to that bengals oline coach may have disrupted his growth. He seemed to improve after bengals guy got fired.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A new OC and hopefully new weapons at TE and WR and Frederick alone should be a massive shot in the arm for our offense. Anything less than 28 PPG with the talent we have next season and I will consider it underperforming.

Agreed.

I think you'll see the offense take a step forward as the defense did this season.

10-6?

I think that's the bottom threshold for the '19 season's team.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Agreed. He has been vastly
Overrated andhe was gifted a starting spot.

Let’s see how he does under Columbo, he took a step back this year and I think a lot of it had to do with the philosophy change. Collins is aggressive by nature and Alexander’s system is very passive.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Nah...he had a less than average year. In 2017 he faced a murderers row of top shelf defensive ends each week and dominated......he just needs to get back to playing at that level. The change from pollack to that bengals oline coach may have disrupted his growth. He seemed to improve after bengals guy got fired.

We have way different definitions of dominated.

Was he serviceable against top shelf talent towards the end of last season? Yes.
Dominated them? Absolutely not.

In four seasons he has a good six game stretch to his name.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LT - Smith, Fleming
LG - Collins, Sua-Filo
OC - Frederick, Looney
RG - Martin, Looney
RT - Williams, Fleming

I like this but I'd put Looney at LG and call Gruden with an offer Collins. This is his contract year. Don't us signing him to a mega deal. Gruden and Raiders are loaded with picks and cap space.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Agreed.

He is what he is... An adequate backup.

His splits between his pass blocking grade and run blocking grade was large–65.4 to 45.2. He could pass block some but his run blocking was bad.

Even if the four other starters played the same in '19 and they did in '18, just having Frederick out there would give a big boost to the Oline.

His natural position is Guard. It is not Center, just as an FYI.

CB61

Reaction score
Agreed. He has been vastly
Overrated andhe was gifted a starting spot.
That's because he's a better guard than tackle and same with Williams so why not flip flop them? Or throw Looney guard be tough to breaking a new right tackle unless someone jumps up in free agency

Brooksey

Reaction score
I prefer Collins at RT but not for 10,000,000 a year. Connor was a left tackle in college, he has the feet to play right tackle and he'll be 10 lbs heavier next season. It's worth considering

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
This will be a huge offseason for CW in the weightroom. Once he matures and becomes NFL lineman strong, he is going to be very good.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Smith, Collins, Fredrick, Martin, Williams. Left side, strong side!

Rayman70

Reaction score
This will be a huge offseason for CW in the weightroom. Once he matures and becomes NFL lineman strong, he is going to be very good.
Why does he remind me of Clay Shiver? Just cant shake that. Same body type?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Anything but Lael at RT. Dude sucks and is paid like a pro bowler.
BETTER be careful...dems fighting words lol...I been catching heck on here for stating the very same thing. HE IS MUCH BETTER AT LG.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I prefer Collins at RT but not for 10,000,000 a year. Connor was a left tackle in college, he has the feet to play right tackle and he'll be 10 lbs heavier next season. It's worth considering
Amen bro

Verdict

Reaction score
I think Connor wins LG next year. He should definitely compete with Looney for it though.

I think the problem with Connor at RT this early in his career is how theres a trend of teams putting their best pass rushers over the RT when he hasn't played on the right side.

Optimally, he could be very good at LG once he gets some big boy weight and can anchor, his feet are an asset on the 2nd level, and he'd be better used at LG than T for that scenario, if we have an OC that takes advantage of it anyway.

I think he's going to be pretty good. He's just turning 22 in May. He's got a high ceiling in between Tyron and Frederick.

I think that it's 50/50 that Connor Williams ends up being considered a bust when all is said and done.