Starting to think Safety X Woods will be replaced

Nav22

Reaction score
Woods is another scrub in our secondary who can’t make plays. Send a message and move on from bums like him. Not paying Byron Jones was a good start.

Woods’ dropped INT (possibe pick 6) at Philly was simply disgraceful.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Cowboys have already signed Clinton Dix who can play FS/SS but likely fits more at FS. I’ve read on Twitter that they were in on SS Vonn Bell before he went to the Bengals. Now reading they’re interested in SS Tony Jefferson and SS Morgan Burnett. If one of those guys are signed does Woods become our 3rd Safety/Special Teams? Trade bait?

sources?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Cowboys have already signed Clinton Dix who can play FS/SS but likely fits more at FS. I’ve read on Twitter that they were in on SS Vonn Bell before he went to the Bengals. Now reading they’re interested in SS Tony Jefferson and SS Morgan Burnett. If one of those guys are signed does Woods become our 3rd Safety/Special Teams? Trade bait?

First off because some little known sportswriter speculates something on twitter you and other gobble it up. Way to many times what we see on twitter that the Cowboys are interested in this player or that player later it comes out that either the player or his agent or the Cowboys say they never even spoke to the player or his agent. And then your "trade bait"? What team is going to give up anything NOW for a FS drafted in the 6th round in 2017 who played in but didn't start 16 games his rookie year and hasn't started a full 16 game season in any year. This is getting ridiculous starting threads on all these twitter speculations. The first thing I think of is the group of little old ladies and their sewing groups who sit and gossip about things.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
In view of what the Cowboys already have on the team at safety, I believe they're just looking for depth at that position.
There's surely nothing wrong with that. The secondary will be better off in the long run for doing so. Good idea.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Woods as the 3rd S and dimeback. He's can cover the slot and good in zone coverages. Nolan can choose to run a 3 safety nickel at times over 3 CB nickel, anyway, Woods can be a good matchup player.

Not excited by Jefferson or Burnett tho.
I like Xavier Woods. But let’s keep it in perspective what he has always been. A 6th round pick who will never be a top safety. He’s a good guy to have on a team for certain situations. But he’s not someone I would sign to a second contract.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
First off because some little known sportswriter speculates something on twitter you and other gobble it up. Way to many times what we see on twitter that the Cowboys are interested in this player or that player later it comes out that either the player or his agent or the Cowboys say they never even spoke to the player or his agent. And then your "trade bait"? What team is going to give up anything NOW for a FS drafted in the 6th round in 2017 who played in but didn't start 16 games his rookie year and hasn't started a full 16 game season in any year. This is getting ridiculous starting threads on all these twitter speculations. The first thing I think of is the group of little old ladies and their sewing groups who sit and gossip about things.
Since you took it to the “first off” level let’s roll. What’s getting “ridiculous” is folks getting their panties in a wad if somebody mentions an idea opposite of theirs. As stated in another post, I’ve already acknowledged that the source on Twitter may not be credible and simply stated what I read. Never said those guys were actually getting signed by the Cowboys and didn’t start a rumor. In fact, until a player is actually signed, all information from all reporters is speculation. This board is a lot of fun. If it makes you think of “little old ladies and their sewing groups” maybe you should quit reading or get off!
Now then, when it comes to Woods, the question mark at the end meant I was asking others opinion. Did you think he could be “trade bait”, not he IS trade bait. In your opinion he’s not and that actually makes sense. He more than likely would be cut if they signed someone else and maybe drafted a safety.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Since you took it to the “first off” level let’s roll. What’s getting “ridiculous” is folks getting their panties in a wad if somebody mentions an idea opposite of theirs. As stated in another post, I’ve already acknowledged that the source on Twitter may not be credible and simply stated what I read. Never said those guys were actually getting signed by the Cowboys and didn’t start a rumor. In fact, until a player is actually signed, all information from all reporters is speculation. This board is a lot of fun. If it makes you think of “little old ladies and their sewing groups” maybe you should quit reading or get off!
Now then, when it comes to Woods, the question mark at the end meant I was asking others opinion. Did you think he could be “trade bait”, not he IS trade bait. In your opinion he’s not and that actually makes sense. He more than likely would be cut if they signed someone else and maybe drafted a safety.

You start out by saying you already stated that the source on twitter may not be credible and you stated what you read AND then did exactly what these people want people to do and spread their speculation. I didn't say YOU said the players were getting signed, I directed that towards the people who tweeted those speculations. You then said what I said about Woods makes sense but then said the ? at the end was asking others opinion or in other words you want to start your own little sewing group to gossip about a tweet that you later state that may not be credible and a possible trade bait that you now agree isn't likely I'm all in favor of discussions on known facts but to start these discussions when they are based on just speculation is just doing what those doing the speculating want you to do by spreading their speculation or starting sewing groups to gossip.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Where have you read about Jefferson and Burnett?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Donovan Wilson I someone I can't wait to see. A full year in the system will do him wonders. He should get plenty of playing time in preseason.

I was hoping that someone would mention him. He deserved a chance last year and never got one. Now with his former coach here, and Woods in the last year of his contract, Wilson should get a fair chance at taking the SS job.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
You start out by saying you already stated that the source on twitter may not be credible and you stated what you read AND then did exactly what these people want people to do and spread their speculation. I didn't say YOU said the players were getting signed, I directed that towards the people who tweeted those speculations. You then said what I said about Woods makes sense but then said the ? at the end was asking others opinion or in other words you want to start your own little sewing group to gossip about a tweet that you later state that may not be credible and a possible trade bait that you now agree isn't likely I'm all in favor of discussions on known facts but to start these discussions when they are based on just speculation is just doing what those doing the speculating want you to do by spreading their speculation or starting sewing groups to gossip.
Sounds like you’ve been around too many “little old ladies” and “sewing groups”. Either way it happens, I hope the secondary gets better and the Cowboys have a great season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Just for you:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/do-...-official-sources-xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox.415847/

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Xavier Woods. But let’s keep it in perspective what he has always been. A 6th round pick who will never be a top safety. He’s a good guy to have on a team for certain situations. But he’s not someone I would sign to a second contract.
Depends on the terms of the 2nd contract. Ideally we would find an upgrade and he would be a backup - and he could backup both SS and FS. If he were willing to accept a commensurate contract, then why not?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on the terms of the 2nd contract. Ideally we would find an upgrade and he would be a backup - and he could backup both SS and FS. If he were willing to accept a commensurate contract, then why not?
I don’t necessarily disagree with you. But if XWoods is still basically a backup with little upside left, I would rather draft a younger player with more upside and less cost.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think attitude plays a part with Woods. I am of the opinion that he thinks he is far better than he is, or anything that he has actually shown in games that count. And that attitude is a big reason why it would not surprise me in the least to see him phased out and replaced.

And I think that same attitude is exactly why he wouldn't return on a commensurate contract or not. Both from his perspective and that of the team.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t necessarily disagree with you. But if XWoods is still basically a backup with little upside left, I would rather draft a younger player with more upside and less cost.
That would be ideal, but realistically you can't fill out a team with nothing but strong starters and players in their 1st year or two with upside. Plus, there is value to depth players you already know you can count and that have starting experience rather than having positions covered by guys that are still unknown. Ultimately it takes a mix of things to fill out a roster.

Of course, most positions require more than one backup, so what would be ideal is to have a veteran with starting experience AND a young guy with upside. Unfortunately ideal isn't always possible.

Last edited: