1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

State of the DT position

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by thunderpimp91, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

53,211 Messages
    80,403 Likes Received
    Note, I am not giving Moore a pass. I think his issues were often getting too cute at the wrong time and going away from things that were working/suited our players strengths.

I would not have cried if he got a head job somewhere.

fivetwos likes this.
  2. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

8,095 Messages
    7,154 Likes Received
    If Jordan Davis is there you have to take him but his combine numbers make him going earlier than expected in my mind.

jterrell and fivetwos like this.
  3. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

16,188 Messages
    21,055 Likes Received
    Gotcha.

Really comes down to the same thing. Jerry dumped Garrett etc but he still needs to have his potential hand picked puppet/genius who can learn on the job.

Moores lack of coordinator experience hurt us last year IMO when it was time for a counterpunch when it mattered.

4. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

16,188 Messages
    21,055 Likes Received
    Nightmare scenario....

Philly ends up with Green, Davis and J Johnson.

That's nowhere near far fetched.

Every one will be a dagger as we desperately could use all three.

Bowdown27 likes this.
  5. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

24,235 Messages
    22,487 Likes Received
    That’s the thing
    Every team wants a good run stuffing DT who can offer some pass rush ability. The reason everyone wants one is there aren’t that many of them
    At 24 I don’t see an impact DT being there though sometimes strange things happen

6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

32,075 Messages
    14,318 Likes Received
    He should go top 10.
    He's that rare.
    But the fail rate for top DTs has been high and teams get scared.

kskboys and Bowdown27 like this.
  7. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

7,929 Messages
    10,588 Likes Received

Jerry was in zero position for a project with a roster that needed instant help, not living off the hopes of potential with another ridiculous second round gamble. You might buy that garbage? It's not hindsight when the same exact thing was said on draft day!! The guy was in a wheelchair and this clown of a GM takes him at 34? That was year 22 for "GM" Jerry. Didn't really take much to see the stupidity unfold in real time. And the 16 draft was a classic. RB at 4. LB in a wheelchair at 34. And fans are being called out for hindsight? Too funny! While you actually act surprised none of it worked out.

kskboys likes this.
  8. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

8,095 Messages
    7,154 Likes Received
    Talk about nightmare is right

9. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

12,286 Messages
    10,674 Likes Received
    If there's DTs on McClay's draft board that are graded and warranted of taking them at their respective slot and rounds.
    i would want to believe McClay is not taking a DT , just for the sake of taking one.

10. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

12,286 Messages
    10,674 Likes Received
    Thanks for Sharing …

Although from what I am seeing from all that you’ve formatted here seems to be just hindsight.
    Most of the players you’re bringing up hindsight wise, I do not recall Cowboys Nation screaming how we passed up this guy, that guy , .. Cox, Wagner, Chris Jones, oh we should’ve moved up for Vita, etc.

Oh but now years down, let’s see if we can let our fingers do the walkin' thru NFL draft database and conjure up hind sights ?
    BTW, we had the chance to sign Malcolm Brown as an UFA from NE Pats, after they decided he wasn’t gonna be the elite interior force they thought when they drafted him in 1st round.

- I’m gonna continue to see people bringing up Chris Jones over Jaylon Smith, but at that time of the draft, many had no clue Chris Jones was gonna be as elite as he is.

- To this day I have no qualms about drafting ZKE 4th overall, by the he was expected to take the NFL by storm, and he did take the NFL by storm and he was an Adrien Peterson like force his first 2 years, ( i believe he's led the NFL in rushing twice) he's stayed outta the Goodell dog house since the suspensions, then Garrett regime decided to bulk him ..to beat him up, .and he flat was never the same again to this day.

11. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

8,677 Messages
    8,834 Likes Received
    Theres no doubt hindsight plays a factor here Because there are also many DT’s who didn’t work out that I avoided acknowledging. With either the busts or the hindsight picks, the point is still the same: you strike out on all of the attempts you don’t make.

Take a chance on any of the DTs and eventually you’ll get 1-2 of the guys on my list. Philadelphia had a few average or below average DT first round picks before we landed on Cox. But it was all worth it because we kept trying. Dallas does not want to

nyc-cowboy likes this.
  12. plasticman

plasticman Well-Known Member

6,834 Messages
    11,455 Likes Received
    I'm definitely not saying that Armstrong should be a starter but he does deserve to be part of a rotation, he's not just a warm body. He is improving with experience.

When you compare Armstrong's numbers last season to Gregory's, was there a massive difference?

Armstrong played in 13 games with 5 starts. Gregory played in 12 games with 11 starts. Gregory had 6 sacks, Armstrong had 5. Gregory returned an INT for a TD, Armstrong returned a fumble for a TD. Gregory with 17 QB hits, Armstrong with 12. Gregory has participated in 50 games for his career, Armstrong 49 games. Gregory will be 30, Armstrong 25. Gregory was a 2nd round pick in the 2015 draft, Armstrong a 4th round pick in the 2018 draft.

And yet, Gregory gets 70 million over five years and Armstrong gets 13 million over two? The Cowboys got lucky on this one, they were getting ready to make the deal with Gregory until the disagreement.

Hill may seem like a longshot but he seems to play solid whenever healthy. It would be great if the Cowboys were awarded better health next season to make up for injuries that stopped the expected DL starters from playing together until very late into the season. Last season there were times when the entire D-line were all rookies, very often three out of four.

13. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

35,982 Messages
    38,762 Likes Received
    Sad, because that's what shortened his career and made him less effective.

14. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

49,647 Messages
    33,460 Likes Received
    They don’t. Your talking about one big game against a team like the niners that ran on everyone including GB the next week.

15. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Well-Known Member

2,437 Messages
    1,034 Likes Received
    I wonder if the Cowboys is hoping that Brady Jarrett gets released or traded. There is no guaranteed money left for the Falcons to pay him and the cap hit is 16 mil.

16. Hadenough

Hadenough Well-Known Member

8,336 Messages
    9,753 Likes Received
    Will never forget watching Jones walk up and hug the commissioner on draft day and my thought was we passed up this monster to draft a hurt LB who may never be the same.

Big_D likes this.
  17. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

2,573 Messages
    2,466 Likes Received
    Lazy

18. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

2,573 Messages
    2,466 Likes Received
    If you look at the 25 Top Rated RUN DEFENDING DT's (which is the BIGGEST issue Dallas' DT's have), only Donald, Cam Heyward and Zach Sieler are listed under 300. And, Heyward looks like he weighs a tick over 300, so...I will continue to say that all the 3T on the team would perform even BETTER if they had a LEGIT 1T taking on consistent double-teams to fre them up for 1-on-1 battles on almost every play. That's the whole point for the creation of the 3T - exploiting favorable 1-on-1 matchups up and down the line.

kskboys likes this.
  19. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

7,929 Messages
    10,588 Likes Received
    Jerry once again outsmarts the rest of the league! lol

kskboys and Hadenough like this.
  20. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

19,200 Messages
    28,740 Likes Received
    Collins is getting 8.5 AAV but I doubt he's there for more than a year.

It's a 2 year deal, with 2 additional void years to drop the low prorated signing bonus.
    Cap hit of 3.8mil this year, 10 next year.
    Only 1mil guaranteed salary in 2023 so they could cut him next offseason and "save" 4.5mil on the cap hit.

I'm surprised the texans even bothered with void years with Collins. Going to take a 3mil dead cap in 2024 or 5.5 in 23 if they cut him early.