CFZ State of the Team

jwitten82

Reaction score
With the season opener just a few week away, there are so many unknowns with this team.

On offense, we're starting with a completely inexperienced wide receiver group until Gallup comes back. Tolbert, Brown, and Fehoko have a combined zero NFL touchdowns, Lamb being our most experienced.
Jerry has made it clear Zeke is the starter, another reason our offense will be held back.
Losing Tyron Smith was a huge blow, leaving Martin our only proven olineman. Can Steele repeat last year? How will Smith hold up his rookie year? Biadasz is a jag, center needs to be addressed next year.

Now lets address the defensive side.
We're all hoping Parsons can build off of last season, and reports out of camp were good. I think our pass rush can be really good if D.Law can put together a year like he had in his contract year, but I doubt that happens. D.Law, Fowler, Watkins, Hill, Gallimore, OSA, and Armstrong had a combined 17.5 sacks last season, with Armstrong having the most (5 sacks).
Linebackers: I think health is the main thing we have to worry about with LVE, Barr and Cox, if they manage to stay healthy, I think that group will be decent.
Safeties: another position that I think is a huge question mark, Can Kearse repeat last season? Who is the FS? Malik Hooker is a jag, it's another position that needs to be addressed next year.
I'm good with Diggs and Brown at corner, hopefully Joseph can take Browns spot by seasons end, he just has more upside, he looked good in the limited playing time last season.

Now special teams
We're good with Anger as our punter
I think Maher will cost us a few games this season, another position that needs to be addressed.
Hopefully Turbin can shore up our PR and KR position
What y'all say playbois?!?!?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Lol I knew someone would appreciate it
Boom! I just scored a Kardashian.
Not the big one.

And the state of the team is not looking that great at the moment.
I'm hopeful for the D, but it's not a proven D.
I'm hopeful for the O, but it's looking like it's degrading by the day.
The ST? Well... it has some pieces for success, but Bones will be Bones so it will always be something that could win games as often as it loses them.

10 wins. And I don't make predicts often, but I was never called a playboi before on the webs, lol.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Parsons, Anger, and Turbo are all we need.

Okay, but they could all be vital pieces to making this team better than it looks on paper. I really hope they find someone to fill in well for Tyron, because if that turns into an open door policy, the Supervisor is gonna be swamped in the backfield.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It may actually be a blessing that Tyron went down while they still have time to address it.

My guess is they are going to try to get through it in house, figuring Tyron will just step in in January and be awesome.

Meanwhile your 160m QB is running for his life for four months.

I mean really, there's unqualified people running this team and most of us here know it.

Corso

Reaction score
Parsons, Anger, and Turbo are all we need.

Okay, but they could all be vital pieces to making this team better than it looks on paper. I really hope they find someone to fill in well for Tyron, because if that turns into an open door policy, the Supervisor is gonna be swamped in the backfield.
I really think McCarthy and Moore need to get in the lab and start to design some really good game plans: mixing RPO's with Kellen's O and McCarthy's West Coast.
This is where the coaches' rubber hits the road.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
With the season opener just a few week away, there are so many unknowns with this team.

On offense, we're starting with a completely inexperienced wide receiver group until Gallup comes back. Tolbert, Brown, and Fehoko have a combined zero NFL touchdowns, Lamb being our most experienced.
Jerry has made it clear Zeke is the starter, another reason our offense will be held back.
Losing Tyron Smith was a huge blow, leaving Martin our only proven olineman. Can Steele repeat last year? How will Smith hold up his rookie year? Biadasz is a jag, center needs to be addressed next year.

We're all hoping Parsons can build off of last season, and reports out of camp were good. I think our pass rush can be really good if D.Law can put together a year like he had in his contract year, but I doubt that happens. D.Law, Fowler, Watkins, Hill, Gallimore, OSA, and Armstrong had a combined 17.5 sacks last season, with Armstrong having the most (5 sacks).
Linebackers: I think health is the main thing we have to worry about with LVE, Barr and Cox, if they manage to stay healthy, I think that group will be decent.
Safeties: another position that I think is a huge question mark, Can Kearse repeat last season? Who is the FS? Malik Hooker is a jag, it's another position that needs to be addressed next year.
I'm good with Diggs and Brown at corner, hopefully Joseph can take Browns spot by seasons end, he just has more upside, he looked good in the limited playing time last season.

Now special teams
I think Maher will cost us a few games this season, another position that needs to be addressed.
What little optimism I had walked out the door when I heard the Tyrone news.
I am so disappointed we signed no back up olinemen in free agency with Tyrone's injury history then we lose him for the regular season before the season even starts.
This front Office makes it hard to be a Cowboy's fan.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I really think McCarthy and Moore need to get in the lab and start to design some really good game plans: mixing RPO's with Kellen's O and McCarthy's West Coast.
This is where the coaches' rubber hits the road.
Sounds great Corso, just a lot of three step drop backs because that's all the time Dak will have to throw.

Corso

Reaction score
What little optimism I had walked out the door when I heard the Tyrone news.
I am so disappointed we signed no back up olinemen in free agency with Tyrone's injury history then we lose him for the regular season before the season even starts.
This front Office makes it hard to be a Cowboy's fan.
There's still some light at the end of the tunnel, however dim it may be.
Just be joyful for Football and don't take the season for a waste as a fan of the game.

We can be stressed to the max about how this team is run and still try to enjoy the journey to it's inevitable end because life without Cowboys football...

Sucks.

Corso

Reaction score
Sounds great Corso, just a lot of three step drop backs because that's all the time Dak will have to throw.
Roll-outs, P/A's, 2 TE sets, quick slants, lots of misdirection on obvious running plays...
Do everything you can to keep the D thinking and not just going for the obvious in front of them.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
There's still some light at the end of the tunnel, however dim it may be.
Just be joyful for Football and don't take the season for a waste as a fan of the game.

We can be stressed to the max about how this team is run and still try to enjoy the journey to it's inevitable end because life without Cowboys football...

Sucks.
Thanks for the encouraging words !
I do plan on watching the games, but my ceiling for this team is to repeat as Division champs.
That would be a successful season for me.

Corso

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouraging words !
I do plan on watching the game, but my ceiling for this team is to repeat as Division champs.
That would be a successful season for me.
I'm about there with you. And that's fine.
I don't attach my ego to things I can't control.
One wrong turn for a loved one and the Cowboys winning are a distant thought.
But the love for the game and the enjoyment/frustration of our Board family will continue.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm about there with you. And that's fine.
I don't attach my ego to things I can't control.
One wrong turn for a loved one and the Cowboys winning are a distant thought.
But the love for the game and the enjoyment/frustration of our Board family will continue.
Yes sir, this is entertainment.
When real life happens, that's the priority.

Shane612

Reaction score

Now special teams
I think your starting statement is a good clue of what this team will be this season. When you go into a season with questions and unknowns, it doesn't bode well for your team. However, the weak NFCE is winnable, if the cowboys can equalize the beagles.