CFZ Statistically, the NFC East is the best division in the NFL in 2022

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
For quite some time, we've heard how we play in the worst division. We hear that the NFC East is an absolute joke and all the rest of it. We even had a Packers fan during the offseason try to troll us and use this argument. Through 4 games, I shall prove to you all that the NFC East is currently the best division in the NFL.

NFC:
Let's begin with the NFC East. Currently, the Eagles lead the division with a 4-0 record. The Cowboys and Giants are tied for second with a 3-1 record with the Cowboys ahead due to head to head. The Commanders are in last place in the NFC East with a 1-3 record. Therefore, three of the four teams are above .500 through 4 games.

The vaunted NFC West currently has the Rams at 2-1 in first place (scheduled to play tonight), the Cardinals at 2-2 in second, the Seahawks tied for second at 2-2, and the 49ers in last place with a 1-2 record (scheduled to play tonight). Therefore, in the vaunted NFC West, there is only one team above .500 through 4 games.

In the NFC North, the Vikings and Packers are tied for 1st with a 3-1 record with the Vikings ahead on head to head. The Bears are in second with a 2-2 record, and the Lions round out that division with a 1-3 record. Only two teams in that division have a record above .500 through 4 games.

Finally, we must examine the NFC South. The Buccaneers and Falcons are tied for first with a 2-2 record. The Panthers and Saints are tied for the bottom spot at 1-3.

AFC:

In the AFC East, the Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins are tied for first place with a 3-1 record with Miami ahead on head to head. The Jets are in third place with a 2-2 record, and the Patriots are in last place with a 1-3 record. The AFC East, through 4 games, has two teams above .500.

AFC West: the Chiefs are in first place with a 3-1 record. The Chargers and Broncos are tied for second with a 2-2 record, and the Raiders round out the division with a 1-3 record. The AFC West only has one team above .500 through 4 days.

AFC North: The Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens, and Cincinnati Bengals are tied for first with a 2-2 record. The Pittsburgh Steelers have a 1-3 record in 4th place. There are no teams above .500 record in the AFC North through 4 games.

AFC South: the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Tennessee Titans are tied for first with a 2-2 record. The Colts are in third place with a 1-2-1 record, and the Texans are in last place with an 0-3-1 record. There are no teams in this division with a record above .500 through 4 games.

Now, some of you may say, "Well, Rusty, go back to grazing because it's mostly division wins." Now, let me prove you wrong here as well:

The Cowboys defeated the Bengals (AFC Champion Bengals) in week 2 while the Eagles have defeated Detroit, Minnesota, and Jacksonville outside the division. The Giants outside of the division have defeated the Titans (1st seed last year), Carolina, and Chicago. Washington defeated Jacksonville. Therefore, most of the victories from the NFC East are outside of the division as the Cowboys have won once, the Eagles and Giants have won 3, and Washington has defeated 2 teams outside the division. That's 6 wins out of 11 total victories. Thus, only 5 wins were interdivision. Therefore, your argument about the division wins is invalid.

If you are what your record says that you are, then it's logical to conclude that the NFC East is the best division in the NFL in 2022. Will it stay this way? Only time will tell. However, through September and the first Sunday of October, we have the best division, and most of the wins in the division are outside of the NFC East.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I could also make the argument that, since 2005, that were also the best division in terms of parity, but that's for a later thread. This one is long as it is.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not sure I agree as it is too early in the season, but I did want to point out that 3 of the 5 losses in the division were in divisional games, which means there had to be 3 losses (and/or ties of course).

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For quite some time, we've heard how we play in the worst division. We hear that the NFC East is an absolute joke and all the rest of it. We even had a Packers fan during the offseason try to troll us and use this argument. Through 4 games, I shall prove to you all that the NFC East is currently the best division in the NFL.

NFC:
Let's begin with the NFC East. Currently, the Eagles lead the division with a 4-0 record. The Cowboys and Giants are tied for second with a 3-1 record with the Cowboys ahead due to head to head. The Commanders are in last place in the NFC East with a 1-3 record. Therefore, three of the four teams are above .500 through 4 games.

The vaunted NFC West currently has the Rams at 2-1 in first place (scheduled to play tonight), the Cardinals at 2-2 in second, the Seahawks tied for second at 2-2, and the 49ers in last place with a 1-2 record (scheduled to play tonight). Therefore, in the vaunted NFC West, there is only one team above .500 through 4 games.

In the NFC North, the Vikings and Packers are tied for 1st with a 3-1 record with the Vikings ahead on head to head. The Bears are in second with a 2-2 record, and the Lions round out that division with a 1-3 record. Only two teams in that division have a record above .500 through 4 games.

Finally, we must examine the NFC South. The Buccaneers and Falcons are tied for first with a 2-2 record. The Panthers and Saints are tied for the bottom spot at 1-3.

AFC:

In the AFC East, the Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins are tied for first place with a 3-1 record with Miami ahead on head to head. The Jets are in third place with a 2-2 record, and the Patriots are in last place with a 1-3 record. The AFC East, through 4 games, has two teams above .500.

AFC West: the Chiefs are in first place with a 3-1 record. The Chargers and Broncos are tied for second with a 2-2 record, and the Raiders round out the division with a 1-3 record. The AFC West only has one team above .500 through 4 days.

AFC North: The Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens, and Cincinnati Bengals are tied for first with a 2-2 record. The Pittsburgh Steelers have a 1-3 record in 4th place. There are no teams above .500 record in the AFC North through 4 games.

AFC South: the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Tennessee Titans are tied for first with a 2-2 record. The Colts are in third place with a 1-2-1 record, and the Texans are in last place with an 0-3-1 record. There are no teams in this division with a record above .500 through 4 games.

Now, some of you may say, "Well, Rusty, go back to grazing because it's mostly division wins." Now, let me prove you wrong here as well:

The Cowboys defeated the Bengals (AFC Champion Bengals) in week 2 while the Eagles have defeated Detroit, Minnesota, and Jacksonville outside the division. The Giants outside of the division have defeated the Titans (1st seed last year), Carolina, and Chicago. Washington defeated Jacksonville. Therefore, most of the victories from the NFC East are outside of the division as the Cowboys have won once, the Eagles and Giants have won 3, and Washington has defeated 2 teams outside the division. That's 6 wins out of 11 total victories. Thus, only 5 wins were interdivision. Therefore, your argument about the division wins is invalid.

If you are what your record says that you are, then it's logical to conclude that the NFC East is the best division in the NFL in 2022. Will it stay this way? Only time will tell. However, through September and the first Sunday of October, we have the nest division, and most of the wins in the division are outside of the NFC East.

The NFC East has certainly improved this year. Philly and Dallas are both good teams and as much as it pains me to say this Philly may be the class of the NFL right now. NY has shown a little bit of improvement but is likely to crater and Washington is quite hopeless. I imagine that our bottom feeders (NY and WASH) will begin to show their true colors and get the losing started soon.

By season's end the NFC East will probably finish somewhere around middle of the pack when it comes to overall strength.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The NFC East has certainly improved this year. Philly and Dallas are both good teams and as much as it pains me to say this Philly may be the class of the NFL right now. NY has shown a little bit of improvement but is likely to crater and Washington is quite hopeless. I imagine that our bottom feeders (NY and WASH) will begin to show their true colors and get the losing started soon.

By season's end the NFC East will probably finish somewhere around middle of the pack when it comes to overall strength.

True, and it'll probably end somewhere in that way, but it's fascinating how, at least early on, this division is far from Least. If anything, it's currently trending as the best division. I expect the West to pick up as the season goes on. But I expect that we should finish as at least the second best in the NFC again if not the best.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure after last season's records everybody in our division not being the cowboys have an easy schedule

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm sure after last season's records everybody in our division not being the cowboys have an easy schedule

That may be, but I just think it's interesting to note. Plus, nobody gets the scrutiny that our division gets and that our team gets. I find it interesting how we frequently hear that if the Cowboys do something well, it's because the other team was terrible. But, if another team in our division beats the same team, they were very good. Same with the division general. If our division gets two teams in the playoffs, as it did last year, that's not deemed impressive. But, if another division does it, then it's.used to bludgeon our division.

Jipper

Reaction score

the good thing is more times than not the "class" of the nfl in September is not the same as in December...hopefully thats the case here with Philly!

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That may be, but I just think it's interesting to note. Plus, nobody gets the scrutiny that our division gets and that our team gets. I find it interesting how we frequently hear that if the Cowboys do something well, it's because the other team was terrible. But, if another team in our division beats the same team, they were very good. Same with the division general. If our division gets two teams in the playoffs, as it did last year, that's not deemed impressive. But, if another division does it, then it's.used to bludgeon our division.
Yeah well you know how it goes anything the cowboys do is garbage. And if we defeat the NFC East it's garbage. Yet they have the eagles pegged for the Super Bowl already.
Of course I wanna beat the rams but I'm just dying to destroy the eagles.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah well you know how it goes anything the cowboys do is garbage. And if we defeat the NFC East it's garbage. Yet they have the eagles pegged for the Super Bowl already.
Of course I wanna beat the rams but I'm just dying to destroy the eagles.

Oh, of course, and, even if we some how beat the Rams with Rush, a Backup, starting, they'll come up with some excuse to explain why it was not impressive. I'd also like for us to beat Philly, and I've got a bet with someone involving our series this year with Philly on the line. That being said, I think it's impressive, when you step back and look at this past month of play, and realise just how well the NFC East, as a whole, is doing, and just how well we are playing atm. I know Mike catches a lot of flack, but he's doing an incredible job with the way we're winning without our star QB. We're not just beating run of the mill teams. With the exception of Washington, we are beating very solid teams that we were not expected to win excluding yesterday's game. That's incredible!