Steelers new starting QB: Mitchell Trubisky

Flamma

Reaction score
We had the number one offense last season. The previous season we had the number one offense until Dak got injured. Dak set A franchise record with 37 TD passes and he had a career high 68.1 completion percentage. There’s a knucklehead claiming he’s not even an average QB. I understand fans being frustrated but that’s just being stupid. There’s a couple of fans spinning the Cowboys would be a better team with Mayfield or Trubisky. Can’t believe anyone could be that ridiculous.

I certainly don't think we'd have a better team with those QBs. But stop with the #1 offense. We're beating backups and teams devastated by Covid by 40 points. Get shut down against any decent team. This has been a pattern dating back to 2019. The offense isn't that good.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I certainly don't think we'd have a better team with those QBs. But stop with the #1 offense. We're beating backups and teams devastated by Covid by 40 points. Get shut down against any decent team. This has been a pattern dating back to 2019. The offense isn't that good.

Though there's something to be said for beating teams you're "supposed" to beat, and by big margins.

I've seen this team lose to teams they should dominate more than a few times before, even going back to the Landry days.

Losing to "backups and teams devastated by Covid" would be even worse. While I didn't glory in those wins, nice to watch a game that I'm not biting my nails in the 4th quarter....

Flamma

Reaction score
Though there's something to be said for beating teams you're "supposed" to beat, and by big margins.

I've seen this team lose to teams they should dominate more than a few times before, even going back to the Landry days.

Losing to "backups and teams devastated by Covid" would be even worse. While I didn't glory in those wins, nice to watch a game that I'm not biting my nails in the 4th quarter....

I agree. Back in 2019 I wasn't part of the, we only beat bad teams crowd. But this is a pattern that's been going on for 3 straight years.

The only game last year that the Cowboys looked like a #1 offense against a decent team was against the Patriots. We either get totally shut down, or get off to slow starts and need to catch up. This dates back to 2019. It's aggravating me.

It reminds me of my lazy self. I'm fine when given an easy job. But give me a job that requires effort, I'm putting that off.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Doesn’t matter who we were beating we had the #1 offense in 2020 when he was in the lineup and we had the number offense last season with him. When he was injured in 2020 our offensive production plummeted. Last season he put up over 400 yards passing on the Bucs defense. If you don’t like him fine just giving you the facts.

Flamma

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter who we were beating we had the #1 offense in 2020 when he was in the lineup and we had the number offense last season with him. When he was injured in 2020 offensive production plummeted. Last season he put up over 400 yards passing on the Bucs defense. If you don’t like him fine just giving you the facts.

C'mon with the Bucs defense. That was a week 1 game. Anyone can win, and anything can happen in week 1. It's like that every year. Lately it has been true for the first couple of weeks. It's been like that since forever.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
C'mon with the Bucs defense. That was a week 1 game. Anyone can win, and anything can happen in week 1. It's like that every year. Lately it has been true for the first couple of weeks. It's been like that since forever.

Stop with the excuses if you want to put it all on Dak go ahead. The biggest problem with the offense is the OL. We’ve just moved on from two starting players on the OL. That makes it pretty obvious where the biggest problem is. Dak is the least of our problems and our problems are growing by the day.

Flamma

Reaction score
Stop with the excuses if you want to put it all on Dak go ahead. The biggest problem with the offense is the OL. We’ve just moved on from two starting players on the OL. That makes it pretty obvious where the biggest problem is. Dak is the least of our problems and our problems are growing by the day.

Most of the time you sound sensible. But some of the things you grasp at boggles my mind. You call pretty much what every football fan sees year in and year out, an excuse. I'm guessing you're a casual fan. No biggy.

Yeah I know the OL is a problem. I don't care what the precise problem is, just that our offense is not as good as advertised.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Most of the time you sound sensible. But some of the things you grasp at boggles my mind. You call pretty much what every football fan sees year in and year out, an excuse. I'm guessing you're a casual fan. No biggy.

Yeah I know the OL is a problem. I don't care what the precise problem is, just that our offense is not as good as advertised.

Anyone who thinks Baker Mayfield or Mitch Trubisky would have more success than Dak with the Cowboys isn’t being sensible. There’s a reason Dak got paid and there’s a reason these other QBs aren’t getting paid and their teams have either already moved on from them or are looking to move on from them. It’s obvious you’re one of those who doesn’t think Dak is the guy. If you want to pin most of what happened last season on him go ahead. You know where I stand and I know where you stand and there’s really no point discussing this any further.

Flamma

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Baker Mayfield or Mitch Trubisky would have more success than Dak with the Cowboys isn’t being sensible. There’s a reason Dak got paid and there’s a reason these other QBs aren’t getting paid and their teams have either already moved on from them or are looking to move on from them. It’s obvious you’re one of those who doesn’t think Dak is the guy. If you want to pin most of what happened last season on him go ahead. You know where I stand and I know where you stand and there’s really no point discussing this any further.

I agree with you for the most part. No way do I think Mitch or Baker should be paid. But I don't think Dak should have been paid either. He's not good enough IMO. The Cowboys front office doesn't do their job in putting a team around Dak that can win. So why are you paying him all of this money? Dak can win if you're all in. Hell, I think Baker can win if you stack the deck in his favor.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree with you for the most part. No way do I think Mitch or Baker should be paid. But I don't think Dak should have been paid either. He's not good enough IMO. The Cowboys front office doesn't do their job in putting a team around Dak that can win. So why are you paying him all of this money? Dak can win if you're all in. Hell, I think Baker can win if you stack the deck in his favor.

He led us to the playoffs with a 13-3 record in 2016 with a team that went 4-12 the year before. He brought us back from a big deficit against Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs only to have our defense choke in the end. He’s led us to three NFC East titles in a playoff win over Russell Wilson. He outplayed Jared Goff in the playoffs in 2018 but our defense got destroyed. If you don’t pay him the Cowboys are picking in the top 15 every year with QBs that are are probably worse than Baker Mayfield and Mitch Trubisky. Let’s see how sensible you are you’re saying you wouldn’t have paid Dak so what would you have done at QB? If you don’t pay Dak you end up like Washington who didn’t want to pay Cousins. They’ve wasted a first round pick on Dwayne Haskins and now they’ve wasted three picks and Carson Wentz who’s not as good as the QB they allowed to walk.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If you don’t pay Dak you end up like Washington who didn’t want to pay Cousins. They’ve wasted a first round pick on Dwayne Haskins and now they’ve wasted three picks and Carson Wentz who’s not as good as the QB they allowed to walk.

That's the thing. Some act like if you have a very high draft pick it's automatic you get the next Aikman. But for that to happen you not only have to not hit on one of the many highly ranked, highly college performing quarterbacks that aren't major busts, but you also have to be able to have that very high draft pick, which means going 1-16 or 2-15 or such.
And if that happens the same fans who want the high pick are screaming about how bad Jerry and the coaches are and how this team "sucks".

Not only that, but how good would Aikman have been without Norv Turner? From wiki: In 1991 the offense jumped to 9th in total yds with 318.8/gm and scoring 21.4/gm, and 4th in 1992 (350.4 yds/gm, 25.6 pts/gm) and 4th in 1993 (350.9 yds/gm, 23.5 pts/gm). Emmitt Smith led the NFL in rushing all 3 years under Norv Turner, and was the MVP of Super Bowl XXVIII.

Folks rip Dak up one side and down the other, but conveniently forget he had Garrett and Wade Wilson as coaches. Roaring successes those guys other than Dallas, right?

Picking a quarterback no. 1 in the draft is no guarantee of success, better odds than picking in the later rounds, sure, but not a slam dunk....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's the thing. Some act like if you have a very high draft pick it's automatic you get the next Aikman.

There’s many on this board who seem to think all you do is draft a QB in the first round and problem solved. There’s fans on this board who argue that it’s not that hard to find a QB these days. It’s like they just started following the NFL and the draft. Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold were drafted ahead of Josh Allen. Mitch Trubisky was drafted ahead of Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson but some are convinced drafting a QB high isn’t that big of a gamble.

Flamma

Reaction score
He led us to the playoffs with a 13-3 record in 2016 with a team that went 4-12 the year before. He brought us back from a big deficit against Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs only to have our defense choke in the end. He’s led us to three NFC East titles in a playoff win over Russell Wilson. He outplayed Jared Goff in the playoffs in 2018 but our defense got destroyed. If you don’t pay him the Cowboys are picking in the top 15 every year with QBs that are are probably worse than Baker Mayfield and Mitch Trubisky. Let’s see how sensible you are you’re saying you wouldn’t have paid Dak so what would you have done at QB? If you don’t pay Dak you end up like Washington who didn’t want to pay Cousins. They’ve wasted a first round pick on Dwayne Haskins and now they’ve wasted three picks and Carson Wentz who’s not as good as the QB they allowed to walk.

I don't deny what you're saying. But the goal isn't to beat Russell Wilson in the playoffs. This is just my opinion, but I don't pay big money unless the QB is borderline elite. I'd draft his replacement. I'd rather Dallas go 2-15 than 9-8 or 10-7. Those are wasted years followed by a late draft pick. A Cousins or Dak led team is not going to a SB unless they have a stacked team, like the Rams or better. Neither of those QBs get to the SB with the Bengals last year.

BTW, Zeke was the reason Dallas was 13-3 in 2016. Not Dak.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't deny what you're saying. But the goal isn't to beat Russell Wilson in the playoffs. This is just my opinion, but I don't pay big money unless the QB is borderline elite. I'd draft his replacement. I'd rather Dallas go 2-15 than 9-8 or 10-7. Those are wasted years followed by a late draft pick. A Cousins or Dak led team is not going to a SB unless they have a stacked team, like the Rams or better. Neither of those QBs get to the SB with the Bengals last year.

BTW, Zeke was the reason Dallas was 13-3 in 2016. Not Dak.

The goal is to win the Super Bowl and the Cowboys have only had 2 QBs win a Super Bowl. Zeke was not the entire reason we went 13-3 in 2016. Dak may not have put up huge numbers but he was very efficient and didn’t make many mistakes. He made some critical throws against Green Bay at Lambeau and on the road against Pittsburgh. He had one of the best rookie seasons of any QB. There’s no way we were going to win 13 games pounding the football every week with a an inefficient QB and a porous defense. Our defense got us beat in the playoffs that season. As for drafting Dak’s replacement do you think that’s easy? lol

Look around the league and see how many QBs go bust. With your plan we would end up like Washington. Look at the struggles the Jets have had trying to find a QB. They gave up the number two overall pick for a QB that had more INTs his rookie season than Sam Darnold who cost them the number three overall pick in 2017. They were another team that passed on Josh Allen. By the way Dak is better than Cousins. Go compare their winning percentage, Cousins is a 500 QB. Your plan would leave the Cowboys picking in the top 10-15 year after year always looking for a QB.

Flamma

Reaction score
The goal is to win the Super Bowl and the Cowboys have only had 2 QBs win a Super Bowl. Zeke was not the entire reason we went 13-3 in 2016. Dak may not have put up huge numbers but he was very efficient and didn’t make many mistakes. He made some critical throws against Green Bay at Lambeau and on the road against Pittsburgh. He had one of the best rookie seasons of any QB. There’s no way we were going to win 13 games pounding the football every week with a an inefficient QB and a porous defense. Our defense got us beat in the playoffs that season. As for drafting Dak’s replacement do you think that’s easy? lol

Look around the league and see how many QBs go bust. With your plan we would end up like Washington. Look at the struggles the Jets have had trying to find a QB. They gave up the number two overall pick for a QB that had more INTs his rookie season than Sam Darnold who cost them the number three overall pick in 2017. They were another team that passed on Josh Allen. By the way Dak is better than Cousins. Go compare their winning percentage, Cousins is a 500 QB. Your plan would leave the Cowboys picking in the top 10-15 year after year always looking for a QB.

I agree. It's not easy to find a QB. You kind of have to get lucky. Houston doesn't get all of that if it was easy. But teams do get lucky. And I don't know what Washington's problem is. Drafting Haskins was a bad idea a week before they did it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree. It's not easy to find a QB. You kind of have to get lucky. Houston doesn't get all of that if it was easy. But teams do get lucky. And I don't know what Washington's problem is. Drafting Haskins was a bad idea a week before they did it.

You do have to get lucky which is why if you have a good productive QB you stay with them even if you have to pay big. Dwayne Haskins was one of the top QBs when he came out and all the draft experts thought he was a good selection by Washington but drafting a QB is a crapshoot. Had they kept Cousins they could’ve used that pick to build around him. Now they’ve just burned three draft picks on Carson Wentz which was a stupid move. He’s not the answer and they’re going to continue burning draft picks to try and find a QB. Cleveland has been searching for a great QB since Bernie Kosar and they gave up the farm and then some to land Watson. Had they drafted Josh Allen instead of Mayfield they could’ve saved themselves all those picks but again drafting a QB is a crapshoot.

Flamma

Reaction score
You do have to get lucky which is why if you have a good productive QB you stay with them even if you have to pay big. Dwayne Haskins was one of the top QBs when he came out and all the draft experts thought he was a good selection by Washington but drafting a QB is a crapshoot. Had they kept Cousins they could’ve used that pick to build around him. Now they’ve just burned three draft picks on Carson Wentz which was a stupid move. He’s not the answer and they’re going to continue burning draft picks to try and find a QB. Cleveland has been searching for a great QB since Bernie Kosar and they gave up the farm and then some to land Watson. Had they drafted Josh Allen instead of Mayfield they could’ve saved themselves all those picks but again drafting a QB is a crapshoot.

Same with Miami if they drafted Herbert instead of Tua. Not every team had Tua ahead of Herbert. I heard their X coach fought for Herbert over Tua. It's definitely a crap shoot if you're looking to land a great QB. In many drafts there simply aren't any.

Sometimes you can be pretty confident with one. The last draft class the two QBs I wouldn't draft was Fields and Lance. The rest was just pot luck outside of Lawrence.

The problem today is these QB's won't take money suited to their talent level, putting their team at a disadvantage. They only do so when they have no choice, like when they get released. Similar to Winston.

All that aside, Dak has played 6 years for the Cowboys, and 5 of those years have been cap friendly. The first 4 years just about no cap hit at all. This Cowboys front office will not change their SOP. They're not supporting this quarterback. They paid him so we can stay relevant, not win a championship. There are teams that want to win, and one of them will.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Same with Miami if they drafted Herbert instead of Tua. Not every team had Tua ahead of Herbert. I heard their X coach fought for Herbert over Tua. It's definitely a crap shoot if you're looking to land a great QB. In many drafts there simply aren't any.

Sometimes you can be pretty confident with one. The last draft class the two QBs I wouldn't draft was Fields and Lance. The rest was just pot luck outside of Lawrence.

The problem today is these QB's won't take money suited to their talent level, putting their team at a disadvantage. They only do so when they have no choice, like when they get released. Similar to Winston.

All that aside, Dak has played 6 years for the Cowboys, and 5 of those years have been cap friendly. The first 4 years just about no cap hit at all. This Cowboys front office will not change their SOP. They're not supporting this quarterback. They paid him so we can stay relevant, not win a championship. There are teams that want to win, and one of them will.

Most had Tua rated ahead of Herbert. He was being compared to Russell Wilson. All he does is dink and dunk. Miami showed some interest in Watson and appear to be losing interest in Tua. They would’ve been better off keeping Ryan Tannehill who was productive. While he’s been leading Tennessee to the playoffs Miami has been sitting home. As for Washington they’ve burned 6 first round draft picks since 1994 on QBs including two in the top 5. Carson Wentz will end up being no more than a stopgap. They gave us three nice draft picks for a QB that went bust for two other teams. They’ll be looking for another QB after the 2023 season. A QB doesn’t have to be elite to make elite money these days. All QBs are overpaid that’s just how it is. They’re very coveted and if you don’t want to pay a good one someone else will.

Flamma

Reaction score
Most had Tua rated ahead of Herbert. He was being compared to Russell Wilson. All he does is dink and dunk. Miami showed some interest in Watson and appear to be losing interest in Tua. They would’ve been better off keeping Ryan Tannehill who was productive. While he’s been leading Tennessee to the playoffs Miami has been sitting home. As for Washington they’ve burned 6 first round draft picks since 1994 on QBs including two in the top 5. Carson Wentz will end up being no more than a stopgap. They gave us three nice draft picks for a QB that went bust for two other teams. They’ll be looking for another QB after the 2023 season. A QB doesn’t have to be elite to make elite money these days. All QBs are overpaid that’s just how it is. They’re very coveted and if you don’t want to pay a good one someone else will.

I hear you, that does seem to be the case. Your argument I highlighted cannot be denied, so I won't do it. But that was never really my argument. I just think your chances of getting to a SB, let alone winning it, are very slim with just a good QB. The entire NFL system now favors the better QBs. You're not only taking up the same amount of cap space as better QBs than you, but there's elite QBs on rookie deals to compete with. Then you have our ownership that won't try to stack the deck.

The Dolphins took their shot and missed with Tua. I never liked Tua. But then again, I liked the QB the Jets drafted. I sometimes question the ability of these NFL teams to evaluate talent at the QB position. They should be better than I am as there are people that are dedicated to doing this. But apparently not much better. I just can't understand why teams do what they do sometimes. Why would a team use all of that draft capital to move up for Trey Lance? Why would a team draft Tim Tebow in the 1st? Probably for the same reason a team will draft Malik Willis in the 1st. The dudes are not NFL ready QBs. They are first read/run QBs. Good in college, garbage in the NFL.