Stefon Diggs signs new deal

plasticman

Reaction score
I would think that the strategy for drafting in the 1st round is a player you eventually want to sign to a second contract and keep for more than 4 or 5 years.

Therefore, wouldn't these contracts tend to devalue elite WR's in the draft? From a future cap point of view, wouldn't it be better to draft WR's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds?

jnday

Reaction score
guys you take the WR in round 1. We don't need to have 1st round picks all over our line, that's a fail on the coaches not being able to survive with two all-pro's. With the market for WR, you take BPA and that may even come to taking Devin Lloyd.

Broaddus mentioned something very valuable yesterday...

- do you trust taking a 1st rd WR with this QB and OC, they can't seem to USE them effectively
- do you trust taking a 1st rd G with this Oline Coach who failed with McGovern, who has the same grades as these current guards at 1:2:1
- or do you trust taking the best LB/DT knowing DQ will coach him to be the most effective player possible
Yes, history has shown that Dallas can not evaluate or develop olinemen, so taking linemen in the first round is the only way that they can get quality linemen.

Syron

Reaction score
everyone of these mega WR deals this offseason will be a disaster for each of those teams, jmo, none will get that type of production from those contracts.
Hill might fall off, but Adams is going to have a monster year. Carr is a good qb and just found his new favorite weapon. Oakland's offense might just have landed the number 1 WR to go with (in my opinion) the number 1 TE. Jacobs is a good RB as well.

Diggs had a off year, so you might be right, but this is just the new going rate for WRs unfortunately. Wait until it's time to extend CeeDee.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AND they sold our fanbase that if your QB is getting big money, you can't sign other players. Our "fans" can't use that excuse any more because we're seeing teams sign multiple players to big deals and thrive.

Literally, not a single person has ever said that.

Does it reduce your ability to sign other big names, especially multiple big names? Yep. But nobody has said"you can't sign other players".

The argument with Dak is they paying him at least double what he's worth.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
guys you take the WR in round 1. We don't need to have 1st round picks all over our line, that's a fail on the coaches not being able to survive with two all-pro's. With the market for WR, you take BPA and that may even come to taking Devin Lloyd.

Broaddus mentioned something very valuable yesterday...

- do you trust taking a 1st rd WR with this QB and OC, they can't seem to USE them effectively
- do you trust taking a 1st rd G with this Oline Coach who failed with McGovern, who has the same grades as these current guards at 1:2:1
- or do you trust taking the best LB/DT knowing DQ will coach him to be the most effective player possible

If they don't do a good job, they won't be the coaches next season anyway so I wouldn't factor them in much.

ghst187

Reaction score
We now have a need at WR, but unless Dak plays much much better and KM utilizes his WRs better, the OL is a vastly bigger need.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Yes, history has shown that Dallas can not evaluate or develop olinemen, so taking linemen in the first round is the only way that they can get quality linemen.
I was thinking about this as well, when is the last time we've had a quality o-line help outside of a first round pick? Travis, Tyron and Zack fit that bill but then you look at McGovern, Williams, Biadasz and even La'el - not so great.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
I'm really concerned about what Lamb is going to ask for when he becomes a free agent.
Lamb can't even carry Stefon's jock strap right now so I wouldn't be worried until he settles as a real #1. At this point he is still a disappointment for where he was taken and the grade on him, Jamar and Jefferson have been leaps and bounds better. This year I hope he makes that step otherwise drafting WR in rd.1 is a bigger need than most of you think

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
If they don't do a good job, they won't be the coaches next season anyway so I wouldn't factor them in much.
agree but then you have a wasted season with a new regime who might not even like the pick. If the joneses plan is to cut bait with Mccarthy does it not make sense to draft defense where the coach has a leash?

Aven8

Reaction score
You can do this kind of stuff when you’re not paying every Olineman big money and your RB.

lwehlers

Reaction score
we need either a defensive end or a offensive lineman. my vote would be a offensive lineman so our 40 million qb and 15 million rb can try to earn there money.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
we need either a defensive end or a offensive lineman. my vote would be a offensive lineman so our 40 million qb and 15 million rb can try to earn there money.
Agreed.
Honestly, the lines on both sides of the ball are the most synergistic to team success.
They truly are and should be looked upon as such.

Flamma

Reaction score
There is no way I'd go WR in the first round. That would be a luxury pick for the Cowboys. Far bigger needs.

No kidding. We have a left Tackle that can't play a full season and I half expect him to retire in a year or two. Our right tackle is an undrafted free agent. And we're talking about putting the cart before the horse by drafting a WR in the 1st.

Flamma

Reaction score
AND they sold our fanbase that if your QB is getting big money, you can't sign other players. Our "fans" can't use that excuse any more because we're seeing teams sign multiple players to big deals and thrive.

Who is doing this? What are your examples? Green Bay? Kansas City? Buffalo? Allen's extension doesn't start until 2023. So who are we talking about? The Rams? Matt Stafford's extension doesn't start until 2023. His cap hit is like 13 million.