Stephen A: Jason Garrett's Gone in 2020. Welcome in Sean Payton or Lincoln Riley

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
All I can say is I hope he is wrong. I would see the Cowboys advance into the NFC Championship game as well as making it to the SB.
Sorry, but he is right. This team will not make it to conference playoff game, just poorly coached and not motivated beyond individual talent.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think the Lincoln Riley hype is so overblown, I wouldn’t want to take a chance on him. On the other hand, outside of Payton I’m not sure any well established coach would want to come here and deal with Jerry’s shenanigans. Payton may not either unless he lays down the law, he’s as much as a control freak as Jerry but much more qualified to make those decisions.

I am curious why the Riley hype is overblown to you.

Sure he's been a HC for only two years but you probably couldn't ask for a better two year run short of winning a CFP game. But any coach that takes a team to two straight CFB berths in two years, is probably worth some of the hype.

GMO415

Reaction score

Sure he's been a HC for only two years but you probably couldn't ask for a better two year run short of winning a CFP game. But any coach that takes a team to two straight CFB berths in two years, is probably worth some of the hype.
Imagine what he could do for Dak. Who ever comes in here must accept Dak.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no source..lol

Clarence Hill was the source, which I provided. If you're actually looking for a direct quote from Bridgewater saying this? You're being willfully naive. Again, it's up to you if you choose to be that way. I can't make you understand something you choose not to, and I'm not inclined to waste the effort.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that will be the first hurdle.

whenver JG does goes, the new coach will have to accept Dak. Dak is here long term.

Actually, thats one of the big reasons why I hope they don't rush into a multi-year extension. It runs directly counter to having a head coach in a make or break season.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Actually, thats one of the big reasons why I hope they don't rush into a multi-year extension. It runs directly counter to having a head coach in a make or break season.
I think you will have your answer by July.

aria

Reaction score

Correct, one is he’s only been a coach for two years and that is one of the biggest concerns.

2) yeah, he put up a lot of points with in a conference with the weakest defenses and had a Heisman contender, who may or may not work in the NFL, leading the way

3) his offense was very specific to Murray and the players/plays were built around his very specific skill set. Either we would have to find a new QB or he would have to change his plays to cater to Dak which I think would look much different than what he was doing with Murray.

4) I’m skeptical of any college coach with some flashy offense, see the Chip Kelly experiment. I’d like to see him as an OC in the NFL for a few years before being promoted to HC

5) to reitierate #3, he will probably continue to have success in the Big 12 because he can recruit players that fit his style and the Big 12 defenses suck. The NFL is a different ball game, it’s not like he can go out and just recruit Murray or another QB that fits his style. He will have to change his game plan and that may or may not translate to success. I’m not saying he wouldn’t be an upgrade but I’m not convinced he’s a shoe in either, he could be a disaster in the NFL and with zero NFL experience, I’m very skeptical.

aria

Reaction score
I'm not sure Dak the type of QB that Riley would take.
Exactly, see my post above. It wouldn’t be as easy as a transition as people think even if he had a QB that he wanted and was specific to his offensive schemes, let alone with Dak. Not bashing Dak at all, he could have Murray and it may not work out, but Dak is no Murray and Murray is no Dak.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I gave you the source(s). But feel free to think whatever you want about them.
This was reported from several outlets.

But since he re-signed with the Saints, that tells me his understanding is that Payton is staying put.

SSGMIKE

Reaction score
This was reported from several outlets.

But since he re-signed with the Saints, that tells me his understanding is that Payton is staying put.
I believe only a one year deal, so they both have options to come to Dallas...…

cern

Reaction score
it is my opinion that if garrett did not have one more year on his contract, he would already have been shown the door. Stephen, who now wlelds considerable influence in all things cowboys, is not a fan of jg. I've wanted garrett to be culled years ago. his shortcomings are obvious. riley or payton would be more than good replacements.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The most interesting take was.."Dallas is a complete team."

Firstly, I must admit that I'm not a total hater of SAS because he does, from time to time, make very valid points. I know he doesn't like our fanbase, and I'm not quite sure why that is. However, I do think that he likes what he sees from our team. Plus, I sort of do like his bluntness. I may not agree with his points a lot, but I will vouch for him and say that he's at least gives his perspective in a way that I think is honest to him. Having watched the video, I will say that, to a large extent, I agree with SAS here. Jerry and Stephen have done their jobs overall. We could use another DE and a Safety in the draft. However, in terms of building a capable team, Jerry and Stephen have done well. Dak is quite a good QB, as SAS acknowledged. Zeke is elite, and there's no denying that. Amari Cooper is an excellent WR. Our oline is still very good. Our defence is approaching elite status (needs a safety to be fully elite, and that can be added in the draft). Our punter is quite good. Our long snapper is always one of the most consistent LS in the league. Really, now it comes down to the coaching for this all to take us where we want to go. I agree with SAS that Jerry's patience with Garrett is at an end. He's built a very solid team, as I've laid out. Garrett needs to do his job now. Coach this team to the championship.

The one big point that SAS left out, in my view, was the possible impact that Bob McNair (Texans late owner) had on Jerry. If I recall correctly, the two of them were great friends. Since the passing of McNair, I can't help but notice that Jerry has been getting a bit anxious. It's almost as if he is seeing his gravestone being carved, and he is hearing the tolling of his bell beginning to chime. I think he knows that whoever he hires next will likely be the last coach he hires, as I have indicated on previous posts. I agree with SAS's veto of Will Cain and Max's coaching choices for our team. I too am not sold on either of them. SAS is right that Lincoln Riley is a brilliant offensive mind. So, he'd be a great OC for us, and he wouldn't be a bad pick. However, it is true that the Sooner's defence was horrendous last season. Can he coexist with Richard? That will remain to be seen. If he and Richard can coexist like Wade Phillips and Sean McVay have in Los Angeles, then I think we will have a superior coaching staff. I think our team will be top of the line. However, if he can't, I don't trust his abilities on picking a good defencive guy for the job. As for Sean Payton, yes, he was here previously. However, the big question is, can he fit in with Jerry? I think he can, and, given the point I made earlier in this paragraph, I think Jerry will let him be. The other sticky wicket is, would Sean Payton be okay with us running a 4-3? Parcells was the one, as good of a coach as he was, that changed us to the 3-4. That can work here, but we're built for the 4-3. I happen to think we are better suited for the 4-3 as well. If Payton can handle that and let Richard do his bit, then brilliant.

Personally, for an offencive-schemed HC, I want a West Coast Offence coach. I've said before, but the best scheme for Dak is the WCO. I think this offence has the makings of the WCO, particularly a Andy Reid-style WCO. I think what Matt Nagy has done with the Bears is something similar to what can be done here. As much as I dislike the Eagles, Doug Pederson has been excellent for the Eagles, and they are the only team in our division right now that poses a divisional threat to us at the moment. I also really like what Frank Reich has done with the Colts so far. They look formidable next season to me. Lots of cap space and really a solid team. So, if we are to go with a HC from an offencive perspective, then I would like to see us get someone from those teams.

GMO415

Reaction score
Firstly, I must admit that I'm not a total hater of SAS because he does, from time to time, make very valid points. I know he doesn't like our fanbase, and I'm not quite sure why that is. However, I do think that he likes what he sees from our team. Plus, I sort of do like his bluntness. I may not agree with his points a lot, but I will vouch for him and say that he's at least gives his perspective in a way that I think is honest to him. Having watched the video, I will say that, to a large extent, I agree with SAS here. Jerry and Stephen have done their jobs overall. We could use another DE and a Safety in the draft. However, in terms of building a capable team, Jerry and Stephen have done well. Dak is quite a good QB, as SAS acknowledged. Zeke is elite, and there's no denying that. Amari Cooper is an excellent WR. Our oline is still very good. Our defence is approaching elite status (needs a safety to be fully elite, and that can be added in the draft). Our punter is quite good. Our long snapper is always one of the most consistent LS in the league. Really, now it comes down to the coaching for this all to take us where we want to go. I agree with SAS that Jerry's patience with Garrett is at an end. He's built a very solid team, as I've laid out. Garrett needs to do his job now. Coach this team to the championship.

The one big point that SAS left out, in my view, was the possible impact that Bob McNair (Texans late owner) had on Jerry. If I recall correctly, the two of them were great friends. Since the passing of McNair, I can't help but notice that Jerry has been getting a bit anxious. It's almost as if he is seeing his gravestone being carved, and he is hearing the tolling of his bell beginning to chime. I think he knows that whoever he hires next will likely be the last coach he hires, as I have indicated on previous posts. I agree with SAS's veto of Will Cain and Max's coaching choices for our team. I too am not sold on either of them. SAS is right that Lincoln Riley is a brilliant offensive mind. So, he'd be a great OC for us, and he wouldn't be a bad pick. However, it is true that the Sooner's defence was horrendous last season. Can he coexist with Richard? That will remain to be seen. If he and Richard can coexist like Wade Phillips and Sean McVay have in Los Angeles, then I think we will have a superior coaching staff. I think our team will be top of the line. However, if he can't, I don't trust his abilities on picking a good defencive guy for the job. As for Sean Payton, yes, he was here previously. However, the big question is, can he fit in with Jerry? I think he can, and, given the point I made earlier in this paragraph, I think Jerry will let him be. The other sticky wicket is, would Sean Payton be okay with us running a 4-3? Parcells was the one, as good of a coach as he was, that changed us to the 3-4. That can work here, but we're built for the 4-3. I happen to think we are better suited for the 4-3 as well. If Payton can handle that and let Richard do his bit, then brilliant.

Personally, for an offencive-schemed HC, I want a West Coast Offence coach. I've said before, but the best scheme for Dak is the WCO. I think this offence has the makings of the WCO, particularly a Andy Reid-style WCO. I think what Matt Nagy has done with the Bears is something similar to what can be done here. As much as I dislike the Eagles, Doug Pederson has been excellent for the Eagles, and they are the only team in our division right now that poses a divisional threat to us at the moment. I also really like what Frank Reich has done with the Colts so far. They look formidable next season to me. Lots of cap space and really a solid team. So, if we are to go with a HC from an offencive perspective, then I would like to see us get someone from those teams.
No doubt Jerry's mortality has 99.99% to do with this move.

IceBowler

Reaction score
Stephen A knows as much as we do ... which is absolutely NOTHING.

Dre11

Reaction score
Clarence Hill was the source, which I provided. If you're actually looking for a direct quote from Bridgewater saying this? You're being willfully naive. Again, it's up to you if you choose to be that way. I can't make you understand something you choose not to, and I'm not inclined to waste the effort.

Clarence the source? Who said a source? Lol