Twitter: Stephen admits they failed to sign Watkins

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Remember this was at the beginning free agency March. Other words, they didn't any WR worthy of a first round pick in 2018 or 2019 draft. Also confirms they thought Watkins was a better option than offering Dez a pay cut.

Batman1980

Reaction score
At least there's this scouting report on Amari Cooper. FWIW Watkins is a speed 2, he's not a #1, which shows how badly this front office scouted him.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Asked to become a dominant offensive threat and did so. Accelerates to top speed and stays there at the top of his routes. Consistently able to get defenders leaning before breaking them off in the other direction. Owned the post route. Play speed includes a second gear. Good feel for traffic on crossers and is able to adjust and avoid the big hit. Unafraid to work the middle and secures the tough catch in traffic. Sticks it and gets it out of breaks, creating instant separation. Not content to sit in zone as covered target. Works to make himself presentable to quarterback. Competes hard and makes big plays in big games. Worked outside and from slot and varies his route speed. Tracks the ball well and has burst to run under and finish for six. Caught absolutely everything during NFL Scouting combine workout.
WEAKNESSES
Needs to finish routes. Will stop or occasionally adjust route, putting quarterback in danger of an interception. Can improve use of body to shield defenders from the ball. Run blocking can improve. Could use a little more fire in that department. Focus drops have been an issue at times, dropping 13 passes over the last two seasons.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 1 (top 10)
SOURCES TELL US
"Amari is super athletic, very fluid and highly skilled as a route runner and hands catcher. Because of his reserved demeanor and similar ability, I compared him to Marvin Harrison during the season." -- Former NFL GM and current Reese's Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage
NFL COMPARISON
Marvin Harrison
BOTTOM LINE
Won't dazzle with blazing speed or outrageous size, but is good in both categories. Complete receiver with game-changing ability to win downfield. Has the skill and twitch to be a consistent, high-volume target in the short and intermediate games with the ability to produce against any coverage. Cooper won't be able to run roughshod over NFL safeties like he did in college, but he should be able to help a passing game improve quickly.

Source - NFL.com

Sounds like drops were also an issue, probably always will be.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm a Watkins fan. I thought he was the best college receiver I've ever seen, and I always thought he had a ton of talent that was just never tapped due to the Bills' general toxicity.

But if you can only get 600 yards in Sean McVay's Rams offense, and then you can't break 1,000 yards with Pat Mahomes playing Madden IRL (I think Watkins is on pace for like 800), it's just never going to happen. We dodged a bullet.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm a Watkins fan. I thought he was the best college receiver I've ever seen, and I always thought he had a ton of talent that was just never tapped due to the Bills' general toxicity.

But if you can only get 600 yards in Sean McVay's Rams offense, and then you can't break 1,000 yards with Pat Mahomes playing Madden IRL (I think Watkins is on pace for like 800), it's just never going to happen. We dodged a bullet.
Ok, Stephen Jones, we know it's you! ^^^^ :muttley:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Interesting thing here is how during off season, we were told they didn't need a No.1 WR, yet they tried AND fail to sign one.

At the time, I was glad they failed. Sorry they signed Cooper now.

I don't think you need a #1. And in particular, one is wasted here. We're a run first team. That guy is not going to get a ton of targets, and Dak is not going to make the most of him. The cost for a #1 is a bad use off resource generally, but *particularly* for us.

I remember I was happy they failed to get Watkins, and thought they lucked into the right cap management strategy for WRs. Low total cap, but spread the money for multiple 2nd tier players.

We're trying to overcome the coaching failure of Linehan and QB weaknesses of Dak by throwing a pick and money at WR.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember this was at the beginning free agency March. Other words, they didn't any WR worthy of a first round pick in 2018 or 2019 draft. Also confirms they thought Watkins was a better option than offering Dez a pay cut.

I find it funny that Sturm uses that same term I have so many times, that Watkins "saved the Cowboys from themselves".

I can only imagine the added outrage.

John813

Reaction score

To be fair, to a point, mahommes has a billion weapons there. Hill, Kelce and Hunt are all great receivers(we,te,rb).

But yea, only getting 600 yards in Sean's system is a red flag. Go figure Woods blows up in his offense