Twitter: Stephen admits they failed to sign Watkins

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
At least there's this scouting report on Amari Cooper. FWIW Watkins is a speed 2, he's not a #1, which shows how badly this front office scouted him.

Source - NFL.com

Sounds like drops were also an issue, probably always will be.

Well, here's a current scouting report on Amari Cooper

Here’s one pro scouting director’s take on Cooper, having evaluated him this year: “Like, not love. Could run the route tree but wasn’t dynamic in any area. Didn’t feel like he could consistently be counted on to get open. Wasn’t a consistent natural hands guy, and didn’t feel like he would take over a game. More good No. 2 than No. 1.” I followed up and asked if he saw a different player in Cooper’s first two years, and the answer was yes.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/22/n...patrick-peterson-monday-afternoon-quarterback

glimmerman

Reaction score
Still amazed they didn’t resign Dez in a attempt to do something about the WR position. They resigned butler.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I'm a Watkins fan. I thought he was the best college receiver I've ever seen, and I always thought he had a ton of talent that was just never tapped due to the Bills' general toxicity.

But if you can only get 600 yards in Sean McVay's Rams offense, and then you can't break 1,000 yards with Pat Mahomes playing Madden IRL (I think Watkins is on pace for like 800), it's just never going to happen. We dodged a bullet.

He’s like the 3rd or 4th option in KC. That O is loaded, which will depress everyone’s stats because there’s not enough ball to go around. In terms of talent, Watkins has all you could ever ask for in a WR1. Size, speed, great route running skills.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Interesting thing here is how during off season, we were told they didn't need a No.1 WR, yet they tried AND fail to sign one.
I think it was more of trying to show confidence in the WR's that we had. As the season played out it was pretty obvious that the Front Office let Zeke, Dak, Beasly, the OL and the defense down by not being more aggressive with Watkins. But honestly as a fan I would much rather have Cooper over Watkins.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the time, I was glad they failed. Sorry they signed Cooper now.

I don't think you need a #1. And in particular, one is wasted here. We're a run first team. That guy is not going to get a ton of targets, and Dak is not going to make the most of him. The cost for a #1 is a bad use off resource generally, but *particularly* for us.

I remember I was happy they failed to get Watkins, and thought they lucked into the right cap management strategy for WRs. Low total cap, but spread the money for multiple 2nd tier players.

We're trying to overcome the coaching failure of Linehan and QB weaknesses of Dak by throwing a pick and money at WR.

That's a great point and, unfortunately, a distinct possibility.

One that goes back to my own biggest frustration. They want to look everywhere else for the reasons why they fail except for what's standing right in front of them. Shake up and change out everything else they can, other that the head coach and offensive coordinator in charge of this whole thing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still amazed they didn’t resign Dez in a attempt to do something about the WR position. They resigned butler.

I'm not amazed at all. They never actually admit to their mistakes, much less go back and correct them. Even with this move, the team said repeatedly they didn't need a true #1receiver, but then went out and gave up the farm for one. But I still haven't seen where anybody admitted the obvious - that they were completely wrong.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well by trading for Cooper they admitted they were wrong about the WR core. Good sign.

Maybe next they admit failure with HC and OC.

Their actions did, but the words haven't matched up.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Their attempt to sign freaking Sammy Watkin's to a 16m per year deal is one of the reasons I don't trust those fools.

The fact that the same guy that masterminded that attempted deal, also masterminded a 1st rounder for Cooper leads me to believe the Cowboys did not get the better end of that particular deal, even if I'm rooting for Amari to succeed.

conner01

Reaction score
Interesting thing here is how during off season, we were told they didn't need a No.1 WR, yet they tried AND fail to sign one.
Cover story
They obviously wanted a one but not Dez
They couldn’t get one so they cover themselves by saying we don’t need no stinking one
I don’t think you need great receivers if you have a great QB
If you have an avg or less QB or any young QB you need weapons to help him
The lack of a true one Wouldn’t have been so bad had you had a couple of true 2’s and a viable TE to target

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watkins has had comparable years, ironically in his first two seasons.

2014 (1st year)
65 rec./982 yards/6 TDs

60 rec./1,047 yards/9 TDs (in 13 games)

True. Good point. In looking at both guys, I'm seeing an awful lot of similarities. And I think the Cowboys likely did too.

It looks to me like they set up this picture in their head of a "New Triplets" with a trio of "young" players. Watkins is just 25 while Cooper is just 24.

I think they have a picture in their heads of three guys growing together.