Twitter: Stephen admits they failed to sign Watkins

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
jones boys lie all the time lol.
Hate saying this but there's plenty of truth here........lol
There may be a little strategy in some of those lies. If you're buying a car, do you ooh and aah over every detail, or do you make the dealer try to please you?
The less interested they seem, the less likely someone will try to beat them to what they actually want. Jerry may seem like a buffoon, but he didn't get to be a billionaire by tipping his hand every time he made a deal.

mardwin

Reaction score
I'm a Watkins fan. I thought he was the best college receiver I've ever seen, and I always thought he had a ton of talent that was just never tapped due to the Bills' general toxicity.

But if you can only get 600 yards in Sean McVay's Rams offense, and then you can't break 1,000 yards with Pat Mahomes playing Madden IRL (I think Watkins is on pace for like 800), it's just never going to happen. We dodged a bullet.

That's an unfair perspective. Watkins is the #2 WR in KC playing next to kid flash so very few #2s crack 1000 yards. Also don't forget KC arguably has the best Tight End in football so Watkins is more of a 3rd option. There's only one football to go around and when you have as many weapons as KC someone's production is going to falloff.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's an unfair perspective. Watkins is the #2 WR in KC playing next to kid flash so very few #2s crack 1000 yards. Also don't forget KC arguably has the best Tight End in football so Watkins is more of a 3rd option. There's only one football to go around and when you have as many weapons as KC someone's production is going to falloff.

Very true but Watkins isn't a 1. That was yet another terrible evaluation by our front office.

Pants

Reaction score
Fans: "Did they just give up a first rounder for Cooper?"
FO: "Sure did, gotta surround Dak with talent. We wanted to overpay for Watkins but got out-bid - but at least you can say we tried."
Fans: "But a first rounder?"
FO: "That's nothing, just wait"
(ring ring)
Dez: "Hello?"
FO: "Dez, you feel like coming here as a #2 and keeping your mouth shut?"
crickets followed by dial tone

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I wonder if Junior knows Watkins is on pace for 790 yards and 2 TDs this season?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was so thrilled that we didnt sign him for that amount of money.

Same here.

But now, we're going to be paying Cooper $14 million next year, and likely more in a contract extension we're essentially obligated to now make.

There are a lot of layers to this trade, whether some folks want to acknowledge them or not.

"This had better work"
peter%2Bcushing%2Bas%2Btarkin%2Bin%2BStar%2Bwars.jpg

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Same here.

But now, we're going to be paying Cooper $14 million next year, and likely more in a contract extension we're essentially obligated to now make.

There are a lot of layers to this trade, whether some folks want to acknowledge them or not.

"This had better work"
peter%2Bcushing%2Bas%2Btarkin%2Bin%2BStar%2Bwars.jpg
But at least we get to see cooper for a year and a half on this team before we marry him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But at least we get to see cooper for a year and a half on this team before we marry him.

At the cost of a first round pick. So if you hate what you see, you used a first round pick for a year and a half and $15 million in cap space.

And at that point, if it hasn't worked, you're also in the market for your new quarterback.

This thing can go very well or it can go very bad.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

This and even Hunt catches a lot of passes in the backfield or lined up as a receiver. Must be nice to have an innovative HC and OC.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Never forget that this team drafted Gavin Escobar ahead of that "best Tight End in football", I won't.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Cover story
They obviously wanted a one but not Dez
They couldn’t get one so they cover themselves by saying we don’t need no stinking one
I don’t think you need great receivers if you have a great QB
If you have an avg or less QB or any young QB you need weapons to help him
The lack of a true one Wouldn’t have been so bad had you had a couple of true 2’s and a viable TE to target

this ^^^

gmoney112

Reaction score
We're pretty terrible at evaluating top WR talent.

WR talent in general really. Gallup was one of the better receivers in college at beating press and can run a route, so he's got a chance at least.

I guess TE can probably get thrown in there too. That's been a dumpster fire.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Interesting thing here is how during off season, we were told they didn't need a No.1 WR, yet they tried AND fail to sign one.

Sorta more a story fans seem to have made up. It was widely known that we tried on Watkins.

We thought Watkins was a 1. There weren't any other 1s out there. How do you get a 1 if there isn't one available? Would you have preferred chasing guys who weren't 1s or keeping Dez (a decent two who thinks he's a great 1)?