Twitter: Stephen admits they failed to sign Watkins

conner01

Reaction score
We're pretty terrible at evaluating top WR talent.

WR talent in general really. Gallup was one of the better receivers in college at beating press and can run a route, so he's got a chance at least.

I guess TE can probably get thrown in there too. That's been a dumpster fire.
Marty was a good TE just a bit nuts
Escobar was a good prospect but never developed
It’s definitly time to invest in the position
We need that security blanket for Dak and a guy that has enough speed to exploit the seam
Haven’t looked at the TE coming out this year but it needs to be addressed

TheHerd

Reaction score
who would you take

No clue yet. But use that top 10 pick and package it for a top QB, or just pick the best OL, or see what's available. I just don't see Cooper being such a stud.

We've (this FO) chosen to not play in free agency, when it's, you know, free, but we'll play when it costs draft picks. Just doesn't make sense.

waving monkey

Reaction score
No clue yet. But use that top 10 pick and package it for a top QB, or just pick the best OL, or see what's available. I just don't see Cooper being such a stud.

We've (this FO) chosen to not play in free agency, when it's, you know, free, but we'll play when it costs draft picks. Just doesn't make sense.
I do think Cooper is a greater WR then any thing available now or in the off season.IMO
We were not going after a QB in the draft that should be apparent.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Remember this was at the beginning free agency March. Other words, they didn't any WR worthy of a first round pick in 2018 or 2019 draft. Also confirms they thought Watkins was a better option than offering Dez a pay cut.

Wasn't our receivers coach in Buffalo when Watkins had his 1,000-yard season? Probably thought we could get him back to that type of play, just like they are with Cooper.

However, outside of the defensive line, I'm not sure I have seen players do better here than they did with their previous team. (The exception would be receivers when Romo was quarterback ... which may be why the team feels they can do better here with Dak at QB.)

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Remember this was at the beginning free agency March. Other words, they didn't any WR worthy of a first round pick in 2018 or 2019 draft. Also confirms they thought Watkins was a better option than offering Dez a pay cut.

watkins sucks

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Stephen should be apologizing for even trying to sign Watkins.

InTheZone

Reaction score
so glad they didn't sign Watkins, would've royally screwed our draft to fix the offense next year. We kind of already did that, but at least Cooper>>>>>>>Watkins.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I do think Cooper is a greater WR then any thing available now or in the off season.IMO
This move made it apparent that it’s Dak for the future. We were going WR in first round.!Despite them saying we don’t need a #1 stud WR. They were saying that because we didn’t have one yet. Didn’t want to openly say we were weak at that position. Cooper is better and more proven than any WR in the draft. The problem is the money part. We should make some signings this year. D-Law and Beez. Maybe wrap Cooper up with a 3 year deal if he pans out. And he should.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
As much as I hated trading a first for Cooper, I like it exponentially better than any outcome where we signed Watkins. Cooper can be a #1. Watkins is a bit/role player.

lk8701

Reaction score
At the time, I was glad they failed. Sorry they signed Cooper now.

I don't think you need a #1. And in particular, one is wasted here. We're a run first team. That guy is not going to get a ton of targets, and Dak is not going to make the most of him. The cost for a #1 is a bad use off resource generally, but *particularly* for us.

I remember I was happy they failed to get Watkins, and thought they lucked into the right cap management strategy for WRs. Low total cap, but spread the money for multiple 2nd tier players.

We're trying to overcome the coaching failure of Linehan and QB weaknesses of Dak by throwing a pick and money at WR.

High IQ post. I agree 100%. The Cowboys need to focus on getting an elite coach who can scheme guys open and an elite QB who can throw guys open.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Folks are also falling into a false dichotomy that we either had to trade for Cooper or take a WR in the first round this off-season.

We very likely would have been drafting somewhere between 15-20, so there will likely be a very good player or two at another position that can help this team next year.

Folks act like we're one player away. The reality is Tyron's play has been declining, Collins has been a disppointment on the other end, who knows if Frederick ever comes back. Irving is likely leaving next season which removes talent from the interior of the d-line, et cetera.....oh, and we still have an issue at safety.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Marty was a good TE just a bit nuts
Escobar was a good prospect but never developed
It’s definitly time to invest in the position
We need that security blanket for Dak and a guy that has enough speed to exploit the seam
Haven’t looked at the TE coming out this year but it needs to be addressed

The problem is finding the complete 3-down TE and I'm not sure we can expect that from a 2nd rounder. That's why I'm thinking maybe we should address it via free agency and develop a mid to late round draft pick.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I agree with all you are saying. Someone asked what I would do. This is what I would so. I know what they are doing.

Garrett and Dak are the future. So we're looking at quite a few more years of teasing.