Twitter: Stephen admits they failed to sign Watkins

TheHerd

Reaction score
Folks are also falling into a false dichotomy that we either had to trade for Cooper or take a WR in the first round this off-season.

We very likely would have been drafting somewhere between 15-20, so there will likely be a very good player or two at another position that can help this team next year.

Folks act like we're one player away. The reality is Tyron's play has been declining, Collins has been a disppointment on the other end, who knows if Frederick ever comes back. Irving is likely leaving next season which removes talent from the interior of the d-line, et cetera.....oh, and we still have an issue at safety.
Totally agree, which is why I said an OL would likely be my choice. But I don't study college yet, so I really don't know.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marty was a good TE just a bit nuts
Escobar was a good prospect but never developed

No, absolutely not. He was the absolute worst of the TE prospects available that year. A colossal mistake and bust. The guys drafted around him are currently among the best in the league while Escobar is out of the league.

Don't try to sugarcoat that huge mistake now.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Thonpson
You need a #1 to stretch the field vertically. You need to keep the defense, especially the safeties, honest.

Thompson has plenty of speed to stretch the field, but even when he's out there they never send him deep. I know he's not a #1, but someone would have to at least run with him.

Watching Cooper's highlights really points out how bad our scheme is. Almost all of his highlight catches he's running full out when he gets the pass. Our outside receivers are rarely running full out when they receive the ball.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
At least there's this scouting report on Amari Cooper. FWIW Watkins is a speed 2, he's not a #1, which shows how badly this front office scouted him.

Source - NFL.com

Sounds like drops were also an issue, probably always will be.

Compares him to Marvin Harrison during the season. :laugh:
Heard Harrison was straight thug off season.

CapnB

Reaction score
At least they admit it and want to try to fix it before the season is gone. Probably would have ticked me off more to admit at the end of the season and try nothing to fix it and keep talking about the future. Cause im tired of this team talking about the future. i wanna see some now.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Remember this was at the beginning free agency March. Other words, they didn't any WR worthy of a first round pick in 2018 or 2019 draft. Also confirms they thought Watkins was a better option than offering Dez a pay cut.

Hey Stephen, please sell my team to someone who’s not an idiot.

Thanks.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You need a #1 to stretch the field vertically. You need to keep the defense, especially the safeties, honest.

You need someone fast to stretch the field vertically. Should have used Butler a lot more last year. He cost nothing. Thompson similarly.

Austin is a good fit for us, as he contributes to the run game too.

We just didn't need to spend a first to stretch the field.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Dude... you're pretty awesome.
My father was an Elvis impersonator, from what I've been told (he had an accident when I was 3), so I've always kept a special place in my heart for his music.
Isn't funny how he is considered the King of Rock and Roll and yet he's barely played on any radio stations in comparison to anybody else, even say... Golden Earring.
I hear Golden Earring and Radar Love more than any Elvis song ever made- on the radio.

jjktkk

Reaction score
At least there's this scouting report on Amari Cooper. FWIW Watkins is a speed 2, he's not a #1, which shows how badly this front office scouted him.

Source - NFL.com

Sounds like drops were also an issue, probably always will be.
Its easy to bash the Cowboy's FO, but what about K.C's FO? Even one of the best teams in the league can make mistakes in evaluating talent.

cern

Reaction score
No shortage of naysayers, doomsayers or gloomsayers here. Seems we've been drafting well of late.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Remember this was at the beginning free agency March. Other words, they didn't any WR worthy of a first round pick in 2018 or 2019 draft. Also confirms they thought Watkins was a better option than offering Dez a pay cut.

obviously they failed to sign Watkins otherwise he would be here :facepalm:

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
You need someone fast to stretch the field vertically. Should have used Butler a lot more last year. He cost nothing. Thompson similarly.

Austin is a good fit for us, as he contributes to the run game too.

We just didn't need to spend a first to stretch the field.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Meanwhile, we trade a 1st round pick for a guy that hasn't produced like a #1 for two years now.

Makes total sense.
and yet if it works out all the people who are hating the deal now will come back later and say it was their idea that's why I love the zone our hypocrisy knows no bounds

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
To stretch the field vertically, you have to have a "credible threat" to beat the defense at the WR position, not just somebody who can run fast. The guy"s got to be able to get open and make catches, even contested ones. I like Austin's ability to stretch a defense horizontally as much, if not more, than vertically.

star-ving

Reaction score
Wasn't Alshon Jeffery an option at one point? Or were we too cap strapped.