Twitter: Stephen admits they failed to sign Watkins

817Gill

Reaction score
I'd rather have a first round pick next year than either of them.
So we can take a recently poor chance at a WR prospect? How many 1st round receivers have panned out in the last 5 years?

Cooper has shown he can play and just left a dumpster fire franchise in a contract season. He’s going to be a lot more productive this year and next than a 1st round pick would be. Especially since rookie receivers take a year to get it going anyways, probably wouldn’t get anything out of him till 2020. By that time we would have paid Dak and be getting ready to pay Zeke. This move is actually genius.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Watkins is a slot receiver these days in KC. They have Conley starting across from Hill. KC overpaid and they're still going to have to pay Hill, and eventually Mahomes.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I'm not amazed at all. They never actually admit to their mistakes, much less go back and correct them. Even with this move, the team said repeatedly they didn't need a true #1receiver, but then went out and gave up the farm for one. But I still haven't seen where anybody admitted the obvious - that they were completely wrong.

Actions speak louder than words...……….they know they screwed up with this bogus "dont need a number one WR" strategy.

Guess what? When you are 30th in the NFL in pass offense after 7 games...……...yea, you do need a number one WR....hence, the trade.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
At the cost of a first round pick. So if you hate what you see, you used a first round pick for a year and a half and $15 million in cap space.

And at that point, if it hasn't worked, you're also in the market for your new quarterback.

This thing can go very well or it can go very bad.

This is also about evaluating Dak...………..people need not forgot this

If Dak cant get the ball to a true number one WR, then the problem is Dak

Like Broaddus said on Talkin Cowboys...…...that first round pick may save you from a $100 million dollar mistake.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Like Broaddus said on Talkin Cowboys...…...that first round pick may save you from a $100 million dollar mistake.
It shouldn't have taken it this far, but maybe it needs to take it this far, on that front.

mardwin

Reaction score
Never forget that this team drafted Gavin Escobar ahead of that "best Tight End in football", I won't.

Lol, the endless f up by this front office. Let's not forget we drafted a guy that can't catch with his hands over Keenan Allen and gave up a 1st and 2nd for Mo Claiborne passing on Luke Kuechly.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
i don't know if AC is a "true" #1 or not.

there seems to be many who believe he is a #2.

whether he is a #2 trying to be a #1 or not, i just hope it isn't a reason to give DP a pass if there is not any production because AC is not a "true" #1.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol, the endless f up by this front office. Let's not forget we drafted a guy that can't catch with his hands over Keenan Allen and gave up a 1st and 2nd for Mo Claiborne passing on Luke Kuechly.

Overall, they've done a nice job with the draft, especially lately. But when they've missed, there have been some doozies!

kskboys

Reaction score
Keuchly or Fletcher Cox!!!!

cowboyec

Reaction score
Dude... you're pretty awesome.
My father was an Elvis impersonator, from what I've been told (he had an accident when I was 3), so I've always kept a special place in my heart for his music.
Isn't funny how he is considered the King of Rock and Roll and yet he's barely played on any radio stations in comparison to anybody else, even say... Golden Earring.
I hear Golden Earring and Radar Love more than any Elvis song ever made- on the radio.
it's criminal......just once,I wanna hear Hound Dog on Classic Rock....in Rock lore...it don't get more classic than The King.

by the way Mr.Corso.....you're Awesomer!!!!!!!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh good....at least these front office clowns will now be held responsible....ooops....Oh I forgot- it’s a nepotism cartel where no one with red hair or with the last name Jones is ever held accountable for failure.

With Jerry as our “dear leader”, success is measured in dollar signs, not in playoff wins.

TheHerd

Reaction score
So we can take a recently poor chance at a WR prospect? How many 1st round receivers have panned out in the last 5 years?

Cooper has shown he can play and just left a dumpster fire franchise in a contract season. He’s going to be a lot more productive this year and next than a 1st round pick would be. Especially since rookie receivers take a year to get it going anyways, probably wouldn’t get anything out of him till 2020. By that time we would have paid Dak and be getting ready to pay Zeke. This move is actually genius.
I'm not taking a receiver in round 1. They're gonna pay for Cooper anyway. Get a fa for no draft picks, draft OL.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I always questioned the Watkins move. It was like they went all-in on him. Its a huge drop off from offering him 16 million then to settling for Allen Turns at 6 million which we thought was a solid deal.

My theory was they know Watkins wasn't ever coming. When have the Cowboys offered anyone and overpaid for anyone and didn't get them?

loblolly7

Reaction score
As we find out more.... Dallas did not overpay... It was essentially the going rate. So that argument has been dispensed. Too many comments about being worthless for the last two years. Well digging further, he was injured for most of 2017.. bad ankle... So, can dispense with that issue... For those who are more knowledgable than scouts and front office and could run the team better.... well I think you will be proving wrong in this trade... Given the team a break, and when he produces, then everybody will be on the bandwagon...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not taking a receiver in round 1. They're gonna pay for Cooper anyway. Get a fa for no draft picks, draft OL.
What guarantees do we have that Cooper will stay after 2019 when he becomes a FA? They may want to pay Cooper but what if he wants to go to a team with better coaching and playoff chances in a year and a half? If he wants a ring and the money is the same with a real contender, he could say adios.

I’m not necessarily predicting that but a lot of our fans are making some big assumptions about the future with a front office that hasn’t exactly been a model for good trades and roster management.