Twitter: Stephen admits they failed to sign Watkins

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Well, let's face it, the Cowboys' FO has failed to sign lots of players that they've wanted.

Most of your pro football free agents just don't want to become bargain basement guys.

Other times, it's those players that you don't sign that turn out being the best decisions.

Last edited:

817Gill

Reaction score
I'm not taking a receiver in round 1. They're gonna pay for Cooper anyway. Get a fa for no draft picks, draft OL.
I’m good on paying a fortune to slot receiver Golden Tate and there’s no way the front office would draft o line first round.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I'm a Watkins fan. I thought he was the best college receiver I've ever seen, and I always thought he had a ton of talent that was just never tapped due to the Bills' general toxicity.

But if you can only get 600 yards in Sean McVay's Rams offense, and then you can't break 1,000 yards with Pat Mahomes playing Madden IRL (I think Watkins is on pace for like 800), it's just never going to happen. We dodged a bullet.
You nailed it! Watkins and Beasley each have about 350 yds. Watkins is a bust if your 16 mil a year. He isnt even a #2 WR!!!

sideon

Reaction score
I think it was more of trying to show confidence in the WR's that we had. As the season played out it was pretty obvious that the Front Office let Zeke, Dak, Beasly, the OL and the defense down by not being more aggressive with Watkins. But honestly as a fan I would much rather have Cooper over Watkins.
They weren't showing confidence in this pathetic group, they just didn't want to admit that they screwed up. Now because of their stupidity they had to give up a 1st for a guy who costs more and has more drops than the guy they cut.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
not to defend them but in the real world sometimes people in power have to lie
yes they do, but sometimes it is better to say nothing than tell a lie? same for some of the other things that are just BS, better to
just not say anything.

TheHerd

Reaction score
So we can take a recently poor chance at a WR prospect? How many 1st round receivers have panned out in the last 5 years?

Cooper has shown he can play and just left a dumpster fire franchise in a contract season. He’s going to be a lot more productive this year and next than a 1st round pick would be. Especially since rookie receivers take a year to get it going anyways, probably wouldn’t get anything out of him till 2020. By that time we would have paid Dak and be getting ready to pay Zeke. This move is actually genius.

Again, I'm not taking a WR round 1. By getting Cooper even this FO is paying to Dollar, 14M, for a WR. And it's a one year deal. Why not use FA and get a WR for a few years and use the #1 on best player?

Mr_437

Reaction score
The fact they wanted Watkins for top dollar is disturbing. Stop trying to pay ransom for WRs and get a freaking QB that makes WRs look good, more cost effective.

817Gill

Reaction score
Again, I'm not taking a WR round 1. By getting Cooper even this FO is paying to Dollar, 14M, for a WR. And it's a one year deal. Why not use FA and get a WR for a few years and use the #1 on best player?
14M is not that much for a wr1 and WR is also the biggest position of need on the roster. The BPA wouldnt be in the teams three biggest positions of need. WR/FS/TE. This team isn’t deep at all other positions, failing to address one of these positions in the first round would have been idiotic. WR is obviously the biggest need so fhats where they would’ve been looking.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Well Stephen mentioned they offered a big chunk of change for Watkins on a recent show with Eatman,and I’m wondering why they keep dumping big money at WR? It didn’t work out when they did that to R.Williams,Austin,Dez,or Terrance. But here we go again...

ItzKelz

Reaction score
They weren't showing confidence in this pathetic group, they just didn't want to admit that they screwed up. Now because of their stupidity they had to give up a 1st for a guy who costs more and has more drops than the guy they cut.
Dez didn't get cut because he had drops; he got cut because he was not a good route runner. Everyone down to McClay has said this. Cooper is an excellent route runner.

With that said I agree it was a failure not to get a number 1. However, that does not mean that not showing confidence in the WRs left on the team would have not been a good thing to do and that is pretty much obvious. Giving up a first for a position that the team admitted they would have spent a first on next year was a smart move. In hindsight sure we should have went all out to get a #1 but we didn't and Cooper is better than what was on the market last FA offseason and I think we can all agree to that. Hopefully it pays off the rest of this season.

dfense

Reaction score
For all the complaining about how Jerrah has come up short year after year, you haven't seen nothing yet. Stephen will slowly destroy this franchise. Since he's graduated from contract negotiation to handling the GM duties, his stamp is bad bad bad. And I fear it's going to get worse.
Everything that guy touches turns to crap. Watkins was an all the time injured guy in Buffalo. He got hurt celebrating a TD. I'm glad he screwed that signing up.

cern

Reaction score
Lots of teams are interested in certain players. But in the end only one team signs the player. The team willing to pay the most. Think the skins looked brilliant after the Albert haynesworth deal? Is Sammy Watkins tearing it up in Kansas city. Nate solder making the giants o-line great? Couches and arm chairs lead furniture sales. Especially in the fall months.