Twitter: Stephen confirms Jaylon RFA

Knotamus

Reaction score
But Jack's rookie contract will be done a year earlier than Jaylon's. We didn't miss a year, we deferred a year.

I was mainly talking about Jaylon and Myles immediate impact, but very good point. Kinda makes my point more valid...not to mention, 2016 draft is one of the best Dallas has ever seen. Just seems hard to argue imo

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Still dumb to take Zeke at 4 and then a guy who wasn't going to play for a year at 36.

In a vacuum it's a fine pick, but relative to....the entire rest of the team, it was dumb.

I remember wanting Ragland, Jack, or Noah Spence there. I was also high on Tyler Boyd and Michael Thomas in a trade down scenario in the 2nd round. Think it worked out from a defensive perspective and you can certainly argue for the WRs, but at the time they weren't the best prospects on the board.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
But Jack's rookie contract will be done a year earlier than Jaylon's. We didn't miss a year, we deferred a year.
Actually Jack gets a 5th year option but his deal was 4/26m with 10m+ for the 5th year compared to 4/6.5m for JSmith with 4.5m for the RFA in 2020

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I understand that we are on a forum and debating goes on within the forum therefore some feel as if they must come off as being right all the time....but....Jaylon was definitely projected as the best player in that draft before injury at ND. Again seeing what Jaylon has become....I do not see the logic of complaining now about what happened then simply because we now have the best tandem at LB in the NFL. So logically speaking.....SJ and company were right.

I believe the question being posed is why were we looking to the future when we were trying to win now. The answer is because we couldn't get a talent like Smith otherwise. We took a chance because of his value when healthy.

Both sides are reasonable positions. If you never do what it takes to put your team over the top, you're always playing for the future instead of now ... when you might have a team that could win with one or two additions.

However, if you play for now and fail in that attempt, then you blew the opportunity to take a player for the future who would have been an early first-round pick.

When do you go all in on now vs. preparing for tomorrow?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
My dream is Jaylon, LVE, and Lee all on the field at once, all healthy.

If Lee is healthy, I'm not going to be too happy if the defensive coaches don't get all three on the field on the same time when we have three linebackers on the field. In fact, I'd probably play a little less nickel since Jaylon can run like a safety and provides better run support. I think we need to limit Lee's snaps, but having all three out there when a run is at least as likely as a pass makes us a stronger D IMO.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Actually Jack gets a 5th year option but his deal was 4/26m with 10m+ for the 5th year compared to 4/6.5m for JSmith with 4.5m for the RFA in 2020

Yet another plus for the willingness to defer gratification and draft injured players who fall in the draft - much cheaper rookie contracts.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If Lee is healthy, I'm not going to be too happy if the defensive coaches don't get all three on the field on the same time when we have three linebackers on the field. In fact, I'd probably play a little less nickel since Jaylon can run like a safety and provides better run support. I think we need to limit Lee's snaps, but having all three out there when a run is at least as likely as a pass makes us a stronger D IMO.

We're on the same page.

I don't know why people aren't more excited about seeing all 3 together. Lee is not ancient. And he's a coach on the field. He makes a difference for how the whole defense plays. His floor is probably better than the Damien Wilson's and Kyle Wilbers we've had playing the 3rd, and his ceiling is the pro bowl if he gets the snaps.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yet another plus for the willingness to defer gratification and draft injured players who fall in the draft - much cheaper rookie contracts.
We got lucky with JSmith getting the year back.... if he forced our hand we would have to activate him or put him or the IR much earlier but he was cool with it because the nerves weren't firing

The whole thing could have blown up and we waste the 34th pick

Take the win but don't risk any more 2nd round picks

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I made a huge mistake here

I was using Ramsey and not Myles Jack....... Myles Jack went 2 picks after JSmith and will be a UFA next year like ddavis said

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Luv me sum Stephen.
This is one of the reasons why taking injured players who will miss a year at a steep discount is a great deal. The other is that grownups can defer gratification. We didn't miss a year with Jaylon. We deferred a year. Jaylon didn't accrue a league year in his rookie reason. It was a redshirt year. And for being grownup and willing to defer gratification, we got a consensus top 5 player in the top of the 2nd. Similarly with Gregory. When you're suspended, you don't accrue games toward a league year. Gregory only has 2 accrued seasons.
And soon enough, the league (and probably the country) will change it's position on pot, and Gregory won't even have an issue, and we'll have a consensus top ten player for a bottom of the 2nd pick.

Granted that they both had extra risk beyond the delay, risk that they never come back at all, and that was also part of the risk we took to get our discount.

But so many mistakenly treat *deferred* years as if they are *lost* years. Once you realize that's not the case, picks discounted only for deferred gratification an arbitrage opportunity in a win now league where most other GMs aren't willing to defer gratification. It's statistically free money in the street.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - Giggity! There has been a question for years now whether the team screwed up and let Jaylon accrue a league year his rookie season while never playing a snap. I'm glad they didn't make that mistake.

As to that situation with Gregory and if they are actually buying time waiting for the laws and rules to change, it seems to me to be a sad Cowboy state of affairs if we have to lower standards that far to acquire players.

Proof

Reaction score
Still dumb to take Zeke at 4 and then a guy who wasn't going to play for a year at 36.

In a vacuum it's a fine pick, but relative to....the entire rest of the team, it was dumb.

Yeah I was flabbergasted by those picks back to back

Questfor6

Reaction score
I was mad at the time when they made the pick but understood that the team Doctor did the surgery so they knew then he'd be back just not right away. For what it's worth I wanted one of Ogbah or Noah Spence and they both suck.

HanD

Reaction score
How can Jack have a 5th year option as a second round pick? I thought that was only for first rounders?

HanD

Reaction score
Thanks, we had this talk a few weeks ago and I have been waiting 3 years for verification

Either way we have to extend him IMO....... if we 1st Round tender him for 4.5m someone may match with a crazy deal

Best to offer him a 2-3 year extension right now.... he gets the big signing bonus and still gets FA in a couple years in his mid 20s

Offer 2/20m extension to 2019 and add 5m in incentives.... keeps him thru 2021....with 15m SB

2019.............1m base...........5m sb............6m cap hit
2020.............4m base...........5m sb............9m cap hit
2021............1m+5m RB........5m sb...........11m cap hit

I hope he takes that and it would have been reasonable before free agency but I doubt it after Mosely got 85m over 5yrs, jaylon is gonna get at least 14 or 15 aav imo.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Gotta take the long view. QBs are playing and productive for 15 years and more these days. CBs last. DEs. Olinemen. With RBs, you're hoping for 6.

Sure, but CBs also leave in FA after their first contract and they can get hurt on any given play. Terrence Newman played forever but Morris Claiborne left after his first contract - and no one cared.

I believe draft picks should get three grades - the day of the draft, after 3 years and after their career is over. Right now Zeke wins on the first two, but we have to wait and see for the third one just like you say.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He wasn't projected to be the #1 pick, because he wasn't going to play.

I complained about it then, too. It made absolutely 0 sense to draft a guy who wasn't going to play, at a position with 0 depth, on a team with a dominant OL and great but fragile QB.
Dude, if you’re still *****ing about that pick then nothing anyone is going to say is going to change your mind. They got a top 10 player for a 2nd rounder. Take a lesser player just to have a body to throw out there? Not smart.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So? You know who else would have been great last season? Myles Jack, or Deion Jones,. All guys taken in the second round who could have helped in 2016 too, when we had Justin Durant and Andrew Gachkar taking regular snaps.

They made a pick at 4 to win right now, and a pick at 34 to win later. It's dumb logic, and the logic is worse at 34 because you had an old, banged up QB.
An old/banged up QB who never started due to preseason major back injury and was forced to retire. Their QB pick gamble in the 4th round turned out to be a diamond in the rough, Jaylon is now fully healthy and playing like one of the best league MLBs, and Jerry and Stephen's gambles are evidently paying off. So why complain?

iRepDatStar

Reaction score
But but but the patriots doctor said he wouldnt play again... everyone here loves to compare the cowboys decisions to the pats decisions.. but what happened in this case?.. Cowboys were right and pats were wrong