Twitter: Stephen confirms Jaylon RFA

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It is not dumb. It is the same as trading a 2nd for next years first. Nobody would say that is a dumb move!
Except no one knew if he was ever coming back and if he did would he ever be the same

His injury was horrific and it was touch and go his nerve would ever start firing

We all went through that drama daily and it took a lot longer than any doctors or experts expected

JSmith can be commended for his hard work and rehab but some luck was involved as well

Counting on luck is no way to use the 34th pick in the Draft no matter the upside..... gamble from the 3rd round and on

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Still dumb to take Zeke at 4 and then a guy who wasn't going to play for a year at 36.

In a vacuum it's a fine pick, but relative to....the entire rest of the team, it was dumb.

Yep! Losing out on Jaylon Smith in the 2016 season truly devastated the Dallas Cowboys. They were "only" able to win 13 games that season without him.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
They hurt their chances to win a Super Bowl with an aging Tony Romo to get a guy who plays one of the least important positions in football, after drafting a running back in the top 5.

Dumb then, dumb now, regardless of how good Jaylon is.

Tony Romo never sniffed a Super Bowl, even with TO, Glenn, DWare and a young Witten-calm down with that stuff.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Yep! Losing out on Jaylon Smith in the 2016 season truly devastated the Dallas Cowboys. They were "only" able to win 13 games that season without him.
Yep, Justin Durant chasing around Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs is exactly what they wanted.

And again, that's revisionist history.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Yep, Justin Durant chasing around Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs is exactly what they wanted.

IIRC correctly, would someone other than Jaylon stop the line from wrapping around Irving’s neck? Or keep Rodgers from fumbling on that heath blitz? Or does that pick at 36 tell Byron not to let cook get that sideline open?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
IIRC correctly, would someone other than Jaylon stop the line from wrapping around Irving’s neck? Or keep Rodgers from fumbling on that heath blitz? Or does that pick at 36 tell Byron not to let cook get that sideline open?
No. But I think there's a pretty compellng case to be made that Myles Jack gets a heck of a lot closer to Aaron Rodgers on that final play than Durant did.

In the second half of that game, the Cowboys were slanting 3 rushers so Rodgers had to roll one way, and then spying/pressuring with Justin Durant. I'm not interested in any conversation in which someone doesn't believe that a better LBer in that scenario doesn't help win that game.

Lutonio

Reaction score
I agree. That extra year takes it over the top. A lot of people failed to account for that when criticizing the move.

With how he has been playing, it's a success even without that year.

Jumbo075

Reaction score

I don't think you understand what the term "revisionist history" means.

cern

Reaction score
I don't understand why the drafting of a player, be it Jaylon smith or vander esch cannot be judged solely on the merits of their performances. smith turned out to be an outstanding lb despite the horrific injury. vander esch turned out to be an outstanding lb despite many thinking it was a stupid pick. I thought the freddy pick was a poor one. very happy to have been wrong. rants were plentiful concerning Amari cooper last year, but going from 3-5 to finishing on a 7-1 swing proved his naysayers wrong, even if they will not admit it. what more does zeke need to do to prove his value to the team? many know the sky appears blue. few understand why.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't think you understand what the term "revisionist history" means.
Justifying something based on how it looks now, is revisionist history.

THat's what anyone saying Jaylon was a good pick at the time is doing.

cern

Reaction score
Justifying something based on how it looks now, is revisionist history.

THat's what anyone saying Jaylon was a good pick at the time is doing.
that is reality, not revisionism. there is no new information in that he was damaged goods when drafted. there are no moral judgments to discuss. and there are no legal representations to raise. ergo, not revisionism. just reality with a dose of hindsight involved.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
No. But I think there's a pretty compellng case to be made that Myles Jack gets a heck of a lot closer to Aaron Rodgers on that final play than Durant did.

In the second half of that game, the Cowboys were slanting 3 rushers so Rodgers had to roll one way, and then spying/pressuring with Justin Durant. I'm not interested in any conversation in which someone doesn't believe that a better LBer in that scenario doesn't help win that game.
Myles Jack had 3 total tackles in his last 5 games in 2016. With the way he was playing, I doubt he would have even been on the field for us in that situation had we picked him over Jaylon.

Reactions: CWR

willia451

Reaction score
Some people just cannot get happy about the present.

They bring what they are in here. It's why I don't even lurk anymore. The negativity is absolutely tyrannical in its depth and scope.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
They bring what they are in here. It's why I don't even lurk anymore. The negativity is absolutely tyrannical in its depth and scope.

The vocal minority always makes more noise than the majority. That's why social media is such a bane on civilized society. The most maladjusted get the biggest bullhorn. The chronic complainers get their illusions reinforced by others with similar illusions.

I don't let that bother me. "Ignore" is a wonderful, wonderful feature. It makes coming to chat rooms like this much more enjoyable.

Secondly, you may be able to win a wrestling match with a skunk, but is it really worth it. Share your opinion, and then let it stand on its own. Arguing with every naysayer is a waste of time and emotional energy. I avoid posters who need to answer every commenter on a thread they begin. They are too insecure in their initial post to let it be.

Reactions: JPM

cern

Reaction score
The vocal minority always makes more noise than the majority. That's why social media is such a bane on civilized society. The most maladjusted get the biggest bullhorn. The chronic complainers get their illusions reinforced by others with similar illusions.

I don't let that bother me. "Ignore" is a wonderful, wonderful feature. It makes coming to chat rooms like this much more enjoyable.

Secondly, you may be able to win a wrestling match with a skunk, but is it really worth it. Share your opinion, and then let it stand on its own. Arguing with every naysayer is a waste of time and emotional energy. I avoid posters who need to answer every commenter on a thread they begin. They are too insecure in their initial post to let it be.
Some are content to say feces stink. Some feel the need to quantify it to the nth degree. And need to be right about how badly it smells.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Some people just cannot get happy about the present.
It's the type of character that is always negative. It's the type of people you do not want to have as friends. They will try their hardest to bring you down to their negative level.

robjay04

Reaction score
Still dumb to take Zeke at 4 and then a guy who wasn't going to play for a year at 36.

In a vacuum it's a fine pick, but relative to....the entire rest of the team, it was dumb.

But you still got that second pick on the field for 4 seasons...3 of which we are hopefully seeing the return closer to a first round pick.

I get your logic...but I was under the impression that this was a contract year for Smith.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
that is reality, not revisionism. there is no new information in that he was damaged goods when drafted. there are no moral judgments to discuss. and there are no legal representations to raise. ergo, not revisionism. just reality with a dose of hindsight involved.
Revisionist history is reinterpretation. They made a win-now pick, followed by a win-later pick. It's revisionist history to say that the logic was sound because the second pick turned into a good player. What Jaylon turned out to be is 10000000% new informatoin.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Revisionist history is reinterpretation. They made a win-now pick, followed by a win-later pick. It's revisionist history to say that the logic was sound because the second pick turned into a good player. What Jaylon turned out to be is 10000000% new informatoin.
That isn't revisionist history..... that is looking back with 20/20 vision.... you have facts now that you didn't have then and trying to give yourself credit for being right.... but at the time his future was very much in doubt

Revisionist history is changing the facts of the past to fit a false narrative today