Twitter: Stephen Jones addresses Dez contract

Sydla

Reaction score
All I said is 800 yards can be replaced. pretty much by any of the top FA WR's. Hell, I wouldn't bet against one the guys we already have.

Which top FA WRs?

There is really only one "top FA" WRs available this year - Watkins. And he's going to get a decent sized contract. So it kind of defeats the purpose to cut Dez because he makes too much for what we get out of him and then drop another fairly large contract on a guy who might match what he gave us.

The other guy would be Pryor and frankly, he's an interesting name to me but was pretty shoddy last year playing with a good QB.

I looked at Spotrac's FA WR list. Of the entire list, guess how many have had 800 yards seasons in the last three years? 4. Pryor, Wallace, Decker and Watkins. Decker is a shell of himself with injuries. Wallace is 31. Watkins is going to get paid which defeats the purpose of cutting Bryant to save money at the WR spot.

That leaves Pryor. So let's not act like guys there are just a ton of guys out there that can give us 800+ yard seasons in FA.

EDIT: Marqise Lee as well. Frankly, I might have some interest in him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a lot TBH but there are still times when his ability to go up and bring down a football are the difference between winning and losing.

It's really a nice Plan B for us.

It's just not worth 16 mill a year unless you have an artist like Romo slinging the ball around.

Look at our game against GB in the playoffs @ Dallas. Dez was unreal in that game.

******. That game pisses me off.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Which top FA WRs?

There is really only one "top FA" WRs available this year - Watkins. And he's going to get a decent sized contract. So it kind of defeats the purpose to cut Dez because he makes too much for what we get out of him and then drop another fairly large contract on a guy who might match what he gave us.

The other guy would be Pryor and frankly, he's an interesting name to me but was pretty shoddy last year playing with a good QB.

I looked at Spotrac's FA WR list. Of the entire list, guess how many have had 800 yards seasons in the last three years? 4. Pryor, Wallace, Decker and Watkins. Decker is a shell of himself with injuries. Wallace is 31. Watkins is going to get paid which defeats the purpose of cutting Bryant to save money at the WR spot.

That leaves Pryor. So let's not act like guys there are just a ton of guys out there that can give us 800+ yard seasons in FA.

Witten, Beasley and Williams all put similar numbers. It's not close to impossible.

kskboys

Reaction score
NO! Dallas has rose colored glasses on when it comes to Dez, no one else does.
Yeah, w/ Dez's contract, you're looking at getting maybe a 3rd for him, and that's only if someone w/ tons of cap room bites. W/ CLEV losing Gordon, guess it's possible.

We covet our own players and always think they're way better than they are. Marion Barber, Craws. Didn't we even give Costa a pretty good contract?

The good thing is, that does seem be changing, even though we made the opposite mistake w/ Murray, underestimating what he brought to the team. They prolly listened to that ultra idiotic spew about meat on the bone. That ranks right up there w/ some of the dumbest things ever said.

Sydla

Reaction score
Nothing is for sure, Syd, but it's also not for sure that Dez will repeat that. He might have 600 yds, he might have 1,600. You're looking for sure things, and there are none.

Allen Robinson
Sammy Watkins
Terrelle Pryor
Marquise Lee
Donte Moncrief
Paul Richardson
Mike Wallace
Eric Decker

All of those guys could.

Let's start with the premise that the reason you guys want to cut Dez is he makes too much for what he gives you. So then why would you cut Dez, take a dead money hit and then sign another WR to a big contract? That makes no sense.

So with that in mind, take Watkins off the list as he's going to get paid. The Jags are talking about franchising Robinson and he's likely going to get paid if he hits FA. So both those guys don't fit what you claim will be regular #2s who can do what Bryant did in 2017. Oh, I am sure they can actually perform as good, if not better than Bryant, but it's going to come at a hefty price which defeats the purpose of even cutting Bryant.

Richardson has never had an 800+ yard season in the NFL. Decker is a shell of himself given injuries. Moncrief has never had an 800+ yard season. Wallace is 31.

So of the guys on your list that would come cheap AND would get you 800 yards would be likely Lee and maybe Pryor. And as I said above, I'd be very interested in them. But replacing Dez's 800 yards and 6 TDs with someone off the street in FA isn't as "easy" as you think. Especially if you are basically trying to match the production you would get with a comparable contract.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't conclude anything from that except some flatter for negotiation purposes. As far as trading him, how many teams are able and willing to pay his price to play? What teams don't have their #1WR? How many have a young QB in need of help and how has he helped his young QB?

They need to play hardball as he is the most overpaid player on the team but they have to consider the alternatives for their young QB. Going to bring in a high pick rook WR? Will that help or make it worse?

Is there any team that would be willing to pay him what he's due? Think other GM's and HC's don't see him getting played by mouthy DB's? And his stance when this last contract was up, not going to show and his stance now, not taking a cut. Why would any team trade for him when it is more likely that can just wait for him to be available. Then, it is highest bidder and sure as hell not going to be 14M a season.
Good points Coach...I’m late to this thread, so someone might have already said some of this.

For whatever reason, this FO has so overvalued the WR position that the team is now second in the NFL (behind only GB) in what we spend at the WR position. Currently we are set to spend $28.2 mil for this set of receivers and coupled with what we spend at the TE position, both receiver groups make up about 24% of our total cap space.

Regarding Dez...not only is he overpaid, I don’t even think the clowns in the brownies front office would trade for him with that contract and a rapidly declining skill set.

So this team has some key decisions to make. These are the likely options:
1. Make Dez accept a sizable pay cut and keep him, thus making 2018 a “show me you still have something” year.
2. Make Dez a post June 1 cut, saving $8 mil. I liked this option until I realized there’s not much of an improvement waiting out there because even a rookie top pick would take at least a year to get going and the FA market at WR is “meh”.
3. Stick with Dez’s contract through 2019. (Highly unlikely)
4. Look at restructuring several WR contracts (including Dez) Look at T-Will’s $4.75 mil contract and consider a cut there, or restructure some of Co,e Beasley’s $4.25 mil deal.

I see option 1 and 4 most likely.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
Well, Dez definitely can't take a pay-cut because he has to keep supporting his family that doesn't work and smokes weed at the house all day.

Yes, this is true.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Actually I think he is just trying to appease you discontented fans.

Dez will be back next year, maybe with a restructure but no way it will cost him money. JMO

Verdict

Reaction score
This is the first time I can honestly say I'm not sure Dez will be a 2018 Cowboy. But One thing I am 100% sure, he WILL NOT be released. With the thin crop of WRs in the draft and one, maybe two, free agents receiving tags from there team, Dez's trade value is pretty high IMO. No question we can get a 2nd rounder, maybe a first.

Another thought.....can we use his value to move into top 10 of the draft.....

You are dreaming. I hope you are right and I am wrong. I just think that anyone who believes we will get a high draft pick for Dez (unless we pay part of his salary) needs to put down the crack pipe.

Verdict

Reaction score
The draft is full of #2 WRs. Like it or not Dez is the closest thing to having a #1 WR next year. No free agent or draft pick will replace even Dez’s low production next year.

Perhaps they are able to draft someone that can be a #1 in 2 years and cut Dez next year but doing so this year would not be a wise decision

Dez is the closest thing to having a bowl of jello at wide receiver. Slippery, mushy and no real substance.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Let's start with the premise that the reason you guys want to cut Dez is he makes too much for what he gives you. So then why would you cut Dez, take a dead money hit and then sign another WR to a big contract? That makes no sense.

So with that in mind, take Watkins off the list as he's going to get paid. The Jags are talking about franchising Robinson and he's likely going to get paid if he hits FA. So both those guys don't fit what you claim will be regular #2s who can do what Bryant did in 2017. Oh, I am sure they can actually perform as good, if not better than Bryant, but it's going to come at a hefty price which defeats the purpose of even cutting Bryant.

Richardson has never had an 800+ yard season in the NFL. Decker is a shell of himself given injuries. Moncrief has never had an 800+ yard season. Wallace is 31.

So of the guys on your list that would come cheap AND would get you 800 yards would be likely Lee and maybe Pryor. And as I said above, I'd be very interested in them. But replacing Dez's 800 yards and 6 TDs with someone off the street in FA isn't as "easy" as you think. Especially if you are basically trying to match the production you would get with a comparable contract.
Who's "you guys" and "you guys want Dez cut to sign a top FA? Those were just examples given. Dez is way overpaid, period. And as I said before WR's we have on our roster already have produced as much if not more than Dez's 800.
Anyone notice the sky never fell when Dez wasn't on the field?

Verdict

Reaction score
Sammy Watkins and Donte Moncrief are probably the two most obvious names, given the connection with Lal. Of those, only Watkins is a legitimate replacement for Dez and is still a step down at that. Though he does give us the speed we're looking to add offensively.

Moncrief or a draft pick, or both, to replace Butler. Let them compete with Noah Brown for snaps. Dez' red zone looks maybe got to a player like Gathers if he makes the roster, more passes to Elliott, and continue the option keepers that Dak's good with.

It probably ends up being more expensive than keeping or extending Dez, but we get younger and more explosive with it, and the players all have ties to the staff.

The water boy is a legitimate replacement for Dez.

Verdict

Reaction score
Because we don't use the guy until we are desperate and then we'll throw him a 50/50 ball and if he doesn't bring it down he sucks.

Actually we force the ball to him and artificially inflate his statistics.

Verdict

Reaction score
Which top FA WRs?

Lee is 5 times the receiver Dez is.

Aven8

Reaction score
JG HAS to win this season so Dez will stay IMO, but maybe cut the salary to 10 million. We must get an above average #2 for this to work however. Twill sucks.