Twitter: Stephen Jones addresses Dez contract

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Williams is our #2 and Witten is our tightend. Lets get a legit replacement for Williams and a tight end who falls after 11 yard catches instead of 5 yards. If we do that youll see dez come back to life.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Williams is our #2 and Witten is our tightend. Lets get a legit replacement for Williams and a tight end who falls after 11 yard catches instead of 5 yards. If we do that youll see dez come back to life.
Or a QB that can hit open receivers

coult44

Reaction score
Well, Stephen has inherited Jerry's knack for using a lot of words to say absolutely nothing........he went from brass to paper then back to brass.

Add to this story that him, Jerry, and the and rest of this FO are at the bottom of the league as far as success go's, and again, it doesn't really matter what we do with Dez. The final outcome will most likely be the same.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
This is the first time I can honestly say I'm not sure Dez will be a 2018 Cowboy. But One thing I am 100% sure, he WILL NOT be released. With the thin crop of WRs in the draft and one, maybe two, free agents receiving tags from there team, Dez's trade value is pretty high IMO. No question we can get a 2nd rounder, maybe a first.

Another thought.....can we use his value to move into top 10 of the draft.....

Plenty of question. Jerry's loyal to a fault. If Dallas is looking to trade a big name player, it means they are also considering cutting him. Nobody will trade for a player they can sign. When's the last time Dallas traded a big name and go solid value?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I love Dez, huge fan, and it's hard for me to say this. But he belongs in the same discussion we put Tony in. What did he do to make a difference? Really? Same overall success, which is what.?

I have thought the exact same thing. The team wasn’t winning with him. If he is no longer here, at worst the team can still continue to not win.

It’s as if Cowboys fans are terrified losing a player is going to somehow prevent us from competing for championships when we really weren’t serious contenders with these guys.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The bottom line on Dez is this:

Q: Dez Bryant was disappointing in 2017, to say the least. It looked like his skills eroded to the point he’s no longer a No.1 WR in this league and may have even played his last game with the Cowboys. Is that an accurate assessment?

A: I don’t believe it is. Dez is now 29 so to say his skills are eroding is scientifically correct to some degree but I don’t think it’s what led to his disappointing 2017 season. The number one thing that hurt Dez Bryant in 2017 was Dez Bryant’s attitude. That sounds like an oversimplification but let me explain…

As we all saw last season, the routes by Cowboys receivers were pretty predictable. It allowed opposing cornerbacks to sit on them and contest virtually every reception. Combine that with Dak Prescott’s less-than-accurate throws and you have a very frustrating situation for Dez.

Dez Bryant, arguably the most emotional player in the NFL, let that get to him. You could see it, not only on the sideline, but in the way he played. He pouted and mailed it in far too many times. Bob Strum collected film on all of his drops and highlighted how little effort Dez gave to some balls. Dez Bryant of 2015 wouldn’t have done that.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...lawrence-and-what-to-do-with-anthony-hitchens

cern

Reaction score
Dez's diminishing skills have more to with injuries the last few years. He hears footsteps now. He looks to see who's going to deliver the hit and loses focus on the ball. Too bad, really. But just one of the nfl's realities. He's not the first and won't be the last. Time to move on.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The bottom line on Dez is this:

Q: Dez Bryant was disappointing in 2017, to say the least. It looked like his skills eroded to the point he’s no longer a No.1 WR in this league and may have even played his last game with the Cowboys. Is that an accurate assessment?

A: I don’t believe it is. Dez is now 29 so to say his skills are eroding is scientifically correct to some degree but I don’t think it’s what led to his disappointing 2017 season. The number one thing that hurt Dez Bryant in 2017 was Dez Bryant’s attitude. That sounds like an oversimplification but let me explain…

As we all saw last season, the routes by Cowboys receivers were pretty predictable. It allowed opposing cornerbacks to sit on them and contest virtually every reception. Combine that with Dak Prescott’s less-than-accurate throws and you have a very frustrating situation for Dez.

Dez Bryant, arguably the most emotional player in the NFL, let that get to him. You could see it, not only on the sideline, but in the way he played. He pouted and mailed it in far too many times. Bob Strum collected film on all of his drops and highlighted how little effort Dez gave to some balls. Dez Bryant of 2015 wouldn’t have done that.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...lawrence-and-what-to-do-with-anthony-hitchens

Dez has already admitted that he didn't have his head in the game last season...................that's probably why the lack of effort was noticeable

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TWill, Butler and Witten had above catch percentages. The vast majority of Butler's catches were deep (21 yards/catch vs 12 for Dez).

cern

Reaction score
the last time there was a tale about dez and his money, he was on top of the world. he handled the negotiations petulantly and in the end won out. but it won't be the same this time. even dez can't deny the stats. he's played poorly the last 3 years. and now he's hearing from management it's looking like a pay cut or sayonara. last year he nixed the pay cut idea. this year he's remaining silent. he's seeing the writing on the wall. the last grains of gold dust falling thru the hour glass. he ponders how he can take a cut and come out looking like a hero instead of a goat. what's a diva to do?

mugsybows

Reaction score
Me: “i don’t think anyone can be worse than Jerry.”

Stephen Jones: “hold my beer”

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I sincerely hope we keep Dez. I would like if he took a 5mn paycut this year with all of it either being converted into performance bonuses (1mn for 900 yards, 1mn for 8 tds, 1mn for 1100 yards, 1mn for 11 tds, 1mn for 1250 yards)

mugsybows

Reaction score
If we lose dez I don’t see Stephen going after the guys you want. We all know he’s a bargain bin shopper in free agency

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we lose dez I don’t see Stephen going after the guys you want. We all know he’s a bargain bin shopper in free agency
Stephen might sell cutting Dez to Jerry by saying they can sign a free agent replacement.

Then Stephen might spend some of the 12.5M saved from cutting Dez on a free agent but likely only one that will do a 1-year deal. Allen Robinson might sign a 1-year prove it deal after missing last season with a blown out knee. There might be some older players that would do a 1-year deal (Jordy Nelson if cut by GB, etc.).

CCBoy

Reaction score
Stephen might sell cutting Dez to Jerry by saying they can sign a free agent replacement.

Then Stephen might spend some of the 12.5M saved from cutting Dez on a free agent but likely only one that will do a 1-year deal. Allen Robinson might sign a 1-year prove it deal after missing last season with a blown out knee. There might be some older players that would do a 1-year deal (Jordy Nelson if cut by GB, etc.).

X...think it might be judicious to bring Dez's salary down to realistic and trade up into the draft and get the desired WR?

MileyDancer

Reaction score
"This is a business and we all have to be held accountable".............Stephen Jones

So Coach Clappy can go 8 freaking years with just a single Wildcard win and misses the playoffs dam near 75% of the time and Stephen doesn't say jack about it:huh:

I am not defending Dez, but if I am him I tell Jerry and his idiot boy that when Clappy starts being held accountable then we can talk about me being held accountable. Until then, SUCK IT
Want to throw up? The new T-shirt slogan this year is supposed to be ....wait for it.....ACCOUNTABILITY.