Twitter: Stephen Jones - free agency an area they need to improve

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Blame another member of the Garrett family who has a job he's not qualifued for -Judd Garrett.

He was the director of Pro scouting while we were signing these bums. He's since been replaced by Alex Loomis but is still somehow employed by the organization.

Apparently, Garrett's can't fail, even when they obviously do.

Of course we don't know what kind of budget he had to work with, nor the priorities given to him. It seems the organization has committed to not spending big bucks in free agency unless it is to re-sign their own players.

mugsybows

Reaction score
looks like our front office is right on schedule!

giphy.gif

2GCm0vt

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It comes down to the budget
You can evaluate all you want but go out and try to find a capable nfl player for a couple million a year is just not gonna create many good players
I get why they haven’t spent huge but I’d rather sign one good player and spend everything on him as opposed to 4 crappy players even if it meant my depth was UDFA

Actually, it doesn't. It comes down to doing a better job of evaluating players. There were bargains to be had and good players to be signed. At the same or lower rates than what they paid for bums like Thornton and Carroll.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course we don't know what kind of budget he had to work with, nor the priorities given to him. It seems the organization has committed to not spending big bucks in free agency unless it is to re-sign their own players.

But that's not an excuse.

They signed Carroll for $4 million. $1 million less than what Claiborne got in New York. $2 million less than Carr got in Baltimore. The Eagles got Patrick Robinson for about $1 million.

It's not just about dollars, it's about proper evaluation.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But that's not an excuse.

They signed Carroll for $4 million. $1 million less than what Claiborne got in New York. $2 million less than Carr got in Baltimore. The Eagles got Patrick Robinson for about $1 million.

It's not just about dollars, it's about proper evaluation.

Fair enough.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It comes down to the budget
You can evaluate all you want but go out and try to find a capable nfl player for a couple million a year is just not gonna create many good players
I get why they haven’t spent huge but I’d rather sign one good player and spend everything on him as opposed to 4 crappy players even if it meant my depth was UDFA

This, my friend, is the nut of the problem............:hammer:What's scary to me, is he's just figuring it out. Sign a bunch of bottom feeders and expect the play like all pros. Stephen Jones is FINALLY being exposed.......

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This just in -- we're not very good at wheeling and dealing with Free Agency. On another front . . . water is wet! :D

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Every now and again you find a bargain free agent acquisition. However, when the message from the owner is go find us players that can contribute for a deep bargain it doesn't give you a high probability of success. Hopefully they go out this season and find atleast 1 player that's a significant upgrade at safety, 1tech, or guard. At this point I rather them spend more on 1 player than squeezing out 2 to 3 million dollar contracts for a few below average to average players. Atleast we can upgrade somewhere and crosses off one position for the draft.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whoever works on evaluating other NFL teams personal needs to fired from this FO

Yet, even that I wont think will fix anything because it also comes down to the coaching staff evaluating needs and pounding on the table for the resources to get spent to make the moves.
Garrett's brother was over Pro Scouting and has been demoted.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Good signings and trades
Butler - our most productive WR on a per snap basis. Should have been use more. He was exactly what we needed in 2017 - the only guy who could stretch the field - and we didn't use him
Cooper - passed over by Chaz Green at LG, until Chaz proved be a big fail
McFadden - it was odd how they completely phased him out in 2017, when he played so well in 2015
Mayowa - was actually plenty productive in around 36% of the defensive snaps in the last two years
Led the team in sacks in 2016. Only 1 sack in 2017, but I don't remember him getting many pass rush opportunities.

All those guys have more impact if they played more. We chose to play guys under contract instead.

Even Blanton - the fact was that we hit on our picks for the secondary. There was no guarantee that would be the case.

You can't judge the free agent signings by their production, because we sign them as bridges hoping that our picks will do better. And for the most part, they did.

Stinkers
Thornton, Paea, Carroll

You win some, you lose some. People are overplaying the failure on signings and trades.