Twitter: Stephen Jones - free agency an area they need to improve

stiletto

Reaction score
Worst in the league at Free Agency, probably Browns level of competence. Someone said to me today "well at least the Commanders aren't getting better". I live in the DC area....but what a low bar to hold onto. Sad and pathetic. I know it is early but I can only go by recent history. The organization has had a horrid few off-seasons with a few bright spots in the draft. Overall, it has not been good. I as a fan feel like we are getting left behind. Jerry is OK to give millions in fine money but not pay obvious Free Agent upgrades?? Horrid. Worst cap managers in the league!

revospeed

Reaction score
It's tough to be active in free agency because we're the only team in the league that has dead money on the books. We're the only team in the league that has to put some money back to sign some of our own players. We're much the only team in the league that must adhere to the salary cap. That's why we're stuck with bargain bin shopping in free agency while every other team has the ability to make their team better.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’ll believe it when I see it.

This front office really has no idea how to use FA properly.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I’ll believe it when I see it.

This front office really has no idea how to use FA properly.

I think we're starting the see the real disadvantage of GM and Cap guy being father and son AND OWNERS. No sense of urgency..... Other GMs and VP of operations around the league know, most have a 5 yr window, either produce or their azz is out of a job. Not so with Jerry and Stephen.......they have lifelong contracts. LOL ........what GM is allowed to sit on the same coach for 10 years with Garrett's postseason record?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It comes down to the budget
You can evaluate all you want but go out and try to find a capable nfl player for a couple million a year is just not gonna create many good players
I get why they haven’t spent huge but I’d rather sign one good player and spend everything on him as opposed to 4 crappy players even if it meant my depth was UDFA

It is the price you pay when you are not willing to pay the price.

We can throw blame at Will McClay, but it's hard to buy prime rib when you're only given a few dollars to work with. Now, I don't know if McClay sold Jerry and Stephen on free agents not being worth the money or if that's a philosophy they hung around his neck.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This is pathetic.
Lol, Stephen is the future GM!
Cowboys have a great future ahead lol.

They don't build, they fix, and think every year is a SB year.
They primarily focus on offense,
and defense suffers due to that

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have to love the sheer arrogance of it and the complete insult of the intelligence level of the fan base.

Here you have a completely incompetent boob whose failed heading the personnel and cap here for two decades and he's acting mystified by failing in free agency last year. As if that's not the norm. And they will get to the bottom of what possibly could be wrong. As if it's not him and his daddy. The same wrong it's always been. Pretending it'll be corrected, except we know he himself is the problem and he's not going anywhere. so it will not be corrected. But he thinks so little of the fans that he actually believes they will buy that.

A team with no talent evaluators at the top and no cap room per usual had a bad FA class? What possibly could have gone wrong? It's a mystery that might never be solved.

kevm3

Reaction score
get a general manager. I don't know why this is so hard. The media should be calling the Jones's out but they are probably getting paid whether indirectly or directly, so they won't say anything. Maybe in 10 to 20 years Stephen or someone will learn to be a serviceable GM.