Twitter: Stephen Jones - free agency an area they need to improve

erod

Reaction score
Meanwhile.....

The Eagles added Michael Bennett.

And the Giants added Alec Ogletree and are about to draft Saquon Barkley.

Yikes.

The Cowboys could have REALLY used Ogletree.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Meanwhile.....

The Eagles added Michael Bennett.

And the Giants added Alec Ogletree and are about to draft Saquon Barkley.

Yikes.

The Cowboys could have REALLY used Ogletree.

I never wanted Michael Bennett anyway. However, Ogletree would have been a nice addition. And they got a steal with that deal.

erod

Reaction score
I never wanted Michael Bennett anyway. However, Ogletree would have been a nice addition. And they got a steal with that deal.

The Eagles added an excellent pass rusher to an excellent pass rush.

A year ago, we were a lap ahead of them. Now they're two laps ahead of us.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Ummmmm yup
Obviously? Used it twice so it must not have been obvious that those players were available for a reason. When does it become "obvious"?

Ever noticed the stock answer from everyone in the Cowboys organization, including Romo, has always been "we've got to get better at that"? Are those the magic words? Just speaking them causes that to happen?

Reactions: BAT

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The Eagles added an excellent pass rusher to an excellent pass rush.

A year ago, we were a lap ahead of them. Now they're two laps ahead of us.

Fair enough, and your point is taken. It's just that I don't like Bennett as a person.

Sydla

Reaction score
Here's some suggestions for Stephen:

1) Stop listening to your coaches on who they want. Paea, Carroll........... those were guys Marinelli wanted. You've let Marinelli dictate personnel on defense because he's stubborn in his system. Hence why we invest zero in 1 Techs other than guys Marinelli really likes because they hustle.

2) Along those lines, sign guys who have talent and can play, not guys that you think fit our "system". As if you believe the system is so good that it will make the player better. You've handcuffed our roster to what Garrett and Marinelli want and need. For example, you ignored the fact Carroll sucked because Marinelli told you he'd be an ideal zone CB for you. This holds for the draft. I have a feeling you are going to take an OG at 19 because that's what your step brother Jason will want you to draft so he can complete the OL like it's a set of collectibles. Further, when you say we won't invest a premium pick in a 1 Tech, you are just confirming to us that you don't have a ********* clue what you are doing.

3) Realize that there is this WIDE swath of FA between the crap you sign and the elite contracts given out. Use it. Take some risks on some one year deals on guys who want to prove something.

4) And for the love of God, ignore your father.

5) And for the love of God II, shut yours and your father's mouths. You guys certainly love to hear yourselves talk. I guess it's an ego thing where you want to show people you guys know football. But you hurt yourself when you talk too much. Look at the great team builders in the NFL. Find me one that is loose with their lips than you two?

Last edited:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Obviously? Used it twice so it must not have been obvious that those players were available for a reason. When does it become "obvious"?

Ever noticed the stock answer from everyone in the Cowboys organization, including Romo, has always been "we've got to get better at that"? Are those the magic words? Just speaking them causes that to happen?

'Speak it into existence'......LaVar Ball.

Maybe we can get one of the Ball boys to play for us soon.

erod

Reaction score
Fair enough, and your point is taken. It's just that I don't like Bennett as a person.

I don't like Bennett either and wouldn't want someone that poor in integrity on the squad.

But that doesn't mean he won't be a problem for us on Sundays.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we start using that as a qualifier, we might struggle more. Best to divorce the person from the player because we only watch the player.

The Eagles continue to shore up a very good defense and the unhappiest person about their latest acquisition might be our QB. Their DL was already better than our OL and now they've just taken another step up.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't like Bennett either and wouldn't want someone that poor in integrity on the squad.

But that doesn't mean he won't be a problem for us on Sundays.

Oh, no doubt. I'd like us to make a deal for a high quality pass rusher. It also, I think, might put more pressure on us to keep our oline in top form. Which is why I think our first 2 draft picks should be Hernandez or Wynn at 19 and then Mata'afa (who I think is a very underrated DE) at 50. This would solidify our oline while giving us also a very solid pass rusher of our own.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If we start using that as a qualifier, we might struggle more. Best to divorce the person from the player because we only watch the player.

The Eagles continue to shore up a very good defense and the unhappiest person about their latest acquisition might be our QB. Their DL was already better than our OL and now they've just taken another step up.

Normally, I'd agree. However, his actions with the LVMPD are reprehensible and revolting. I'd overlook a lot about him, but that is one thing I'd struggle significantly to overlook.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Oh, no doubt. I'd like us to make a deal for a high quality pass rusher. It also, I think, might put more pressure on us to keep our oline in top form. Which is why I think our first 2 draft picks should be Hernandez or Wynn at 19 and then Mata'afa (who I think is a very underrated DE) at 50. This would solidify our oline while giving us also a very solid pass rusher of our own.

Well thats the biggest problem with the way we are doing things.

Its not like other teams aren't drafting also. Are we arrogant enough to believe that we draft better than the rest of the league so we don't have to do any trades or pick up good free agents??

Been saying it every since they mentioned building through the draft, every team does that, but they do more than us in other areas. We are fighting a losing battle.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well thats the biggest problem with the way we are doing things.

Its not like other teams are drafting also. Are we arrogant enough to believe that we draft better than the rest of the league so we don't have to do any trades or pick up good free agents??

Been saying it every since they mentioned building through the draft, every team does that, but they do more than us in other areas. We are fighting a losing battle.

I do agree with this, and I think signing some quality DEs and LBers would be a great idea.

Here's a list of DEs: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/defensive-end/

And here's LBers: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/linebacker/

Reactions: BAT

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Every free agent is available for a reason.. As for stock answers, that isn't unique to people associated with the Cowboys. They live in a world where a reporter is in their faces every day, and they have to say something. It's common to get through that kind of world with a lot of stock answers. We can't expect golden nuggets or great insight.

Sydla

Reaction score
Every free agent is available for a reason.. As for stock answers, that isn't unique to people associated with the Cowboys. They live in a world where a reporter is in their faces every day, and they have to say something. It's common to get through that kind of world with a lot of stock answers. We can't expect golden nuggets or great insight.

Frankly, I wish Jerry and Stephen would talk a lot less. I don't need golden nuggets or insights from them.

I need them to do better at their jobs as GM of this team.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Frankly, I wish Jerry and Stephen would talk a lot less. I don't need golden nuggets or insights from them.

I need them to do better at their jobs as GM of this team.

I don't disagree, but they have chosen to run the team instead of hiring others to do so, so we are stuck with them

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't disagree, but they have chosen to run the team instead of hiring others to do so, so we are stuck with them

I get that. But if they want to be the GM, start acting like other top GMs, who don't pop off to the media like the Jones' do.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I get that. But if they want to be the GM, start acting like other top GMs, who don't pop off to the media like the Jones' do.

Well we do have to face the reality that they both love attention, and own the team so they really don't have to work that hard.

I do think they love the Cowboys, but if they have a choice of flying to Aspen or working the phones for trades.....I think we know the choice.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Again, I don't disagree, but the reason they want to do it themselves rather than hire a GM is they want to be in the middle of everything. I don't like it, but that's how it is. I would love another Clint Murchison type owner

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well we do have to face the reality that they both love attention, and own the team so they really don't have to work that hard.

I do think they love the Cowboys, but if they have a choice of flying to Aspen or working the phones for trades.....I think we know the choice.

I have zero doubt that the choice would be to work the phone for trades, I just don't think they are very proficient at playing the game of juggling personnel and salary cap and trades.